TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

“But what if I have special pockets? Surely this can’t apply to special people like me.”

Hi there Bill. Welcome to this new world filled with self-entitled people where they think the rules don't apply to them. I hope you enjoy you're stay here. Or at least as long as you can stand it before you want to kill yourself and/or everyone else... or maybe the other option is a move to Japan where they probably still have a few more years left before the entitlement plague infects them, too.

^^ I feel like those are the same people that also ask, "What time does the 7:00 parade start?"

Nah, the people who ask those questions are just flat-out morons. The people who are all "Does this rule REALLY apply to me" are both flat-out morons and people with a sense of self-entitlement who are just trying to game the system for their own personal benefit.

I think I said my opinion in the wrong way on the last page, *I would never actually bring a phone on a ride*, I am simply saying some idiots who are daring enough will just see the locker cost as an extra fee and they will feel like they don’t need to and will just bring it on. If the lockers were free, or the people were more well-informed about how low the cost really is, more people will rent them and not be stupid enough to bring phones on the ride. I honestly agree that it is good that they are at least trying to avoid another massive incident over some idiot wandering over fences to get their phones, but there has to be a better method. Even having small pouches on the train like at Disney could be a good move, just make it zip up. The issue is the inconsistency over how some rides allow it and some don’t. They need to do an all or none policy, as I have seen many GP putting phones in lockers to ride Iron Dragon. I agree that it is nice without the bins to keep the lines moving, but they need to advertise their low prices for the lockers. I will never bring my phone in a ride, I simply don’t trust myself enough, but some GP view lockers at CP as the same price as a ticket, even though it is far from that. I think the park needs to be more consistent with phone policies and educate the GP a little more and it could be a great system.

Edited by rjr19

^^ I feel like those are the same people that also ask, "What time does the 7:00 parade start?"

Nah, the people who ask those questions are just flat-out morons. The people who are all "Does this rule REALLY apply to me" are both flat-out morons and people with a sense of self-entitlement who are just trying to game the system for their own personal benefit.

So basically the ' I want to speak to the manager' at any retail store person.

I think I said my opinion in the wrong way on the last page, *I would never actually bring a phone on a ride*, I am simply saying some idiots who are daring enough will just see the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo cost as an extra fee and they will feel like they don’t need to and will just bring it on. If the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo were free, or the people were more well-informed about how low the cost really is, more people will rent them and not be stupid enough to bring phones on the ride. I honestly agree that it is good that they are at least trying to avoid another massive incident over some idiot wandering over fences to get their phones, but there has to be a better method. Even having small pouches on the train like at Disney could be a good move, just make it zip up. The issue is the inconsistency over how some rides allow it and some don’t. They need to do an all or none policy, as I have seen many GP putting phones in fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo to ride Iron Dragon. I agree that it is nice without the bins to keep the lines moving, but they need to advertise their low prices for the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. I will never bring my phone in a ride, I simply don’t trust myself enough, but some GP view fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at CP as the same price as a ticket, even though it is far from that. I think the park needs to be more consistent with phone policies and educate the GP a little more and it could be a great system.

I 100% agree to this. I feel that most of the problem stems from the “take a pic or it didn’t happen” mentality and for that I fully support the taking of cellphones away.

This reminds me about the single rider line days. I feel they stopped existing was mainly because people abused the system. And that caused it to be removed (also other factors played a roll, just stating one factor).

It would suck if a person can’t have secured pockets HOWEVEr, whatever the park states is what the park states and fully support. I just want to know how will they handle that. Will it be a flat out ban or will it be like the sunglasses strap and have employees visually see if they are strapped or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me about the single rider line days. I feel they stopped existing was mainly because people abused the system. And that caused it to be removed (also other factors played a roll, just stating one factor).

I really feel like the main reason you've seen single rider lines disappear outside of Disney parks is that most parks aren't able to handle the operations needed to keep them flowing organically along with the regular queue. For most single riders lines I've seen outside of Disney parks, they seem to be more of an afterthought than fully incorporated into the queue design and flow of operations. Most amusement parks also do not assign seats or group people which is another reason why it doesn't work.

