Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1388 - Halloween Horror Nights 27 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: cookiex, RollerManic and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:56 am

Garet wrote:Jimmy Fallon's Race Through New York has soft opened apparently.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:20 am

cfc wrote:
Garet wrote:Jimmy Fallon's Race Through New York has soft opened apparently.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

:nina:

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ms13 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 pm

I had a chance to ride Race Through New York With Jimmy Fallon today during it's limited soft open. Simply put, it's one of the most entertaining and unique queue experiences I've ever been in, followed up by the most mediocre and lazy attractions I've been on. After you enter the building, you're given a NBC logo card with a color. Every time you see that color, you move into the next room. There are two main holding rooms. The first is a museum of sorts, with memorabilia from the entire run of The Tonight Show. The second room, after a flight of steps, was a lounge area combined with a stage area, of sorts. Throughout the wait, they had various acts come out on the stage, from a guy in a panda suit (quality stuff...ugh) to a group of barbershop quartets, who sing modern songs, like baby got back...yup. Despite that, the vibe was actually quite energetic here, passing the time well. After that room was the preshow/safety briefing area, then its off to the ride. And once again, its a bunch of seats in front of a screen. Think Despicable Me, but...no, actually it's the same exact thing. The benches are uncomfortable, and the jokes are...well not funny. After it was done, there was a consensus of..."That's it?" from the crowd, and "Well, I never need to ride that again." Not exactly the reaction they expected, I'm sure. For me, it was another disappointment, after Kong. But I'm just not a fan of media based attractions, and hate that every new ride requires 3D glasses. Might as well hand them out at the entrance. But your milage may vary. A few photos follow.
1.JPG
The main entrance. The facade was done quite well.
2.JPG
Return time Kiosks. Were not in use for the soft open, and I don't see there being enough of a wait for them to be used that often.
3.JPG
The card you were given after you enter the first room. Six different ones. The whole room changed to the next color, and that group would move right along...
4.JPG
The first room was a museum to the history of The Tonight Show. Large room with no seats, leading to...
5.JPG
...people sitting in front of every exhibit. Good luck getting a close look or a photo.
6.JPG
Second room had a small lounge area, and a bigger area with a stage. Here, there's a random panda walking around. Wish I knew why.
7.JPG
Other show was the barbershop quartets singing pop songs. I give it three months till they cut this.
8.JPG
In between the shows they played "The Best Of..." Quotation marks used appropriately...
9.JPG
The preshow area, just like minions...literally. Lined up in six rows and watching the video overhead.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 am

^ In other words, it pretty much lived up to expectations from a lot of folks on here? ;)

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:08 am

So did Conan O' Brian get a museum exhibit or did NBC quietly gloss over that one? ;)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ms13 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:19 am

^ Surprisingly, yes he did...
IMG_0587.JPG

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby storms555 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:56 pm

This is where Twister was right? I kind of miss Twister but maybe thats because I'm into natural disasters like tornadoes. However I know the movie Twister is pretty irreverent now. So I assume thats why they replaced it. It would of been cool if they modernized it somehow with a 3D screen but with the wind blowing and even debris flying towards you. (of course it wont be real) Maybe they could of made it move too. Now that would be awesome! Yea a lot of USO's attractions are just that,the moving seats and the 3D screens and special effects,but I thing tornado themed ride would be pretty cool and separate it from the rest. I don't even really watch TV let alone the Tonight Show. So I know diddly squat about the show.
:airtime: =) :airtimer: yay rollercoasters!!! :b

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:40 am

I love the concept and execution of the queue...

Seems like the rides reviews are all along the same lines of yours though...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:05 pm

So we had a chance to go down and get a sneak preview of the Jimmy Fallon ride today. Let's just say that the previous reviews kind of sum it up. There are certainly positives to take away from the entire package, but don't go in expecting a ground-breaking new simulator style experience. The area in which you walk into the building and the upstairs area is very nicely done. If you are a fan of current or nostalgic television, namely The Today Show, which does have many decades of history behind it, there is a lot to see. The upstairs lounge where you'll find some Tonight Show themed entertainment was also very nicely done. It's great to have a place to hang out and sit, even charge your phone, while waiting for the attraction. Here's some photos and some teaser video from the ride...

IMG_6858.JPG
Yay! We have made it to Universal Orlando! Always exciting to come check out a new attraction!

