TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This last picture shows what's wrong with the world today. People are completely lazy. There is a trash can right next to the table, but yet there was trash left on the table. Who the $uck raised these people?

I live in a state with a bottle bill, which reduces (a little) the proclivity of some to leave trash like this.

I would like to see CP resume using washable, reusable cups, plates, etc. (as was done everywhere until a few decades ago) to replace use-once stuff that becomes trash. The only place I saw at CP that served food on washable plates was Melt. "Waste is a terrible thing to mind."

Steel Vengeance is the best ride I've ridden, by far. Maverick, Toro, Skyrush, i305, Voyage, four other RMCs were great, but SV is my #1. I can't imagine what RMC could do to surpass this masterpiece.

I would like to see CP resume using washable, reusable cups, plates, etc. (as was done everywhere until a few decades ago) to replace use-once stuff that becomes trash. The only place I saw at CP that served food on washable plates was Melt. "Waste is a terrible thing to mind."

CP has a hard enough time trying to staff the park, especially food service, during certain times. I don't see them going back to having to wash every dish in the park again.

People already complain about food prices and wait times. It's not practical.

I agree on the staffing issue, but let's not forget that the chemicals used to sanitize reusable dishes aren't great for the environment either. Now, they're not as bad as Styrofoam, but still, washing dishes isn't environmentally neutral. Honestly biodegradable paper plates are better.

Is there early entry for platinum pass holders on Friday nights?

Yes.

Also, are any major rides normally closed on Friday nights?

Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Wicked Twister, Skyhawk, Power Tower, Sky Ride (seemingly closed for the season due to staffing) and Windseeker (seemingly closed for the season due to staffing). A bunch of other smaller rides are closed also. Here is the list of rides that are scheduled to operate.

Is there early entry for platinum pass holders on Friday nights?

Yes.

Also, are any major rides normally closed on Friday nights?

Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Wicked Twister, Skyhawk, Power Tower, Sky Ride (seemingly closed for the season due to staffing) and Windseeker (seemingly closed for the season due to staffing). A bunch of other smaller rides are closed also. Here is the list of rides that are scheduled to operate.

Glad to see most if not all of the E-ticket attractions are open on Friday nights

It sucks that Skyhawk isn't open on Friday nights anymore, but I get it.

I used to get power ERT on it where the ride op's would let you stay in the same seat as long as the line was short.

Given the always cool ride-ops at CP, they would encourage it too..."Okay, you crazy Skyhawk enthusiasts...do ya wanna go again?"

I miss that!

Lucked out at CP last night as I was in the area for work, so after I was done I got to the park for early entry and went right back to SV. Waited for 10mins or so for a ride and then went off to get my free FL+ wristband (had to go all the way back up to the front of the park). I could have gone back to SV and lapped the thing with FL+ (nobody was in line, normal line was maybe 20-30mins tops at that time), but after my first ride since media day, it just doesn't do it for me. One was enough. Maverick was walkon at the time as well, but for some reason didn't care to ride it last night.

Took rides on Valravn, MF and a few on Raptor (the only thing that FL+ was worthwhile for while I was there). Caught the Midnight Syndicate show, grabbed some 75% off candy and headed out. Crowds were light, maybe half full lot if that. Rain kept people away, but even with radar looking the way it did, at worst it was a misty rain. Everything was open for the most part. Tried to ride Dragster which had maybe 10min normal line and walk-on FL+, but it broke when we were seated and ready to head out the station. We all had to get off the train and then maintenance start working on launch track, never made it back to the ride when it went back up.

Could have marathon'd all night long with no waiting, but after a long day at work I just wanted to grab a few Raptor rides and try out SV again primarily, so mission accomplished. Grabbed a Korean Food Bowl from a truck also for dinner, which was awesome. I really like all the options for food with the food trucks scatted around, beats any of the park offerings for sure.

Was a nice visit though, especially as my only real visit this year aside from one failed attempt on a 90-degree day when everything I wanted to ride was closed. Just been to busy this year to head up to the park. Raptor still remains my #1 at CP even after all these years and new additions... I could ride that all night and be happy as can be!

