TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Drove to the park tonight and traffic was backed up nearly a mile off the exit ramp. What is usually 5min from park, map app said it would take 50min. Made it up to the causeway, then saw the gridlock across the entire thing. Then just turned around and went the hour back home. This was at around 730. Friend was a few minutes ahead of us and took him around 45min to just make it across to park. No thanks...

Place was Saturday-like busy tonight. A bummer... Never can I remember a Friday during HW being so busy. Next year it may come down to avoiding HW completely. Not sure ill even want to attempt next weekend.

^Many people don't like using their credit cards through their phones (yeah I know...so behind the times...lol). I personally don't either unless it's a last resort. I don't even have any payment info saved in it in case my phone goes missing (and someone smart enough to unlock it). However, I will make sure I have bought tickets online at home well before going. Unless there is something like a bring a friend where I have to go to the tickets windows to redeem, I never have need for standing in those lines.

Just checked wait times on queue-times.com and it appears almost every major coaster is closed. Looks like a storm is rolling in but it's also extremely windy in Sandusky and it came out of nowhere. If you look at the CP webcams, you can tell that Power Tower (where the cams are) is swaying. Also, to anyone who likes to look at public snaps on Snapchat, there’s a pretty cool video on there shot from Mavericks line showing the trees going crazy. That wind is intense as hell.

I'm bummed that I won't make it to the park this year, which seemed unfathomable back in August, but all of my possible dates were rained out and windy or insanely busy for the park. My last hopes were the past two days, but I have no regrets now seeing the packed crowds, gusty wet weather, & rides going down often. I love the park atmosphere for Halloweekends, but some years that dead Friday with clear skies just never happens. Anytime it ends up being wet with an hour-plus wait for Corkscrew, forget it.

Look like I'll be taking a Steel Vengeance-Steel Curtain makeup trip next spring.

A tree fell on the antique cars back by Maverick. Good thing nobody was under that portion of the track at the time.

Yea, the winds were crazy. I'm surprised that was the only tree that fell in the park.

After the weather moved in,Corkscrew was one of the only coasters running. Maverick ran for a short time at night, but closed after about an hour. Rougarou "was" running, until it got stuck near the top of the lift and had to be evacuated. Even scrambler and matterhorn were closed, but did reopen later in the night.

The park cleared out, and it was a great opportunity to check out all the haunted houses without any lines what so ever.

FB_IMG_1540132905490.thumb.jpg.4cf6e2b164b95333500ddc575f7835cf.jpg

I just left the park, busy cold Sunday. Glad I didn't bother with early entry as the cold (about 41-42) kept a lot of rides closed. Millennium opened around 12:45 and I got on with a 15 minute wait. By the time I got off the wait was almost 2 hours. Thought about grabbing some food and a drink while watching the Clowns at Chickie & Petes but even THAT had a line. So now I'm chilling at Thirsty Pony. I guess I'll try again next week.

Sounds as the park is in desperate need of its hibernation.. I'm glad noone is hurt.

I'm so sad that this great park is in such a climatical nightmare (from the point of an amusement park of course - I don't want to offend anyone living in real weather related problems).

I was out there this past Friday. First visit in five years. It was a rescheduled trip from the weekend after Labor Day, so I basically went in knowing I just had a few hours and I needed to make them count.

First off, thank goodness for early entry. From the way it seemed the lines were getting as 8-9 pm rolled around, that extra hour saved my bacon. I snagged a walk-on for Maverick, 20 minutes or so for Steel Vengeance, and 15 for the front row on Millennium Force. Valravn eventually became my fourth ride of the night, but mechanical downtime delayed that a bit. I eventually wandered back to it right as the line was opening after two previous checks on it, and so I mercifully avoided a lengthy wait. I timed Magnum right after it reopened, so no wait there, and GateKeeper would've been quick were it not for transferring on the third train right as I was about to board. It's a shame to hear that Friday nights are usually not so crowded as it would've been nice to binge some of the heavy hitters, but I was able to pick up the two credits I didn't have already (Steel Vengeance and Valravn).

(Possibly) controversial opinions: Steel Vengeance is not the clear winner as the best ride in the park in my eyes, with Maverick and Millennium Force being possible candidates. Also, Valravn is an exceptionally good ride, and I usually don't care much for dive machines.

(Possibly) controversial opinions: Steel Vengeance is not the clear winner as the best ride in the park in my eyes, with Maverick and Millennium Force being possible candidates. Also, Valravn is an exceptionally good ride, and I usually don't care much for dive machines.

Isn't it an awesome park? Half their rides would headline most parks, and here they're all in one place.

