TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The only time I ever truly experience "sh*t show" operations at Point has been Opening weekend Saturday the past couple years. Other than that? Sunday typically runs well and I almost always go the Monday or Tuesday following opening day if the weather is nice. And it's fine. Sure the B&M's might have 2 trains running instead of 3, or a ride may be closed, but those are risks you take going any day of the season. So I would agree, May weekdays being horrible outside of Opening Weekend is a TPR urban legend that's blown up the past few years. But that's just my opinion as someone who lives within an hours drive.

I would say if anything is horrible for May weekdays to keep people away it may be the food stand operations. Now that is something worth complaining about. But let's be honest.. NO ONE goes to CP for the food, it's terrible. Exception being Brew and BBQ.

I go 40-50 times a year and may is my second least favorite time to go behind Fridays during Halloweekends. Operations​ aren't horrible but even for somebody who goes to the park all the time, the very regular breakdowns are annoying and frustrating. I'd much rather go during June when the park is still fairly dead but operations are at their best.

Opening weekend has been lousy every year for years. Obviously it only improves from there but by June all the college kids and internationals are there and you actually see food booths open, Gemini running both sides, full capacity on coasters, etc.

I'll go for opening weekend to get my Steel Vengeance ride (singular) in, but I'll go in knowing I'll spend minimum time because half the coasters won't run and food waits will be preposterous.

That sounds really great if you live close and can be okay with not everything running or running well. I live 11 hours away and can only get up there about every other year, so I'll wait for June. Still not awful lines, much better operations.

We came from Germany last year and went Tuesday to Friday in the week after July 4th - we had almost no lines anywhere, best weather (90°F+), no rain and multiple rides on all major coasters every day. We had prebooked FL+ for one day and used it on wednesday, which was really worth it because crowds were a bit more this day. Therefore we marathoned MF, Raptor, Maverick and TTD which was very cool.

Crowds were so low that we didn't even make use of early entry on some days, because we were able to ride so much an better took a long sleep - or took a nap in Breakers during the hot time. Coasters were open until 10 pm (which is not in May) and after 8 pm you could hop-off-hop-on on MF, TTD or Gatekeeper. And mostly you could still go in the longest line of the day exactly at 10 pm making your last ride almost at 10:30 to 11:00 pm.

I mean, people can take CP advice from whomever they want, but it sounds like they're taking it from people who attend maybe once or twice a year at best, rather than somebody who knows the park like the back of his hand. I'm not sure why people are pushing this "poor operations" in May narrative, but if it keeps more people away, all the more benefit for me!

Again, we're discussing 2 different groups of people. If I lived in Lansing I would love going that week even though Gemeni won't race, rides will open progressively as the day goes on as staffing becomes available and they might have a hypercoaster or two closed because I can go back there whenever I want.

When someone says "Hey, I'm making a huge trek to Cedar Point, spending a ton of money on airfare and I won't be back for a long time... when should I go?" the answer is NOT the beginning of May. That person is likely budgeting for Fastlane anyway so they should go when they know the coasters will most likely all be operating.

If you're a local, that's a great time to plan a trip. If you have to travel a significant distance, it's a horrible time to plan a trip. It all depends on your situation (like I said).

Does anyone know if Vengeance will be running steel wheels? Or are they running the polyurethane/whatever rmc uses in their soft compound wheels.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I believe every single RMC coaster built runs polyurethane wheels, with the exception of Outlaw Run. It’s safe to say that Steel Vengeance will not use steel wheels.

Some of the earlier rides like Medusa and Wicked Cyclone use a combination of both the urethane and nylon wheels. Although I believe I've read that they've switched almost all their rides over to the urethane wheels with the exception of Outlaw Run.

The way they've redesigned the train appears to me that Steel Vegeance and Twisted Timbers is going to ride more like Texas Giant and Iron Rattler.

That is one great looking coaster. I can't wait to see it in person and camp next to it! That skyline keeps getting better and better. I'm curious how many new visitors this will bring to the park vs. Valravn.

Valravn had the same result as any new coaster does to the general public, a significant increase. It was a been there done that coaster for a lot of us enthusiasts or travelers. Unlike SV, it didn't get me to make another 5hr trip to the Point. Although RMC is starting to become commonplace, this coaster is different. Every time I watch the POV, I can't believe the length, airtime and constant pace. If the real thing is the same and the hype becomes more than talk, the crowds will be insane. You and I are lucky, we are visiting in May

Any bets on how long the longest wait will be for Steel Vengeance on opening day? I'm thinking 5 - 6 hours max. I plan on going Memorial Day weekend...And FL+ will be my friend.

Since people claimed Mean Streak didn't have a line due to its location on the wrong side of the train tracks, I'm gonna predict like 20 mins tops.

Those tracks make it very difficult for people to get to.

Any bets on how long the longest wait will be for Steel Vengeance on opening day? I'm thinking 5 - 6 hours max. I plan on going Memorial Day weekend...And FL+ will be my friend.

Do people really wait that long in line for a coaster? I'm thinking an hour is going to be my max. If I miss some coasters, so be it. We are planning two weekdays at CP in late August and have platinum passes and prepared to FL+ if the need arises.

I assume lighter crowds if we are there after Cleveland, Toledo, and Columbus are back in school, right?

Do people really wait that long in line for a coaster? I'm thinking an hour is going to be my max. If I miss some coasters, so be it. We are planning two weekdays at CP in late August and have platinum passes and prepared to FL+ if the need arises.

I assume lighter crowds if we are there after Cleveland, Toledo, and Columbus are back in school, right?

People in Ohio are crazy. Kings Island and Cedar Point always seem to get ridiculous lines for brand new coasters on opening day. Wasn't Mystic Timbers like 4 hours?

People in Ohio are crazy. Kings Island and Cedar Point always seem to get ridiculous lines for brand new coasters on opening day. Wasn't Mystic Timbers like 4 hours?

It was more like 6 hours at one point, and that was on preview night! The crew had to go in at 3:30 and we didn't get out till about 1 with the last train being sent at like 12:30.

If you think people are crazy for new roller coasters in Ohio, check out opening day parades for Cincinnati Reds....

Since people claimed Mean Streak didn't have a line due to its location on the wrong side of the train tracks, I'm gonna predict like 20 mins tops.

Those tracks make it very difficult for people to get to.

LMFAO!

Do people really wait that long in line for a coaster?

Sadly, yes... Some people seem to really get off on saying they waited XXX hours to ride. I don't understand it either, but whatever. To each their own.

I've been waiting for RMC Mean Streak for at least 5 years. I would gladly wait in whatever the hell line there was for it on its opening day if I was there and it was open. What else could be more important on that day for a frequent visitor, really?

Source: Waited 5 hours for the Gringott's Rollercoaster in Diagon Alley opening day, and 2.5 hours for Cobra's Curse opening week of that one. Bring a tablet and friends.