Good times though. Glad it wasn't a fail like last Friday when we tried to stop in.

Glad you had a good time. There's no shame in your liking for Raptor. It's a great invert. Emily doesn't care for the little bit of head banging, or I would ride it more during our somewhat rare visits.

I could have gone back to SV and lapped the thing with FL+ (nobody was in line, normal line was maybe 20-30mins tops at that time), but after my first ride since media day, it just doesn't do it for me.

You and I share this rare opinion. Between our two days at CP during coaster camp out we rode three times. We waited in line for it over an hour during the day. I really liked it, but it didn't come anywhere close to being one of my favorites, since my tastes are different. We had ERT at night for two hours and we could have had as many chances to ride as we wanted, with everything being a station wait. We rode in the back and liked it a little less. We waited ten minutes for the front and I was done with it after the MCBR where the ride just tries to throw you off left and right. Once or twice a visit is enough for me. I think we liked it best in the middle.

Do you care for Maverick, or is that more of the same, like with SV? It's the perfect level twisty/airtime/crazyness for me. I definitely prefer a good hyper or MF vs. a RMC.

I was at Cedar Point last night and did the following:

Steel Vengeance x4

GateKeeper x2

Maverick x2

Millennium Force x2

Magnum XL-200

Top Thrill Dragster

Valravn

At early entry rope drop, I went right to GateKeeper and rode that twice in a row (on the first and third trains of the day; in fact, they let me stay in the same seat between the two rides; apparently everyone went to the back as nobody was in the GateKeeper station until coming back from my second lap). After my second lap, I went off to Valravn, which had a short wait. Following that, I went to Millennium Force, which had a 5-10 minute wait. Millie is still a very fun ride and everyone had their hands up all the way around. As 6pm rolled around, I headed back to Steel Vengeance for my first lap. After a roughly 75 minute wait, I was seated for a trimless ride (SV is already my #1 and it gets even better with trims off, which makes the second half much more wilder than it already is).

Following SV, I tried Maverick, but I left the line as I had to relieve myself and to buy FL+ for the rest of the night. After getting FL+, I went in the line for Maverick, but FL+ still took about a half hour due to them removing two trains (which still left four on the tracks). Next up was Magnum, which was almost a half hour due to one train operations (but it was trimless).

I was planning on heading back to Millennium, but I saw Dragster was running with people, so I hopped in FL+ and after about 10 minutes, I was on and we launched uneventfully. After launching to the sky, the next stop was Millennium, where FL+ still saved 20-30 minutes despite the merge point being so far back. Next, I went back to Steel Vengeance and was able to get three rides in (using FL+) in a half hour. I would have been content with finishing my coaster riding for the year with those trimless night Steel Vengeance rides, but I ran into the group of three I rode Millennium Force with (the second time) and they invited me to ride Maverick with them to end the night.

On the way out, I walked past Magnum and Dragster to avoid the Frontier Trail area, which was scary at night. I saw a Dragster rollback just as I got there, so I stuck around to see if it would launch back up. A few minutes later, the train that rolled back launched and there was rejoicing when they saw the train clear the hill. I was tentatively planning on possibly hitting Raptor, but there didn't appear to be any sign of life there when I was leaving around 11:30.

but after my first ride since media day, it just doesn't do it for me.

Care to explain? This statement confuses me.

Rode it 8 times at media day and then, didn't love it. After my ride last night, thinking it was just the day of something of media day, felt the exact same. Great ride, but I don't love it by any means.

As far as Maverick goes, I like it a lot, probably more than SV. But the main thing that I dislike are the trains. Being tall at 6'6", the soft restraints are less comfortable than the original harnesses and the seat itself is quite uncomfortable. Other than that, it's awesome.

As far as Maverick goes...But the main thing that I dislike are the trains. Being tall at 6'6", the soft restraints are less comfortable than the original harnesses and the seat itself is quite uncomfortable. Other than that, it's awesome.

