TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I had The Melt for lunch on back to back days. Had the Hot Italian minus banana peppers. Yum! It's not cheap. I think my sandwich alone was $16.99. You sure don't feel like you're at a restaurant inside an amusement park. Just feels like you were out and about in town. Besides all the huge Cedar Point pictures all over the wall. lol

IMG_6880.thumb.jpg.9af9f7ddb0522b7fce14fb7c23cd3282.jpg

Hot Italian

We had an awesome server at Melt that suggested us to order the "Kindergarten" aka half sandwiches aka kids meal(?) if we weren't starving and warned us how huge the sandwiches are.

So my bill ended up being a kids meal and two beers

that's brilliant! should have thought of that

I have a Fast Lane Plus pass question for Friday and Saturday. I don't have early entry to the park, so where should I start? Start in the front of the park and work back since everyone will be running SV? Or do we start at SV and work towards the front? Or does it matter since we have FL+? Sorry for the dumb questions, but you all are pros at this park planning thing.

I have two trains of though on this...

Just go to Steel Vengeance. It barely matters anyway and that's the ride that you're coming for (I assume). My opinion has sort of evolved on this over time but now I feel like unless there's something super obvious (like a ride that's not on Fastlane with miserable capacity) just go to the ride that you want to make absolutely sure that you ride (especially when the ride is known for mechanical temper tantrums).

or

Go to Dragster, go directly to Dragster, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Enter the resort gate and go straight there once you have your Fastlane. Rain is in the forecast and it won't run in any rain whatsoever and it breaks down constantly. If it's open, just ride it... then hit the 2 major coasters in Frontiertown (and Mine Ride if you care since it's not on Fastlane) and then loop back around to Millennium Force. Iron Dragon isn't on Fastlane either but the line is basically always the same length and it's only like 30 minutes so whatever.

I have a Fast Lane Plus pass question for Friday and Saturday. I don't have early entry to the park, so where should I start? Start in the front of the park and work back since everyone will be running SV? Or do we start at SV and work towards the front? Or does it matter since we have FL+? Sorry for the dumb questions, but you all are pros at this park planning thing.

We had early entry (and also got FL+) last Tuesday. Steel Vengeance and the other early entry coasters already had decently-long lines by the time park opened. Since you have FL+, I don't think there's necessarily a "better" or "worse" way of approaching the park. I would say that from our experience, SV gets better (faster) later in the day after it's warmed up more, so it wouldn't be terrible to wait on riding it (unless you're concerned about afternoon/evening bad weather). I will say it seems like Dragster always breaks down or closes for wind/weather, and both days we went, it went down and never came back up. For that reason, I'd say ride Dragster first if it's running at park opening.

We had an awesome server at Melt that suggested us to order the "Kindergarten" aka half sandwiches aka kids meal(?) if we weren't starving and warned us how huge the sandwiches are.

So my bill ended up being a kids meal and two beers

Do you remember if any of the sandwiches can be a kids meal? That's great to know if that's true! Both times I've been to Melt I was super hungry and still couldn't finish my whole sandwich!

You probably can for an upcharge since you can add a number ingredients for free and some for extra.You'll just have to see next time. I was content with the regular grilled cheese.

I saw someone post a pic years ago of some restaurant across the way from Cedar Point and it had a patio right on the water with an amazing view of the park. Anyone know that place and if the food is legit?

I’m always taking pics from those places. They’re all off site, aside from Famous Dave’s. The closest is Lyman’s, which is a large boating complex with bar and patio. Great view of the point/ entire peninsula. Just had drinks so can’t speak to the food. You walk to the water from most places downtown Sandusky (near the Carrousel museum). Two trips ago, I went to Dockside Cafe, which is an outdoor cafe/ restaurant on the water with another great view of the park/ entire peninsula. Fish tacos were good.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

I had The Melt for lunch on back to back days. Had the Hot Italian minus banana peppers. Yum! It's not cheap. I think my sandwich alone was $16.99. You sure don't feel like you're at a restaurant inside an amusement park. Just feels like you were out and about in town. Besides all the huge Cedar Point pictures all over the wall. lol

One last thought about Melt, the walls are covered with really cool pictures of Cedar Point. Some are more recent, some are really old, there are a couple of really old maps too. Some old school logos are painted on the walls too, if I'm remembering it right. I had a good time just walking around the restaurant looking at all the pictures while waiting for our food.

Speaking of The Melt- it is the home of the best beer I've had at a park. Heavy Seas Tropicannon. Had 3 or 4 of those over the course of the day during Coastermania, and I can't wait to wet my beak again at the end of the month when I make my glorious return.