IMG_6874.JPG
Over at the entrance to the New York area, you'll now find 30 Rock! Home to shows like Saturday Night Live and the Tonight Show!

IMG_6875.JPG
The entrance has a very classic NYC style feel to it.

IMG_6877.JPG
Upon entering the building, you'll find some tributes to all of the Tonight Show hosts...

IMG_6879.JPG
Not a fan of Jay Leno...

IMG_6881.JPG
Poor Conan...

IMG_6882.JPG
The current guy...

IMG_6883.JPG
Yay! Johnny Carson!

IMG_6906.JPG
The ride is using Universal's new "Virtual Queue" system, and much like Dumbo over at Magic Kingdom, when it's your turn to ride, or at least go on to the next part of the queue, your buzzer will go off, or in this case, you are handed a card with a color on it...

IMG_6904.JPG
When the NBC Peacock turns your color, you go on to the next area...

IMG_6913.JPG
We have headed into what I will call the "lounge" and we are greeted by Hashtag the Panda.

IMG_6933.JPG
Hashtag and Elissa seem to be hitting it off.

IMG_6918.JPG
The upstairs area is very nicely done. It feels like a "high end lounge" like something you would see made for DVC members or a really nice hotel lobby. It has a very clean and nice look to it.

IMG_6919.JPG
There are places to sit and relax. Watch the TVs, play some games. You can even charge your phone here.

IMG_6920.JPG
This is the entrance to the attraction. Again, when it turns your color, you will know when to board the ride.

IMG_6922.JPG
The stage is in another room where they have live entertainment while you wait.

IMG_6923.JPG
And again, this area just has a nice, clean look to it. Where the Dumbo queue has a kids play area to hang out in while you wait for your turn, this area has entertainment and "adult stuff" to do. Same concept, different content.

IMG_6924.JPG
Just some artwork of what to expect from the ride.

IMG_6925.JPG
Nice looking vehicle, right?

IMG_6931.JPG
As we wait for our turn, Elissa plays some games...

IMG_6939.JPG
And then the entertainment starts. This is the Ragtime "Gals" Barbershop "Quartet!" (Get the joke? Good!) They were actually really fun to watch!

IMG_6955.JPG
Next up, time to do something you do a lot here at Universal...grab those 3-D glasses!

IMG_6957.JPG
There are two theaters in the attraction. House Left and House Right.

IMG_6960.JPG
We go into the next room where we get to watch the pre-show and safety information video, divided into rows.

IMG_6968.JPG
They said no photos or video beyond this point, so this is the best you're going to get. As for the ride/show vehicle itself, it really is more like a giant Star Tours without a roof. Picture a very similar looking Star Tours base of seats, but instead in the middle of an open theater. And you can let your imagination figure it out from there...

IMG_6970.JPG
Hashtag was getting very "friendly" with Elissa, but I an told he does this with all the girls!

IMG_6973.JPG
Seems he had a rough night...

IMG_6986.JPG
He doesn't do so well at video games we found out.

IMG_6991.JPG
The sofas and walls are modeled after the chairs that Fallon's guests sit in. Attention to detail here.

IMG_7001.JPG
it's all very nice. It's what you would expect in a high-end hotel lobby or just a nice waiting area for an expensive show. It feels upscale so that's a good thing.

IMG_7013.JPG
Building front entrance! Yay! Just in case you forgot where you were going! You go here!

IMG_7015.JPG
Ride height restriction sign.

IMG_7021.JPG
Ride vehicle test seats.

IMG_7025.JPG
Inside the shop was all sorts of Jimmy Fallon merchandise and references to the show. I'll be honest, I don't watch very often so some of this was lost on me, but here's a few pics of what you'll find inside...

IMG_7026.JPG

IMG_7027.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG
Plenty of Hashtag plush....

IMG_7029.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7031.JPG
Is this a "thing" or is it like trying to make "fetch" happen?

IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7033.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG
And look! An obligatory roller coaster shot on our way out! Go check out Jimmy Fallon. Let us know what you think!
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:06 pm.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I thought Twister was hot garbage and anything in its place is an improvement, especially if I can sit down and play Bubble Witch or make pithy comments about fellow guests on Twitter instead of standing in a hot queue while waiting for a dumb attraction I will only go on when there are lines everywhere else.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!