At a Disney park, the single rider line is woven seamlessly into the organic operations of the rides that include them....

Two people, row number one.

Four people, two on row two, two on row three.

Five people, two on row four, two on row five, one on row six, single rider, row six

Two people, row number seven

Three people, two on row eight, one on row nine, single rider row nine...

And it happens just as quickly and easily as that. Most other parks do not have the operational capacity or organization of the queue to be able to handle this. It takes a well-oiled machine to successfully operate single rider lines and outside of Disney, it is often not done to a satisfactory level.

Edited by robbalvey

At a Disney park, the single rider line is woven seamlessly into the organic operations of the rides that include them....

Two people, row number one.

Four people, two on row two, two on row three.

Five people, two on row four, two on row five, one on row six, single rider, row six

Two people, row number seven

Three people, two on row eight, one on row nine, single rider row nine...

And it happens just as quickly and easily as that. Most other parks do not have the operational capacity or organization of the queue to be able to handle this. It takes a well-oiled machine to successfully operate single rider lines and outside of Disney, it is often not done to a satisfactory level.

Woah. That is very efficient. A way different experience then other parks. I would say that is a major reason they have since disappeared from other parks. It is a shame that they have since disappeared but that makes sense. It was an issue that had many problems, one of them being the operational capacity.

That was a different way to look at that situation. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are they actually enforcing this new policy? Not that I'd ever advocate for knowingly breaking park rules but unless you go full Universal or TSA, but there's pretty much no alternative to actually ensure someone doesn't have a phone in their pocket. To me it seems like more of a scare tactic to try and keep as many phones off it as possible and to give a good reason to remove people from the ride who are known to have their phone out while about to get on the ride.
When I was there this weekend they didn't mind if you have phones in line (I had mine out all the time) and they never said anything to me with my phone in my pocket..but I do know I waited in the station on Gemini for close to 5 mins longer than I should have due to the ride opp stopping the train, walking up the lift to confiscate two phones

On another coaster, I can't remember which one, they actually told a kid to put his phone in his pocket..

On Steel Vengeance, they told folks to put their phones down their shirts and tuck their shirts in.. this was on Monday. I can't remember seeing that no phone sign then but I wasn't looking

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201807210011

SANDUSKY — We live in a data-driven age in which just about everyone is walking around with a super computer in their pocket, disguised as a smartphone. Phones today can cost well in excess of $1,000. So why would anyone want to risk the chance of smashing it into pieces?

Cedar Point is now enforcing a rule: Cellphones will no longer be allowed with you in line for Steel Vengeance. The rule states cellphones must be left in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo or with a non-rider.

"Similar to the rider safety policies on other thrilling rides at Cedar Point, loose articles, including cellphones, are not permitted on Steel Vengeance,” Cedar Point spokesman Tony Clark said.

The previous protocol left the securing of a personal cellphone device to the discretion of the guest. While no loose articles are allowed in the line, if you had pockets with buttons or zippers, it was an acceptable means of locking up the device before riding.

But there are still countless instances every single day of cellphones either falling out of guests’ pockets or, worse — guests taking them out, trying to take a picture or video while riding.

A recent issue at Kings Dominion, a sister park to Cedar Point in Doswell, Virginia, involved a woman being hit in the face with a phone while riding Twisted Timbers, resulting in a stricter phone policy being implemented.

Ride hosts will be enforcing this policy as they have with other rider policies.

Guests can rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo immediately adjacent to Steel Vengeance. For $10, guests can purchase a movable fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rental code that can be used throughout the park. Otherwise, fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are $2 for the first two hours and $1 extra per hour thereafter.