WP_20180601_16_13_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.3e93ca9469e07182997bab1d003df3fd.jpg

Planning a trip to CP the Monday August 27 & Tuesday August 28, just want to get an idea how crowded the park will be and should I plan on FL+ or wait and see. I have a Platinum Pass and plan on getting there for early entry.

Also, I got a rate of $77 per night at Breakers Express. How good/bad is it?

Thanks in advance.

Planning a trip to CP the Monday August 27 & Tuesday August 28, just want to get an idea how crowded the park will be and should I plan on FL+ or wait and see. I have a Platinum Pass and plan on getting there for early entry.

Thanks in advance.

I went the same dates in 2016 and there were still 30+ minute waits for many of the coasters all day. Fast forward to 2018..

Do you want to ride Maverick and Steel Vengeance a bunch? Budget for FP because it seems like CP's getting busier this month, and you will absolutely save time on many of the coasters if it's busy. If not hooray, extra Thirsty Pony bucks. Go through the last 10 pages or so and you'll see plenty of reviews of Breakers Express. You don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks in advance.

I went the same dates in 2016 and there were still 30+ minute waits for many of the coasters all day. Fast forward to 2018..

This is crazy because I went Wednesday and half of Thursday either the same week as you or the week before in 2016 and the place was dead. Maverick was a station wait all day. There was a threat of storms so that could have kept people away, but we never saw a drop of rain and it was sunny most of the day with darker clouds rolling across the lake.

Regardless, this is great advice that I would also give:

Do you want to ride Maverick and Steel Vengeance a bunch? Budget for FP because it seems like CP's getting busier this month, and you will absolutely save time on many of the coasters if it's busy. If not hooray, extra Thirsty Pony bucks.

If you budget for it and want to ride Steel Vengeance a bunch, it seems like you'll know whether before early entry ends if it's needed.

Thanks in advance.

This is crazy because I went Wednesday and half of Thursday either the same week as you or the week before in 2016 and the place was dead. Maverick was a station wait all day. There was a threat of storms so that could have kept people away, but we never saw a drop of rain and it was sunny most of the day with darker clouds rolling across the lake.

Hmmm the week I went was the last week of daily operations. The wait times for most of the coasters fluctuated throughout the day but Maverick and Valravn were consistently 30+ minutes. We had brilliant weather each day outside of one massive 2 hour weather explosion monsoon thing.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm the week I went was the last week of daily operations. The wait times for most of the coasters fluctuated throughout the day but Maverick and Valravn were consistently 30+ minutes. We had brilliant weather each day outside of one massive 2 hour weather explosion monsoon thing.

Yep we went the same week except I was actually there all day Thursday and half of Friday, I just found this picture of what Maverick's line was like on August 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM.

IMG_5491.thumb.JPG.05d3e179f02941eb0a74cab1cc20788a.JPG

If I remember right the forecast was pretty iffy for a good chunk of the week. Wednesday night the forecast was rain all day for Thursday, but it just never happened. We did get a few clouds throughout the day like this, but no rain.

IMG_5496.thumb.JPG.1c7deac1122bac8cdc137749bc0edb4d.JPG

Best day I've ever had at CP without FL, as far as getting on the best coasters a lot of times. Even with Valravn being new we were able to find it without a line a few times. I was actually curious though if it's always like that in late August or if we just got really lucky, so it's interesting to hear that your side of the week was much busier.

Thanks in advance.

CP's Express Hotel was great when I stayed in June. That's a great price for it too (I paid $100 a night for 4 nights). Besides the pool and gift shop it's pretty much no frills (no breakfast, etc.), but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. It was updated last year and the room I had was very clean. The elevators can be a little slow, but otherwise I had a great stay. I would definitely stay there again, unless I budget for Breakers in the future. The other motels/cheaper accommodations nearby look a bit run down for my liking.

Got to the park for a 3 day stay this afternoon. Had dinner at Melt...fantastic food and atmosphere and really not bad price wise considering the quality and quantity of food. Good beer selection also.

Started riding around 7:30. Wicked Twister was a walk on so hit that quickly...still a fun ride and love the setting. Headed over for my first Gatekeeper ride...30 mins for back left. Wasn't the biggest fan...kind of jerky and just flowed kind of weird but fun anyway.

B&M's true masterpiece next door followed which was about a 45 minute wait (the main Midway at night idea didn't work to plan tonight) and crazy as ever. 2nd half was nuts... almost neck snapping quick tonight.

