Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1388 - Halloween Horror Nights 27 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby CPmillenia94 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:56 pm

1. Dragons Ice
2. Hulk
3. Dragons Fire
4. H:RRR
5. Mummy
6. Gringotts

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:09 pm

1. Men in Black
2. Old Poseidon's Fury
3. Jaws
4. Spiderman
5.Ripsaw Falls

I Love Donkeys!

Postby AUWent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:33 pm

BlahBlahson wrote:Universal really needs to can it with the fully screened attractions. People are growing tired of them. Kong got bad guest reviews, Fallon will too, and Fast and Furious probably will as well. I can ride Hulk and Doom all day but these are really a once-ever experience.

What's bizzare is that the best ones are way older and the further they stray from real effects the worse they get. Spiderman is great because of the whole package of the set interaction with it. Forbidden Journey is mind-blowing with the transitions and extra Theming (it's a shame the storyline is very quick and hard to follow). T2 is decent because of the real acting and effects, the movie part is fairly boring.

Transformers uses more screens and less Theming, and doesn't really match Spiderman. Gringott's uses more screen time, and doesn't really match FJ. Kong is basically disaster, but with completely CGI effects instead of crazy flooding and fire. Fallon is just Europe in the air, a worse Soarin' with no replay value. Hopefully they will make some Hybrid rides with Nintendo Land, even though the IP totally does lend itself to screens.

I can agree with you here. Thankfully it doesn't sound like Nintendo Land will rely on screens the same way Kong, Fallon, FF, Transformers, and Gringotts do (I'm willing to forgive Gringotts just because of how good the queue is, and the ride mechanism is a lot of fun as well--though it is the type of ride that takes a long time to experience mainly because of how important the queue is to the experience).

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree with the notion that HP is the "only reason" worth visiting UO. MiB, Mummy, Horror Makeup Show, Spidey, Hulk, Dudley, even Poseidon's Fury (never saw the old one but I love it) are all great IMO.

BTW was I the only one who liked Disaster?

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 pm

AUWent wrote:
BlahBlahson wrote:Universal really needs to can it with the fully screened attractions. People are growing tired of them. Kong got bad guest reviews, Fallon will too, and Fast and Furious probably will as well. I can ride Hulk and Doom all day but these are really a once-ever experience.

What's bizzare is that the best ones are way older and the further they stray from real effects the worse they get. Spiderman is great because of the whole package of the set interaction with it. Forbidden Journey is mind-blowing with the transitions and extra Theming (it's a shame the storyline is very quick and hard to follow). T2 is decent because of the real acting and effects, the movie part is fairly boring.

Transformers uses more screens and less Theming, and doesn't really match Spiderman. Gringott's uses more screen time, and doesn't really match FJ. Kong is basically disaster, but with completely CGI effects instead of crazy flooding and fire. Fallon is just Europe in the air, a worse Soarin' with no replay value. Hopefully they will make some Hybrid rides with Nintendo Land, even though the IP totally does lend itself to screens.

I can agree with you here. Thankfully it doesn't sound like Nintendo Land will rely on screens the same way Kong, Fallon, FF, Transformers, and Gringotts do (I'm willing to forgive Gringotts just because of how good the queue is, and the ride mechanism is a lot of fun as well--though it is the type of ride that takes a long time to experience mainly because of how important the queue is to the experience).

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree with the notion that HP is the "only reason" worth visiting UO. MiB, Mummy, Horror Makeup Show, Spidey, Hulk, Dudley, even Poseidon's Fury (never saw the old one but I love it) are all great IMO.

BTW was I the only one who liked Disaster?

I like that I got picked and made the crowd laugh with a really bad Justin Beiber impression. Also Exploding Grandma!
- Also I didn't ride Dudley but Popeye & Bluto is pretty cool.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club
Joined January 30, 2015

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby DorneyKid14 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 am

Looks like Universal Orlando will be adding 4,000 hotel rooms to the wet n wild spot. Plans were filed with city of Orlando.
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am

1. Mummy
2. Spider-Man
3. Dragons
4. Gringott's
5. Kong

Postby coasterbill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 am

Hey guys! We have a Florida trip coming up in a few months and I had a few questions...

