Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1388 - Halloween Horror Nights 27 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 pm

I remember that, and that actually makes a ton of sense. You may very likely be on to something.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 pm

robbalvey wrote:I'm going to make the assumption right now that WILL end up being the case as soon as pissed off guests complain that they aren't allowed to ride something RIGHT NOW that clearly has no line.

There has be a threshold worked in. I'm actually doing a project where I'm analyzing the ups and downs of this sort of system. The only way I personally have made it [theoretically] work is to allow for standby guests until the queue length reaches a certain point (I've designated ten minutes) to then switch it to reservation mode with return times based on how many people are experiencing the attraction over a period of time.

In reality though, I'm definitely skeptical (yet optimistic) about how this will work in a water park, where you have to hike your way up a billion flights of stairs anyway. It's not like a theme park with a roller coaster or flat ride, which you could theoretically just walk right onto. Perhaps they want to deliberately keep less people in the queue to make the queue / show experience a little more intimate or quiet.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:17 pm

kenban wrote:First, a little history, the original design for Rip Ride Rockit was that there would not be anti-roll back mechanisms on the lift hill and they would evac the lift by just putting it in reverse. Universal was required to change this before the ride opened to add anti-roll backs which is why the lift hill was built twice.

About a year or two ago the ride had a problem where a train was stuck in an MCBR preventing a train which was on the lift hill from continuing. Universal ended up having to call the fire department who had to lower the guests one at a time by rope. Typically when something like this occurs and the park needs outside assistance to evac a ride they are required to change the ride to prevent the issue from reoccurring.

This is complete speculation but we might actually be looking at magnetic brakes not just trims. When these are enabled they could be designed to slow the train so much during the drop that it would immediately valley at the bottom of the lift hill. That way guests can be removed from the ride by a cherry picker instead of by the fire department.

Because I just cannot see lining the whole drop with trim brakes. It would be complete overkill to put that many on the ride to make what would likely be minor adjustments.

Yeah sorry, I should have explained more. I meant if a train doesn't make it up to the first block, and valleys after the non-inverting loop, this could stop the next train. I mean, we are talking about a ride that seems like it has been slowly home built. Which despite it's oddities, is actually a really fun ride/layout with some good airtime in my opinion.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 pm

^ The Rockit was the surprise hit of my visit a few years ago. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but the drops had really good airtime, the turns had good forces, and the ride was smooth.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 am

^Agree! When me n' tha fam were there a couple years ago, it was the surprise hit for us all.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:04 am

I like Rockit, too--especially the non-inverting loop.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:19 pm

I like Rock It for the layout and how unique some of the elements are. Airtime at the top of a non-inverting loop is something I've never experienced before. But when I rode it two weeks ago, it was bouncing laterally very hard during the entire ride course and it felt like those X-Cars are tearing the structure apart.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:47 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:I like Rock It for the layout and how unique some of the elements are. Airtime at the top of a non-inverting loop is something I've never experienced before. But when I rode it two weeks ago, it was bouncing laterally very hard during the entire ride course and it felt like those X-Cars are tearing the structure apart.

Were you in the front or back car? I always felt the ride would be so much better if it ran single cars.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MN16 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:26 pm

I just got back from a week in Orlando and spent 2 days at Universal Orlando Resort. I get to go to Florida almost every year so I have been to Universal quite a bit. This year, I got 2-day park hopper tickets and did everything that I wanted to do. Since I have been here before I will just point out some major things I noticed this year. First off, I would like to point out that both USO and IOA are some of my favorite parks that I have been to, and it really sucks to see the parks keep adding screen-based attractions. I hope that they will go back to their roots and add more thrilling attractions as that what makes the parks different from Disney, which is more family oriented. Anyway, I'll just write down some thoughts about my recent trip to both parks.
Islands of Adventure
This was my first time riding the refurbished Hulk and was pretty worried as old Hulk was one of my favorite coasters. The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo on this ride are much better and hope that they will use this system for other rides. The entrance area is much better with the track and Hulk statue. The line is basically the same and just looks more modern, but the station I thought was very impressive with the green lights that go off when a train leaves the station. The launch tube looks really cool but will always miss Bruce Banner freaking out :(. The ride itself was the same but loved the onboard audio. while the ride is smoother than before, it still throws you around a little bit which I don't mind. Overall I thought the refurbishment was a success and Hulk is still one of my favorites. Kong was also a new ride for me and I heard mixed reviews about it, so I had pretty low expectations for this ride. I was lucky enough to be more towards the back for all my rides. Overall it exceeded my expectations as I thought that going outside, the 360 room, and the kong animatronic were all impressive. The first two screens were pretty disappointing as I would rather have had more practical sets instead of the screens. While Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are better, I liked it better than Gringotts and Transformers. With all the rumors, I was worried that Dragon Challenge would close before I got there but luckily it didn't. I still think that it is very smooth and intense, so I hope it doesn't get replaced with a family dark ride as that would really ruin IOA's attraction lineup.
Universal Studios
Fallon had soft opened about a week before I went which was a plus as I didn't expect to get on it this year. I also had low expectations for this ride as a lot of the reviews have been pretty negative. The queueless system worked out really well and only had to wait about 15min when I was in the building. The ride itself is pretty average. I think it is better than Simpsons, Despicable Me, and Shrek, but of course not as good as their more E-ticket dark rides. Twister has always been a ride that I went on once every time I visited and Fallon will probably be the same. Also when I went on Rocket it felt just as fast as years past so whatever is on the first drop isn't trim brakes (for normal operations at least).
Overall I am pretty excited and scared for the future of Universal Orlando. On one hand, you have volcano bay, Nintendo world, and the new land they bought. At the same time, some of my favorite attractions are rumored to be removed and the only attractions the resort is adding recently are screen based rides. Only time can tell whether or not I am going to enjoy what Universal is doing to both of the parks in the future.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:39 pm

SharkTums wrote:
gerstlaueringvar wrote:I like Rock It for the layout and how unique some of the elements are. Airtime at the top of a non-inverting loop is something I've never experienced before. But when I rode it two weeks ago, it was bouncing laterally very hard during the entire ride course and it felt like those X-Cars are tearing the structure apart.

Were you in the front or back car? I always felt the ride would be so much better if it ran single cars.

3rd row and 5th row, both times on train 7 and I judge myself for remembering that. Yeah maybe it would be a lot better if it ran single cars. The whole thing just felt like you're far away from the center of gravity on any direction. This plus the poor track work kind of ruined it for me. I did't hate Rock It or anything but I just felt like compared to Hollywood Dream in Japan, USO probably should have something of a higher standard.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!