Skyrided it over to MF...just over 45 minutes to get a ride in front. Only a 4 train wait for the front, never seen that before. Bugs weren't as bad on the ride as I remember them from previous trips but they are absolute hell elsewhere in the park.

It was pushing 10:30 and the time had come to finally hit Steel Vengeance for the first time. Only 4 switchbacks filled and the attendant said under an hour wait. But after 2 breakdowns and what turned into 1 train operation, got on around 12:15. Never ridden anything like it. Far and away new #1 coaster and nothing else comes close. The fact that it's as long as it is and throws feature after feature at you right to the end just blows anything else away.

Back at it tomorrow. Thursday looks wet...hopefully not too bad so we can get some rides in.

Best day I've ever had at CP without FL, as far as getting on the best coasters a lot of times. Even with Valravn being new we were able to find it without a line a few times. I was actually curious though if it's always like that in late August or if we just got really lucky, so it's interesting to hear that your side of the week was much busier.

Usually the last couple Monday's, Tuesday's, Wednesday's, and Thursday's in August are completely dead.

Hey everyone! Finally making my first post on here. My partner and I are headed to Cedar Point on Friday afternoon from Denver and will be going to the park Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. We are very excited and cannot wait to check out Steel Vengeance! We are staying at the Express Hotel and will be purchasing fast lane plus depending on the weather. It’s looking like Sunday would be the day to do it. I will take lots of pictures and hope to post a photo TR sometime next week!

Hey everyone! Finally making my first post on here. My partner and I are headed to Cedar Point on Friday afternoon from Denver and will be going to the park Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. We are very excited and cannot wait to check out Steel Vengeance! We are staying at the Express Hotel and will be purchasing fast lane plus depending on the weather. It’s looking like Sunday would be the day to do it. I will take lots of pictures and hope to post a photo TR sometime next week!

Enjoy! Both days this weekend look amazing from a weather standpoint.

Thank you! Oh nice! Thank you for the heads up. I had checked yesterday and they were forecasting 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Today the forecast is looking way better.

Thank you! Oh nice! Thank you for the heads up. I had checked yesterday and they were forecasting 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Today the forecast is looking way better.

We are going Friday and Saturday and already purchased the FL+ for both days. I haven't done crap at work all day but stare at Sandusky weather updates and read the blogs about Canada Wonderland. Friday's 50% chance of scattered t-storms is scaring me, but I am praying to the weather gods to help me out! Saturday looks amazing! Fingers crossed for Friday

Why would anyone be afraid of scattered thunderstorms? It's summer. It looks like if anything it'll be one passing afternoon thunderstorm which will probably last for like 30 minutes and honestly it looks like there's an even better chance it won't rain at all.

If it does storm, go to the bar and watch the storm over the lake or something. It won't last long.

Why would anyone be afraid of scattered thunderstorms? It's summer. It looks like if anything it'll be one passing afternoon thunderstorm which will probably last for like 30 minutes and honestly it looks like there's an even better chance it won't rain at all.

If it does storm, go to the bar and watch the storm over the lake or something. It won't last long.

Yes, very true and that's when I'll start getting my drink on when it rains... But you have no idea the bad luck I have!

1. I'm always the next in line at Maverick when the ride ops decide load a new train... Then I have to wait for the loading and a full cycle of trains!!! UGHHH

2. I'm always the next in line at Raptor when some VIP gets to choose where they would like to sit and they always select my lane!!!

3. I'm always the next in line for TTD and there is a roll back... I was one train away from getting my first roll back and then it was because of some issue and there is a 4 hour delay

4. I'm always in MF's line and then 4000000 teenagers cut the line and say their friends are in front of me and make up some lame excuse!

Last but not least 5. Steel Vengeance will be closed all weekend because I'm coming to CP for the first time in 11 years just for this ride and of course all of their other world class coasters because it is in my opinion the greatest place in the world!

HAHAHA, clearly I'm kidding, but my luck sucks!!!

Today ended up being a FL Plus day with rain on the way tomorrow. Wanted to get everything in that I could just in case stuff closes tomorrow.

7 rides on SV...doesn't get any less insane even after that many rides. Almost started to feel sick after marathoning it 5 times (and twice on Maverick thrown in there).

Speaking of Maverick, that thing at night might actually be more insane than SV. Especially the 2nd half...complete darkness in the tunnel so that turn comes out of nowhere. Then the camera flash to blind you right before the Stengel Dives. It was hauling tonight too.

Hoping to get some rides in between thunderstorms tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.