Exactly! It's like the hall of fame for roller coaster design. This was by far the longest I’ve gone without going there since I started visiting in 2002 (I even worked there in 2006 as a ride op on Top Thrill Dragster), and I felt like I was more excited than I’d ever been to get back. I realized that Valravn was the 20th coaster I’ve ridden at Cedar Point in my lifetime, and it’s crazy to think that the rides that have left since my first visit were Wildcat, Disaster Transport, and Mean Streak (I don’t count the Mantis/Rougarou conversion as a ride going and a new one coming, although I’m sure it counts from a comfort perspective), and in their place have come Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, GateKeeper, Valravn, and Steel Vengeance. The best keeps getting better.

I do want to point out that I take nothing away from Steel Vengeance when I say that I can't definitively call it the park's best coaster, because it was genuinely incredible, but those other two rides are just so incredibly fantastic in their own right that it's impossible for me to try to rank them.

I also meant to add that my Magnum lap was of the rare trimless variety, and I dare say it rivaled Skyrush and El Toro on the airtime front because of it. Unreal.

So.. May that be what all the hype in mid summer was about, when there were the posters with something regarding trains and the Cedar Creek Mining Company in Frontiertown? I don't have the picture on hand, but it was posted either here or in the KI thread.

That would really be a lot of hype for nearly nothing. But on the other hand.. We're talking about CF, aren't we!?

That would really be a lot of hype for nearly nothing. But on the other hand.. We're talking about CF, aren't we!?

The park just put up a few small indiscriminate posters. Any hype surrounding them was generated by enthusiasts so if all they're trying to do is put together a cohesive storyline for Frontiertown you can't turn around and blame them for the hype. They haven't really done much of anything, people are just letting their imaginations run wild (which is fine as long as you acknowledge that you're doing it to yourself).

The park just put up a few small indiscriminate posters. Any hype surrounding them was generated by enthusiasts so if all they're trying to do is put together a cohesive storyline for Frontiertown you can't turn around and blame them for the hype. They haven't really done much of anything, people are just letting their imaginations run wild (which is fine as long as you acknowledge that you're doing it to yourself).

No, Bill, I think I wasn't clear enough what I meant. I do in no way blame them for "advertising too much" of any related stuff. Quite the reverse: I love it how they exactly know what they are doing with us enthusiasts when they put up these little posters - and know in the same second that they won't do anything that deserves the hype (like just paint a building right now).

But nonetheless I think you can blame them for the hype, because they well know that some enthusiasts will jump onto the hype and they like to play along with us in that way. Just think of the number games before GateKeeper was official or the hints around Snake River Falls (R.I.P.).

But as it's my sense of humor, I like and appreciate it very much. As much as I like that Frontiertown gets more and more a themed area with a holistic storyline.

A few random shots from the park I took last week.

20181020_144905.thumb.jpg.004d2f80e2838c8285da81621df06c50.jpg

Irony...lol

20181020_143724.thumb.jpg.0b36d7999ea01e4e10d717b33b2e2206.jpg

20181020_113930.thumb.jpg.2e015418bf7ddd85c10c58ee2585f54c.jpg

20181019_230545.thumb.jpg.678a4248126880835b17bd9c26cd0dad.jpg

20181014_162443.thumb.jpg.8b4f2bf9b428d408a6faf0365e6ad4c8.jpg

20181014_180546.thumb.jpg.822d446776ff53bbb68f2b456200978c.jpg

20181013_223311.thumb.jpg.36285af412f80d39cb6cdca71f12af3c.jpg

A day before they were removed.

20181013_192213.thumb.jpg.df6e707e886bd5312d1319fdbd871081.jpg

20181013_180240.thumb.jpg.3a69e12a5d877356e1f2d606fd5fa3ae.jpg

20181013_192032.thumb.jpg.5c131b3002a8dfb683dbddd509546e50.jpg

20181020_110229.thumb.jpg.8d29189d580448313fb8fb671af47c5f.jpg

20181014_191201.thumb.jpg.98b117827c5049a0cfc4b744d4a2f4e8.jpg

20181020_162250.thumb.jpg.6f7244d4b4714dc117700986729d9f94.jpg

20181013_213818.thumb.jpg.6411e4e70e7847beb98008f0e28c3ffc.jpg

20181013_213831.thumb.jpg.587b996f685ef32585f4a81696fe1cd1.jpg

20181014_180439.thumb.jpg.bf9d51a0d8be884736164e268b8785d7.jpg

This last picture shows what's wrong with the world today. People are completely lazy. There is a trash can right next to the table, but yet there was trash left on the table. Who the $uck raised these people?

^They didn't even leave a tip.

But nonetheless I think you can blame them for the hype, because they well know that some enthusiasts will jump onto the hype and they like to play along with us in that way. Just think of the number games before GateKeeper was official or the hints around Snake River Falls (R.I.P.).

I personally wish they would have only changed the light bulbs in the station and announced it, just to piss off all of the bitches and coaster enthusiast drama queens.