I feel the same way, but maybe for different reasons. I relied on those old horse collars to keep myself from being tossed around. I'd hold onto them high around my cheeks, and I could keep myself upright and just enjoy the wild transitions. The ride becomes a chore on my upper body when I can only grab the handles on the heavy horizontal bar.

I also never liked that the heavy bar staples my butt to the hard seat, and the seatbacks feel stiffly affixed to those pylon boxes. It's the same thing with Fahrenheit, i305, etc. I know that Intamin isn't totally satisfied either, because it regularly tweaks and/or overhauls its train designs and restraints year after year. It's interesting to see so many modifications and different seat molds in the last decade or so.

And just to disclaimer, these are little gripes that you might give to a family member you love -- Maverick's still awesome as-is.

went off to get my free FL+ wristband (had to go all the way back up to the front of the park).

For future reference, I don't know 100% but I'm 90% sure town hall could have helped you in the back of the park. Maybe the gift shops were not able to redeem the free ones, but almost definitely town hall.

went off to get my free FL+ wristband (had to go all the way back up to the front of the park).

For future reference, I don't know 100% but I'm 90% sure town hall could have helped you in the back of the park. Maybe the gift shops were not able to redeem the free ones, but almost definitely town hall.

I'm not sure about this. When we were there in 2017 we couldn't use our prepaid FL+ vouchers on the day we purchased them, so we were there in town hall and asked what to do. The utterly nice man explained us, that we have to go to the very front of the park because everything he was able to do was giving out wristbands if you have a prepaid voucher for the same day. Every other cases have to go to the fast lane booth at the entrance.

So the story seems plausible.

I could have gone back to SV and lapped the thing with FL+ (nobody was in line, normal line was maybe 20-30mins tops at that time), but after my first ride since media day, it just doesn't do it for me.

You and I share this rare opinion. Between our two days at CP during coaster camp out we rode three times. We waited in line for it over an hour during the day. I really liked it, but it didn't come anywhere close to being one of my favorites, since my tastes are different. We had ERT at night for two hours and we could have had as many chances to ride as we wanted, with everything being a station wait. We rode in the back and liked it a little less. We waited ten minutes for the front and I was done with it after the MCBR where the ride just tries to throw you off left and right. Once or twice a visit is enough for me. I think we liked it best in the middle.

Oh wow, I guess I'm not alone in my opinion then. Granted I only rode it the one time this year, but honestly, I wasn't in a big hurry to get back in line and do it all over again. The first drop was amazing, that breaking wave was pretty cool, and I always love the moments that put you upside down inside the structure on any RMC, but after a while it just became relentless and a bit of a blur as all the little RMC elements kinda blended together. Personally I enjoyed Twisted Timbers a whole lot more out of the new RMCs for this season. Again, not saying this is a BAD coaster by any stretch of the means, but out of all the stuff there is at Cedar Point, I'd probably take Maverick, Millennium Force, or Raptor over it. I am however looking forward to going back next season and giving it another chance.

The weather was bad this weekend, and there were several rides down. And yet, TBH, I think they did about the best job imaginable for closing day in a long long time. Almost all the big coasters ran IN THE RAIN, which is unheard of at Cedar Point in eons. Lines outside of SV, Maverick, and Valravn were totally reasonable, though the weather was obviously not choice. Lots of food trucks in the park spread out everywhere - I had the Argentinian burger (so good) and the chicken and waffle taco during the weekend in addition to the usual stop in at Melt. Can't lie - I've rarely eaten so well at any park as I did this Saturday and Sunday.

The back of the arcade is definitely a lot emptier, but there's so many games in there that they still spread them out a bit. If they had staffing, it would be a great place for a snack bar and some tables. Many, many people were seeking a respite from the conditions and the Arcade was definitely that. I still don't buy the use of the building for a modern dark ride (ceiling is too low) but can definitely see a haunt in the back half. It makes a lot more sense too with costuming being right above.

