Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1326: Race Through New York Grand Opening Event!
Users viewing this topic: CNYCoasterguy11, Divv3k, Erik Johnson, KarlaKoaster, Nitro1118, OmnipotentSeal, tanthonyam and 32 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterRench » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:17 am

The Geek Mojo wrote:But of course if none of that happens and it goes in IOA...I'd say The Lost Continent needs to be the area instead of Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon is actually fun.

Toon Lagoon is one of my favorite area's in IOA. We can spend hours in that area with everything that it has to offer. Not to mention Dudley Do Rights and Popeye are two of my favorite water rides in any park. Curious if they would ever touch The Lost Continent anymore than they already have with Mytho's being part of that area.
Steel: 91 Wood: 28 Total: 119

Top Five
5. Diamondback, 4. Banshee, 3. Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit, 2. Incredible Hulk, 1. Millennium Force

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:52 am

Legocraft wrote:I personally think that if they add a Hyrule area like they did for Harry Potter that would be the most amazing thing ever

How about this but with Loftwing? :)
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 am

The Geek Mojo wrote:I've been hearing rumors of them wanting to replace E.T. for some time now. Having done the attraction a few times, I honestly won't miss it if it does become something else. With the large amount of land behind M.I.B. along with Kidzone I can see this Nintendo land being huge...If they use all that space of course. Once they get this completed, I can see Hollywood area of the park along with T2 getting the next big upgrade.

But of course if none of that happens and it goes in IOA...I'd say The Lost Continent needs to be the area instead of Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon is actually fun.

I would totally understand the removal of E.T. but I'm still sort of rooting for it to stay. Universal should really have at least one "classic" attraction on property. I struggle to even call it a classic but it's the closest thing they've got. The fact that they keep removing old rides and updating is part of what makes them awesome and part of what sets them apart from Disney but I really do like that they still have E.T. That's just a personal preference though, from a business standpoint I could absolutely see the case for removing it.

I agree completely about Toon Lagoon. I always liked it.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby storms555 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:07 pm

CoasterRench wrote:
The Geek Mojo wrote:But of course if none of that happens and it goes in IOA...I'd say The Lost Continent needs to be the area instead of Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon is actually fun.

Toon Lagoon is one of my favorite area's in IOA. We can spend hours in that area with everything that it has to offer. Not to mention Dudley Do Rights and Popeye are two of my favorite water rides in any park. Curious if they would ever touch The Lost Continent anymore than they already have with Mytho's being part of that area.

I dont think i been on the Popeye ride but Dudley Do Rights ride is awesome. Its pretty much my favorite log flume ride. Also Toon Lagoon is pretty much a staple to that park be kind of sad if they got rid of it.
:airtime: =) :airtimer: yay rollercoasters!!! :b

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby xstech25 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:48 pm

I think its really obvious that it's going to replace Kidzone and possibly ET. Curious George, Woody Woodpecker, Barney...none of these are relevant anymore. Also I think Jaws was considered more of a classic attraction than ET but that didn't stop it from being replaced with Harry Potter. Speaking of Harry Potter, seems like what's left of Lost Continent is prime expansion space for that franchise.

In a strange way, the current management of Universal sort of reminds me of Premier/Six Flags in the early 2000's. They are really building some great stuff, but are operating their parks poorly from a guest perspective. However, the difference is that Universal has been financially successful, while Premier/Six Flags expanded their parks in such a way that bankrupted the company, closed the largest amusement park in the world (Geauga Lake), and turn some parks into shadows of their former self (Elitch Gardens).

I have to disagree with you bigtime here. The metal detector/l*cker situation is an annoyance but running 1 train on the most popular rides (if open at all) during busy times of year is much more of an annoyance. Also Universal as far as I know fully staffs its third shift maintenance and custodial, and the rides have very little downtime.
Six Flags those days you never knew what rides were going to closed, late opening, running 1 train, down for staffing, etc. Universal Orlando's operations are probably just as good if not better now than ever.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Besides being really excited to see the Nintendo additions I wonder if this relationship with Universal is what finally gets Nintendo to put their characters into some movies. These cgi cartoon movies are the perfect thing for so many Nintendo franchises.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Legocraft » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 pm

TheCoasterKid211 wrote:
Legocraft wrote:I personally think that if they add a Hyrule area like they did for Harry Potter that would be the most amazing thing ever

How about this but with Loftwing? :)

Yes that would be cool, but think, if they did something like dragon challenge that would be even more epic.
Is that a banshee screaming? Oh wait that's me...