I guess this policy is very very new and wasn't being enforced on Monday.. news article just popped up on my Google news feed

Like I said, on Monday, they had guest put all loose articles, phones included, down their shirts and tuck their shirt in. Maybe they were testing that before going full blown

Edited by robbalvey

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201807210011

SANDUSKY — We live in a data-driven age in which just about everyone is walking around with a super computer in their pocket, disguised as a smartphone. Phones today can cost well in excess of $1,000. So why would anyone want to risk the chance of smashing it into pieces?

Cedar Point is now enforcing a rule: Cellphones will no longer be allowed with you in line for Steel Vengeance. The rule states cellphones must be left in a locker or with a non-rider.

"Similar to the rider safety policies on other thrilling rides at Cedar Point, loose articles, including cellphones, are not permitted on Steel Vengeance,” Cedar Point spokesman Tony Clark said.

The previous protocol left the securing of a personal cellphone device to the discretion of the guest. While no loose articles are allowed in the line, if you had pockets with buttons or zippers, it was an acceptable means of locking up the device before riding.

But there are still countless instances every single day of cellphones either falling out of guests’ pockets or, worse — guests taking them out, trying to take a picture or video while riding.

A recent issue at Kings Dominion, a sister park to Cedar Point in Doswell, Virginia, involved a woman being hit in the face with a phone while riding Twisted Timbers, resulting in a stricter phone policy being implemented.

Ride hosts will be enforcing this policy as they have with other rider policies.

Guests can rent a locker immediately adjacent to Steel Vengeance. For $10, guests can purchase a movable locker rental code that can be used throughout the park. Otherwise, lockers are $2 for the first two hours and $1 extra per hour thereafter.

I guess this policy is very very new and wasn't being enforced on Monday.. news article just popped up on my Google news feed

Like I said, on Monday, they had guest put all loose articles, phones included, down their shirts and tuck their shirt in. Maybe they were testing that before going full blown

It's disappointing for sure. Thankfully I never go to the park without a Fast Lane Plus so I won't mind putting my phone away for 15 minutes in a locker. But I will absoultely choose not to ride any ride where I have to wait in any sort of significant line without my phone. (I've ridden Hulk a total of ONE time since it re-opened!) It annoys me enough already with rides like Steel Vengeance because I would love to take photos while in the queue, in the station, as I'm a responsible adult that can put my phone off to the side in a bin.

I don't like being punished or treated like a criminal by a park when I haven't done anything wrong, especially when one of the reasons sited as to why they are enforcing the policy is because of an issue at another park 500 miles away.

So basically I read that as I'm being preemptively punished for something that I didn't do, am not going to do, and that didn't even happen in their own park. Yeah, that doesn't fly with me and I will not agree that policy is a good look for any park. Poor guest satisfaction right there.

But I get it... we live in a world full of idiots. Thanks idiots.

It's just sad that parks in other countries can come up with better solutions, but we cannot here in America. Par for the course...

Edited by robbalvey

That's another good point, most of my best photos come from waiting in line for the rides! You get some of the best views of the park in ride stations and in line at times

That's another good point, most of my best photos come from waiting in line for the rides! You get some of the best views of the park in ride stations and in line at times

That's why I say it's a poor "Guest Satisfaction" decision. Sure they are weighing "people taking pictures in line" with "potential injuries and the PR side effect of that" and obviously rider injuries is going to win over someone posting a photo to Instagram, but that also doesn't translate into good guest satisfaction scores.

I guarantee people are going to bitch and complain, and rightfully so, when they are told they HAVE to put their phone away in a locker for the duration of their 90-120 minute wait for Steel Vengeance. I would fully support and encourage those complaints because forcing someone to put your phone in a locker when you have a two hour wait in line is STUPID!

It's a complete "SCREW YOU" to the guest.

Come up with a better solution that doesn't create an annoyance for your paying customers.

Edited by robbalvey

Since we are going down this route, why not use double sided lockers? Design things where the entrance and exit queues run parallel and have a wall of lockers between them with doors on both sides... You put your stuff in as you pass by just short of the station and then grab it on the way out... Also since it's a short duration and only open to people in the queue, you wouldn't need a huge number of lockers.

