Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1388 - Halloween Horror Nights 27 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 am

RollerManic wrote:I wish Universal would have somehow incorporated a standby line into this attraction, but I fear they would have made the lounge queueing experience up-charge if so.

Considering that the attraction apparently starts off as a taping of the Tonight Show, I feel like the physical queue kind of makes sense the way it is. You have the lobby where you're waiting to get in the day of your taping, the second section where you have the pre-show entertainment and then the ride vehicle / theater where the show happens. I've never been to a late-night taping myself, so I'm just making assumptions here, but I think that it's at least logical, even though the pre-show stuff happens in the theater itself in real life. Making that experience up-charge would fly in the face of traditional story / experience conventions, and I feel like I would have been glad that they did it the way they did, had I had already ridden it (which again, I haven't).

Right now at least, I personally do think that a virtual queuing system is good / appropriate under the right circumstances and with the right implementation, but I'm not sure I'm ready to call it an end-all solution - yet! It's tricky.

I don't think that everyone is just mentally trained to physically wait in line, especially now that everything else in our lives is becoming more and more instantaneous. At the same time, I do not like the possibility of spending all my money on a big theme park vacation only to be turned down from riding the newest attraction. But that's me as an individual guest, with his own likes / dislikes that may not be the same as others, talking.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby necoastergp » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:08 pm

IMG_0084.JPG
Universal announced its Holiday plans this morning including Xmas in the Wizarding World and holiday projections on Hogwarts.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/universal-orlando-holidays-2017/

NEW HOLIDAY ENTERTAINMENT INCLUDING CHRISTMAS AT THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER

Michael Aiello April 13, 2017

Since 2010, you’ve been able to step into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort and become a part of the iconic moments from the books and films.

I’m happy to share that even more magic is coming.

For the first time at Universal Orlando Resort, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will transform for the most wonderful time of year – Christmas.

Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Festive garland décor, each with its own unique detail, will complement the shops and architecture. These fantastic textures will surround you as you wander the streets of both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

You’ll also be able to enjoy new holiday food, drink and entertainment throughout both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. I can already hear the Frog Choir rehearsing their new numbers!

The Christmas celebration will crescendo nightly as a festive spell will be cast onto Hogwarts castle, cascading it in décor, candlelight and festive moments inspired by the films. Using the latest in mapped projection technology, Hogwarts Castle will transform itself into a yuletide display, gifting fans with an amazing, new view.

The holidays have always been a special time for Hogwarts students. And we’re going to capture that same spirit, allowing you to experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter like never before.

New Holiday Parade

And that’s not all.

This year, we’re introducing the new Universal’s Holiday Parade featuring Macy’s, the global leader in balloon entertainment. You’ll enjoy newly designed floats, festive balloons and your favorite Universal characters in Universal Studios Florida.

Santa Claus is going to have his hands full as the Minions bring merry and mayhem to the parade, along with Dreamworks characters from Madagascar and Shrek.

We’re also partnering with Macy’s, the global leader in balloon entertainment, to bring this parade to life.

All of these holiday experiences will run daily starting Nov. 18, 2017 through Jan. 6, 2018.

This is just a taste of what’s to come. Stay tuned to the blog for more details and sneak peeks, as we get closer to the holiday season.
Coasters: 106 (Steel:90 Wood:16) Parks:19

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm

That looks great, I'm sure the parks will be packed for these events.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby AUWent » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:24 pm

A.J. wrote:
RollerManic wrote:I wish Universal would have somehow incorporated a standby line into this attraction, but I fear they would have made the lounge queueing experience up-charge if so.

Considering that the attraction apparently starts off as a taping of the Tonight Show, I feel like the physical queue kind of makes sense the way it is. You have the lobby where you're waiting to get in the day of your taping, the second section where you have the pre-show entertainment and then the ride vehicle / theater where the show happens. I've never been to a late-night taping myself, so I'm just making assumptions here, but I think that it's at least logical, even though the pre-show stuff happens in the theater itself in real life. Making that experience up-charge would fly in the face of traditional story / experience conventions, and I feel like I would have been glad that they did it the way they did, had I had already ridden it (which again, I haven't).

Right now at least, I personally do think that a virtual queuing system is good / appropriate under the right circumstances and with the right implementation, but I'm not sure I'm ready to call it an end-all solution - yet! It's tricky.

I don't think that everyone is just mentally trained to physically wait in line, especially now that everything else in our lives is becoming more and more instantaneous. At the same time, I do not like the possibility of spending all my money on a big theme park vacation only to be turned down from riding the newest attraction. But that's me as an individual guest, with his own likes / dislikes that may not be the same as others, talking.

I have no interest in riding this, but dayum this sounds like a good pre-show.

I am annoying as f**k!!!

Postby Henry M » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:22 pm

This may sound stupid, but does the new hulk count as a new coaster cred, as it is essentially re built? Is is like the Ship of Theseus all over again.
Note to self: don't be stupid...

Current top coaster = Expedition GeForce.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby RollerManic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

^Its the same experience, so no. And this is coming from someone who counts the floorless conversions as new credits.
1. El Toro | 2. Maverick | 3. Mako | 4. NTAG | 5. Nitro

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:37 pm

It's all up to you, really. Highly debatable, though. I can see the arguments for both sides.
Steel: 177 | Wood: 55 | Total: 232

Last Coaster Ridden: Mr. Freeze at SFSTL on 9/30/17.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm

RollerManic wrote:^Its the same experience, so no. And this is coming from someone who counts the floorless conversions as new credits.

I would agree with you that it's not a new credit since nothing really changed. And yes, I count floorless conversions as new credits too.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Mako
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CoasterDirected » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm torn on it because I don't count conversions or relocations because it's "same track, same credit" but with Hulk it is nearly the same ride experience even though its a new track. I'm just gonna wait until I ride it and decide if it was different enough from when I rode it a few years ago.
Top 10 Favorite Coasters
Steel:
1. Fury 325 2. Maverick 3. Millennium Force 4. New Texas Giant 5. Mako 6. Top Thrill Dragster 7. Cheetah Hunt 8. Diamondback 9. Banshee 10. Storm Chaser
Wood:
1. Goliath 2. Outlaw Run 3. Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. Thunderhead 6. Beast 7. Boss 8. Cornball Express 9. Legend 10. American Thunder

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 pm

So have we heard if anything will be put in place to cover the back side of the mountain at Volcano Bay?
IMG_3015.JPG

I'm hearing that, aside from the scaffolding on the side of the mountain and the cranes, that this is how the backside of the mountain is going to look. Has anyone heard anything more? Thoughts on this?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!