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:14 am

Satans Hockey wrote:Besides being really excited to see the Nintendo additions I wonder if this relationship with Universal is what finally gets Nintendo to put their characters into some movies. These cgi cartoon movies are the perfect thing for so many Nintendo franchises.

PLEASE MAKE A STAR FOX MOVIE
PLEASE MAKE A STAR FOX MOVIE
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE MAKE A STAR FOX MOVIE
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 pm

TPR attended the Universal Holidays Media Event yesterday and got to experience some of the awesomeness that starts TODAY at Universal Studios Orlando! It was a great sneak peak at Grinchmas, the Macy's Holiday Parade and their Christmas decorations throughout the resort. Here is the official information from Universal Studios Orlando - then on to the photos!

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT’S HOLIDAYS CELEBRATION BEGINS THIS SATURDAY, DEC. 3
‘Tis the season to celebrate joyous holiday traditions including Grinchmas, the 15th Anniversary of Macy’s Holiday Parade, and Holiday Concerts by Mannheim Steamroller
Beginning this Saturday, Dec. 3 and running daily through Jan. 1, families can create lifelong holiday memories at Universal Orlando’s Holidays celebration. Guests will have the opportunity to:
 Experience the 15th anniversary Macy’s Holiday Parade, featuring some of the same larger-than-life balloons seen in last week’s famous Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City. Colorful holiday characters and fantasy-filled floats will fill the streets of Universal Studios Florida followed by a tree-lighting ceremony by Santa Claus. New to this year’s parade is the “Virginia” balloon depicting the 8-year old girl from the famed Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus newspaper editorial of the late 1800s, as well as the “Mother Ginger” special character from The Nutcracker.
 Come face-to-face with the mean, green one himself and the Whos from Who-ville as Grinchmas comes to life throughout Seuss Landing in Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Guests can experience the “Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular,” a heartwarming live retelling of Dr. Seuss’s classic holiday tale “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” or join the Grinch and friends for a special holiday breakfast buffet on select dates.
 Plus, the Christmas music sensation – Mannheim Steamroller – returns to the Music Plaza stage in Universal Studios on select nights to perform electrifying holiday classics with a modern twist. Performances will take place on Dec. 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18.
Access to Universal Orlando’s Holidays festivities is included with admission to the theme parks.
2016 Holidays Celebration at UOR.jpg
Such a fun time of the year to visit Universal Studios Orlando!
IMG_1779.JPG
You can see they already have their entrance gate decorated!
IMG_1783.JPG
We started off in IOA, since that is where Grinchmas is!
IMG_1786.JPG
Time for a sneak peak of the Grinchmas show!
IMG_1788.JPG
The stage really captures the spirit of the Dr. Seuss books.
IMG_1798.JPG
We get to meet the Grinch himself!
IMG_1810.JPG
Stacey was a little afraid, but he is a friendly grinch!
04_The Grinch at UOR.jpg
See? Once you warm up that Grinch heart... :)
02_Grinchmas Wholiday Spectacular.jpg
The show has all your favorite parts of the story!
10_Grinchmas Wholiday Spectacular.jpg
Including great live singers!
IMG_1812.JPG
Off to check out some of the Christmas decorations!
IMG_1855.JPG
These balloons are all over the park.. and HUGE!
IMG_1852.JPG
OMG! Garfield is almost as tall as the NY Public Library!
IMG_1818.JPG
Time to check out the parade!
IMG_1813.JPG
We got a special sneak peak! This is the 15th anniversary of the parade!
IMG_1820.JPG
These were actually used in the New York parade!
IMG_1826.JPG
This inflatable guy is new this year and based on a balloon from the 40s.
IMG_1839.JPG
Cool to see how the balloons are held - just like NYC!
05_Macy's Holiday Parade.jpg
These high kicking ladies are awesome!
01_Mannheim Steamroller at UOR.jpg
The event also features Mannheim Steamroller on select nights!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:19 pm

THIS is the time I want to visit Universal, Orlando! Everything looks great, especially those balloons.

And getting to experience Mannheim Steamroller LIVE..... :lover:

Great report from the park.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!