Is there a system like this in place anywhere? Obviously this won't work everywhere since the queue locations can be quite different, but it was just a quick solution that popped into my head...

Since we are going down this route, why not use double sided fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo? Design things where the entrance and exit queues run parallel and have a wall of fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo between them with doors on both sides... You put your stuff in as you pass by just short of the station and then grab it on the way out... Also since it's a short duration and only open to people in the queue, you wouldn't need a huge number of fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

Is there a system like this in place anywhere? Obviously this won't work everywhere since the queue locations can be quite different, but it was just a quick solution that popped into my head...

I think Europa Park does this, which like Robb said, other countries are coming up with better solutions while we're stuck with these other ideas that aren't the greatest.

I really wish that Cedar Fair (and other parks that have this no cellphone in the queue policy) could see what parks like Europa Park does and put it in some of their rides, cause even though it might cost a big $$$, it's efficient and will leave guests happy.

I witnessed the aftermath of a guy getting his nose broken on El Toro. Blood all over the train and platform. Had a water bottle just miss my head on Superman (SFNE). Sadly a few bad actors make it horrible for the responsible folks out there.

^^^^Yes, that exists. Coaster at Playland has a bank of cubbies, with one-way “flaps,” that guests can use just before joining the individual row queues. The other side is accessible to the unload station. I wouldn’t expect a solution like this to spread much though (although I agree that I want to see parks implement these stricter policies in a much more guest-friendly way).

On almost rides with lapbars, parks can just put an elastic strap pouch to store loose articles. Almost any coaster train has room for something similar if they REALLY wanted to, whether it's somewhere on the car itself or attached to the lap bar (save for T-style bars).

In 2018 asking someone to be without their phone for so long AND also charging them for the locker to store it is kind of ridiculous.

On almost rides with lapbars, parks can just put an elastic strap pouch to store loose articles. Almost any coaster train has room for something similar if they REALLY wanted to, whether it's somewhere on the car itself or attached to the lap bar (save for T-style bars).

In 2018 asking someone to be without their phone for so long AND also charging them for the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to store it is kind of ridiculous.

Issue here is, what keeps idiots from taking their phone out of the pouch? Like Rob keeps saying, these idiots have caused this mess, and they are the same folks that sneak phones out of zipped cargo pants, refuse to leave phones in bins, and so on

Disney has these on their coasters and I use them all the time without issues.

In 2018 asking someone to be without their phone for so long AND also charging them for the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to store it is kind of ridiculous.

I mean, you're only in theme park operations, what do you know?

IIRC didn't all the coasters in which the load/unload was the same are all have bins for storing your loose articles? Why did they get rid of these?

I agree with Robb that it really isn't fair to the vast majority of us that keep everything in our pockets when we ride. I'm ok with a chance that someone accidentally grabs the wrong phone, you are assuming that risk when you place your stuff in those bins.

Those lines are boring as hell just standing amd waiting and I often take my phone out in line to browse the internet, but once I'm in the station and like 1 or 2 rides away from my turn, I secure everything in my pockets and keep them there for the entire ride.

IIRC didn't all the coasters in which the load/unload was the same are all have bins for storing your loose articles? Why did they get rid of these?

CP removed the bins on major coasters in an attempt to speed up dispatch times. The only coasters that never had them were TTD and MF of course.

Or, we just re-install the BINS! I know it can slow down dispatches, but seriously, safety should 100 percent come first.
This is the best solution imo.. one thing I hated at CP was no Bins, no bottle holders, no nothing.. (some rides had bins). Yeah it might slow ops down but it doesn't show them down that much.. at parks I have been to with bins, most folks have their stuff in the bin and back to the train before everyone unloading is off the platform.

Cedar Point lost a bottle purchase on me because there was no place to store it on rides.. I just drunk free ice water the entire trip and maybe one Powerade a day because of that policy. I know they have the wrist bands but I wasn't interested in those personally