Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1399: Holidays at Universal Media Event Photo Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby storms555 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 pm

As much as I remember loving Twister,and some what missing it because Im into natural disasters, I do remember it not being as good as I remembered. The first time I went on it when I was 9. The second time I just turned 25. At 9 I thought it was the sh*t! Also I was up in the front. The second time though it didnt seem as cool and I was in the back row. Im guessing its because it was amazing as a child but not so much as an adult but in all honesty it seemed they got rid of features. I dont know...it might of just been that i grew up. As a child I remember seeing things get torn apart,things burst into flames,semi truck going though the "air" and the wind being so strong I could barely breath! As an adult I just remember signs tipping over,some sparks,a small fire,only a light breeze, no buildings coming apart and no "debris" There was the cow but suddenly it seemed so fake compare to when i was a kid. Im just guessing its the whole old "things look so much coolier when you are little then when you get older" thing. Oh and not to mention it had gross sour vinegary sweaty "dirty moldy bath towel" type smell to it.... you know how sometimes dirty wet things get that nasty smell after drying for some reason
:airtime: =) :airtimer: yay rollercoasters!!! :b

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 pm

All of that great stuff you remembered during the Twister experience you had as a kid wasn't there later on because it was destroyed by a tornado. Please try to follow along...

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 pm

They should have just taken effects and props from twister and jaws since they got rid of both and done a sharknado ride of some nature lol

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby CoasterLover » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:18 am

The concept of the "open" queue is pretty neat. Wonder if it's something we'll see more of at Universal (I could imagine in the Nintendo Land section open rooms where you can play Nintendo related games and such while you're waiting to ride) or if it's something that will be more or less one and done with this attraction simply because it works (really) well with the story/theme they are going for. As for the ride vehicle, it sounds quite similar to Questor/Corkscrew Hill/Europe in the Air (which could basically be described as "open air Star Tours" as you described).

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:30 am

Wow you can now get the authentic Roller Coaster Tycoon mascot entertainment!

Don't remember seeing any pandas reoccurring on Fallon's show.. looks like an attraction I would skip.
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 am

Satans Hockey wrote:They should have just taken effects and props from twister and jaws since they got rid of both and done a sharknado ride of some nature lol

I love this idea :lmao: :lmao: :nina:

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby super7 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:35 am

Is this yet another video-based attraction at Universal? Too many of their attractions are glorified movies, instead of real experiences. At least Twister was a real experience.

Is another video-based attraction going to replace Disaster as well?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 am

super7 wrote:Is this yet another video-based attraction at Universal?

Yes.

Is another video-based attraction going to replace Disaster as well?

Yes.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby dreynolds1982 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:08 am

This was under construction when I was last at USO in November, but I didn't really figure it was something I'd miss much. Based on the reviews, seems I'm right. But then again I doubt they intended it to be any kind of blockbuster eTicket. Seems like a decent attraction, especially if you are a fan of Fallon.

Speaking of that, it does seem a bit odd to leverage Fallon so heavily. I'm 34 so probably a little past his key demographic, but even going back to his SNL days I always just found him annoying (his constant breaking during skits was funny at first, then just ridiculous). Leveraging a brand like that so heavily, with a lot of in-jokes and references (like the Hashtag Panda) from the show, seem like it's going to really impact the re-ride ability and enjoyment of this for people who don't watch.

And to everyone saying "ugh another 3D media-based attraction at UO" I agree so, so much. Last time I was there, it was a marathon trip. Both parks in one day, so the similarities between all of their recent attractions REALLY becomes apparent. As much fun as they are by themselves, when placed all together you just get burned out IMO. Even Kong, which had some of the most impressive 3D I've seen, was still a let down. Esp after a queue and first part of the ride with some really cool theming and practical effects. To then just drive into a big screen tunnel....meh.

That being said, for the casual visitor, the burn out probably isn't near as bad, so probably doesn't impact them as much. Still I think UO could benefit from switching it up a bit and trying to blend practical with media rather than going all-in on the 3D screens.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am

dreynolds1982 wrote:That being said, for the casual visitor, the burn out probably isn't near as bad, so probably doesn't impact them as much.

You'd be surprised. I've actually heard this more and more lately from the casual visitor. Especially when the screen based rides seem to be taking over. How many are there now?

1. Kong
2. Fallon
3. Gringotts
4. Forbidden Journey
5. Spider-Man
6. Transformers
7. Hogwart's Express
8. Despicable Me
9. Shrek
10. Simpsons
11. Terminator
12. Fast and the Furious (2018)

Did I miss any?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!