Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1326: Race Through New York Grand Opening Event!
Users viewing this topic: bigcwd2000, CNYCoasterguy11, DirkFunk, Divv3k, Erik Johnson, KarlaKoaster, Looty, Nitro1118, OmnipotentSeal, tanthonyam and 27 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jray21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 pm

robbalvey wrote:
A.J. wrote:Perhaps there's an interesting light show that will happen inside at night.

Is the park even open at night? I thought I read somewhere that it was closing by 6 or 7pm every night? And I would have to imagine if that's the case then most of the guests probably would have left by that time anyway so I can't seem them putting on a light show for a smaller amount of people who would have stayed in the park. And if they were going to do a light show, wouldn't it look better on the FRONT of the volcano where you don't have a giant ugly gaping hole in the middle of it? ;)

Seriously, I think what surprises me about this is that it looks really "unfinished" and I don't understand why so many people gave DIsney so much crap when you could see the exposed building of Expedition Everest (from the parking lot keep in mind, not from inside the park) but here at this "themed" water park it is being billed as one of the best themed water parks in the world, and you have a giant hole in the volcano and you can see all the slide structures, stair cases, etc? This to me looks like something you'd see in a Chinese park where the theming only goes half-way. Why does Universal get a "pass" on this, but people criticize and flip out at Disney for similar things?

Like I said, I'll have to see what the final product looks like, but I guess I just expected more from how Universal was positioning this park as the be-all end-all of themed water park experiences.

Absolutely 1000% agree.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:39 pm

robbalvey wrote:
A.J. wrote:Perhaps there's an interesting light show that will happen inside at night.

Is the park even open at night? I thought I read somewhere that it was closing by 6 or 7pm every night? And I would have to imagine if that's the case then most of the guests probably would have left by that time anyway so I can't seem them putting on a light show for a smaller amount of people who would have stayed in the park. And if they were going to do a light show, wouldn't it look better on the FRONT of the volcano where you don't have a giant ugly gaping hole in the middle of it? ;)

Seriously, I think what surprises me about this is that it looks really "unfinished" and I don't understand why so many people gave DIsney so much crap when you could see the exposed building of Expedition Everest (from the parking lot keep in mind, not from inside the park) but here at this "themed" water park it is being billed as one of the best themed water parks in the world, and you have a giant hole in the volcano and you can see all the slide structures, stair cases, etc? This to me looks like something you'd see in a Chinese park where the theming only goes half-way. Why does Universal get a "pass" on this, but people criticize and flip out at Disney for similar things?

Like I said, I'll have to see what the final product looks like, but I guess I just expected more from how Universal was positioning this park as the be-all end-all of themed water park experiences.

Absolutely 1000% agree.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bobbie68 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 am

Hi

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me. I understand that back in the fall of 2016 Dr. Doom at IOA was closed for a bit. From what I understand, they changed the restraints on this ride and did something else. I was just wondering if anybody heard anything or has ridden it since. This was an amazing drop tower with lots of air time. I was wondering if things have changed with a new restraint system?

Thank you!

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Considering the nature of those slides, I'd feel a lot more comfortable jumping on them if I could see what they do. I'm always a bit iffy about body slides that involve high speed sharp turns, so it's a relief that it is not completely covered so people don't have to guess and find out what it does only upon riding it.

That said, I'm also not a big fan of seeing the volcano open either. It just cements the idea that the volcano is just a "facade" and kinda brings the illusion away once you're at the backside of the park or looking at it from outside. Maybe it's open to entice people that are outside the park to see what's in, but even then, it's a giant volcano. That should probably do enough attention grabbing on its own. Disney's proven that you could close off or connect the mountain to a slide and still maintain it pretty well (case in point, the enclosed slide at Disney's Polynesian resort).

Still, very interested in seeing how the water park looks once its open. I'm betting it'll all flesh together and look alright once people are in the park. And judging off of my experience doing numerous drops on Deep Water Dive at KK, you guys are in for a REAL treat with the drop on Ko’okiri Body Plunge! :) Just be weary of that climb up... it's a guaranteed adventure on its own.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby JJLehto » Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm

So just got back from my first park in 2 years :O and it was Universal Studios and IoA. Have to say it was a really good time. Will do a full TR soon, but did wanna make a few quick notes.

The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo ugh
Metal detectors in each line hope this has not become common to all parks
Either I don't remember or Hulk has really gotten rough over these 15 years, that thing gave me some major head banging

Dragon Challenge however, still super smooth and I actually enjoyed blue more
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit was much better than I expected. It was faster than I thought, the helices at both ends were more forceful than I expected, the pops of airtime and non inverting loop were all more than I expected.

Mummy was unexpectedly fun as well, I actually got a surprising amount of airtime over the launched hill, and during another hill later.
Didn't even know Escape from Gringotts was a coaster. Was also quite fun.
Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Skyrush, I305, El Toro, Bizarro (SF:NE), Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Maverick, Storm Runner
2017 parks: Universal Studios/IoA

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Morgan » Tue May 16, 2017 3:02 am

I've just thought, with the new Mummy movie coming out soon, what do you think are the chances that the Mummy ride will get an update?

I guess the success of the movie will be a factor, but even though the Brendan Fraser movies were good (well the first two) the first is almost 18 years old now, so the relevance of the franchise is fairly dated now, especially with the new film ushering in the Universal Monster's shared universe, you would think that an update for the ride would be a no-brainer, with an updated story, sets and effects.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue May 16, 2017 4:44 am

^Maybe Tom Cruise will yell about not getting coffee!!? ;)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby kenban » Tue May 16, 2017 6:51 am

JJLehto wrote:Either I don't remember or Hulk has really gotten rough over these 15 years, that thing gave me some major head banging

Hulk was torn down and completely replaced last year. It only reopened in August of 2016. It was a complete replacement there is new track, new supports, and new trains.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue May 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Morgan wrote:I've just thought, with the new Mummy movie coming out soon, what do you think are the chances that the Mummy ride will get an update?

I guess the success of the movie will be a factor, but even though the Brendan Fraser movies were good (well the first two) the first is almost 18 years old now, so the relevance of the franchise is fairly dated now, especially with the new film ushering in the Universal Monster's shared universe, you would think that an update for the ride would be a no-brainer, with an updated story, sets and effects.

The new Kong attraction was based on the 2005 Peter Jackson movie judging by the monkey's design. And a new Kong movie came out a couple months ago and pulled in similar numbers (before inflation) at the box office and is connected to a larger movie universe.

I doubt there will be any change and if there is any, it'll probably be what SharkTums said. It seems like more of a Tom Cruise thing to do than Brendan Fraser anyways.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby JJLehto » Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 pm

kenban wrote:
JJLehto wrote:Either I don't remember or Hulk has really gotten rough over these 15 years, that thing gave me some major head banging

Hulk was torn down and completely replaced last year. It only reopened in August of 2016. It was a complete replacement there is new track, new supports, and new trains.

Wasn't it just a new launch tunnel audio/visuals? As well as a new queue, maybe there were new trains but a complete tear down and replacement of the track? And if this was the case...they have severely screwed up because it was very rough, every non loop element thrashed me (and I'm good at holding myself straight to avoid it) and even the turns were rough. I was very excited for the ride and left with no want to ride again. If this is the result of their changes, yikes
Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Skyrush, I305, El Toro, Bizarro (SF:NE), Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Maverick, Storm Runner
2017 parks: Universal Studios/IoA

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!