We weren't planning on doing a Florida trip this year, but I was surfing around on the Allegiant Airlines website (I love them by the way... like so much) and something popped up that was too good to turn down, so now we're heading to Orlando on Friday June 9th (at night, after work) and flying back Monday afternoon (June 12th).

We're flying to Tampa (well... PIE, Allegiant isn't fancy enough for TPA) so we're planning on hitting BGT for a few hours before we have to head out on Monday (we have Busch / Sea World season passes). That leaves us with all day Saturday and Sunday to hit some parks in Orlando. One of those days has to (of course) be spent at Sea World so Brit doesn't divorce me before we even get married, but I'm sort of torn between Disney and Universal for the other day.

I'm leaning towards Universal, but I had a few questions.

- Is there generally a major difference between crowd levels on a Saturday or a Sunday? I'd rather hit Sea World (and of course Fun Spot) on Sunday, but lines are less of an issue there (and aside from Mako, we've done everything a ton) so if there's a major benefit to going to Universal on a Sunday as opposed to a Saturday we can switch that.

- We're on the fence about the skip the line passes. Normally the argument is that since we spent so much on airfare and everything we might as well spring for it, but the truth is we didn't spend sh*t on airfare because we're flying Allegiant and the cost from Trenton to Tampa, round trip, total for both of us was less expensive than a one day Universal 2 park ticket for 1 person. We weren't going at all since we're trying to save for a wedding but I can't help myself sometimes ;)

We don't mind missing some things we've ridden before. We want to spend a good deal of time in Diagon Alley and aside from that the only must-ride things are probably Forbidden Journey, Kong, Simpsons, Spiderman, Transformers the 3 major coasters and Ripsaw Falls / River Adventure. Is skipping the express pass a mistake or is that reasonable?

- Am I correct in my understanding that you don't get the express pass if you stay at Cabana Bay?

- Any good option for discounted 1 day park-to-park tickets? If not, that's fine, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks guys!

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 am

Mmm.. PIE. -- Undercover Tourist is the only legit / not sketchy / timeshare ridden / site I know of that sells 1 day discount tickets. The price their includes tax whereas at the universal site I don't believe it does. It's not a huge discount. That said you are spending $175 per ticket since its peak (plus parking?) and that to me is absolutely insane. Maybe because I used to have an annual pass so I'm biased and bitter, but, damn.

From what I remember Saturdays and Sundays arnt much different in the Orlando area. It no longer matters when you go, its crowded.

You listed 10 rides so that's $17+ per ride per person provided you get to everything. Plus the cost of butterbeer :) -- That's without express. Granted there is more to the experience than just the rides.

Good luck. I guess I just don't see the value with all the Universal price hikes as of late especially when you have Busch, SeaWorld and fun spot with rides that aren't just screens and simulators. I havnt lived in Florida for a few years but things have only gotten worse from what I hear.

No express for Cabana Bay.

Someone who lives their now can probably give you better crowd details than myself.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. Just spend 2 days at Busch or go to Cedar Point instead ;)

You didn't mention, when WAS the last time you were at Universal? Just to get an idea of what's new for you.

Postby coasterbill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 am

I'll be honest, I was pretty blown away by the price compared to what it was a few years ago. Generally our Florida trips don't include the Disney or Universal parks since I honestly prefer Busch Tampa and Brit's in love with Sea World but we're in the mood for something a little different (though we'll still hit those parks).

Our last visit to Universal was in the spring of 2013, so after Jaws closed but while Diagonal Alley was still under construction.

As for the rides, those are the "must-ride" attractions but of course there are a lot of others we'd love to ride. Luckily we rode pretty much everything last time (with Express passes) so as long as we get on those things, I'm happy.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Sorry I know it's a Universal thread but you said it was between this and Disney.... when was the last time you were at Disney / what parks have you been to? You seem like an Epcot kind of guy (though you'd be missing one of the food festivals by a few days -- then again if you are watching your pennies that adds up QUICK; but it's still awesome!!). I'm guessing the new stuff at AK is going to be insanely busy but at the same time it's all new and I know nothing about it or if it would be worth visiting. With SeaWorld and Busch you may already be getting your animal fix so I recommend Epcot for a change of pace and with the money you'd be saving you can eat a lot!. Let me know if you have any questions or PM me since I stopped following the Disney threads.

My fiancee says go to the bar INSIDE Mexico on the right hand side and get a margarita because it will quote: "f you up" lol

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!