This year was a great year in that we saw a top notch coaster added to an already stacked beyond belief lineup of steel rides. I think they made some good moves throughout the season, and while I'm bummed about the arcade, it was something that you could see coming a mile away (even if I don't necessarily buy that they have a long term plan with what to do with the space in the ballroom). Their operations are, IMO, better now than they've been in past years. I think they've learned a lot about how to properly staff for the fall season in at least allocating people to the places they're best useful (coasters, rides with a roof) and away from that which is irresponsible to effectively staff (car rides, skyride) under the likely weather conditions.

The weather was bad this weekend, and there were several rides down. And yet, TBH, I think they did about the best job imaginable for closing day in a long long time. Almost all the big coasters ran IN THE RAIN, which is unheard of at Cedar Point in eons.

I saw that on the webcams yesterday. My only thought was, that the weather on the top of Power Tower looked far worse that it was in reality. The only ride I did not see running was Dragster and Gemini. The others looked to have a reasonable amount of trains running.

I think they've learned a lot about how to properly staff for the fall season in at least allocating people to the places they're best useful (coasters, rides with a roof) and away from that which is irresponsible to effectively staff (car rides, skyride) under the likely weather conditions.

Great post.

It's easy to critique theme park operations from the outside looking in and I totally understand that, but one thing that I've always noticed is that (while this may sound like a backhanded compliment), Six Flags as a whole is stunningly good at operating theme parks with amazingly low staffing levels and Cedar Fair has always been awful at it. That flipside of this has always been that Six Flags is content to keep staffing close to those levels all season long and if you visit Cedar Point when they're fully staffed it's probably the best operated corporate park in America outside of Orlando or Southern California but that's a different conversation for another day.

It seems like the staffing problems at Cedar Point get worse every single year, so I'm glad they're finally getting better at running a park on a skeleton crew. I'm sure it requires a lot of creativity and it's not an easy thing to do. Personally still I prefer the Six Flags strategy of making sure everything is technically open even if it hurts capacity elsewhere (for example: Sky Ride would be open with half of the cabins in transfer and something like Millennium Force would probably have one person per side checking seats to accomplish it and I mean... we all know how they would choose to operate a strata coaster with multiple load platforms), but you could easily argue that Cedar Point's strategy is better. It's all a matter of preference. I'm just glad that they're improving from last season. Good for them.

... now if they could just figure that Friday night thing out and stop closing coasters so they can run kids rides during a scary haunt event that's not suitable for kids.

Edited by coasterbill

I imagine Cedar Point's location is to blame. I have no data, but I'd venture, and this is based a bit on past experience, that they have a disproportionate amount of their workforce that isn't local compared to other parks. The nearest large city is Cleveland, and that's an hour away. Most SF parks are much closer to the nearest cities, and the ones that aren't (Great Adventure, Magic Mountain, Discovery Kingdom) are still in areas/markets that are far more developed than, well, Sandusky.

I like Cedar Point's strategy and would gladly take the reduced ride count but have them running at peak efficiency.

I imagine Cedar Point's location is to blame. I have no data, but I'd venture, and this is based a bit on past experience, that they have a disproportionate amount of their workforce that isn't local compared to other parks. The nearest large city is Cleveland, and that's an hour away. Most SF parks are much closer to the nearest cities, and the ones that aren't (Great Adventure, Magic Mountain, Discovery Kingdom) are still in areas/markets that are far more developed than, well, Sandusky.

I like Cedar Point's strategy and would gladly take the reduced ride count but have them running at peak efficiency.

Cedar Point's location is totally to blame, but they could always become more efficient with their use of staff also and it seems like they're getting better at that. They'll never have the staffing pools of parks like Great Adventure and Great America (those parks are actually opening the next few nights for Fright Fest and Cedar Point would never be in a position to pull that off) but it doesn't mean they can't become more efficient, and it sounds like they're slowly doing it.

I'm sure most would agree with that (especially when you're talking about Antique cars, Sky Ride, Windseeker and upcharge attractions) and I expect to be in the minority. I actually think the Friday night example is a better one since they actually start closing large coasters.

Edited by coasterbill