TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Magnum tunnel sound effects! I seem to remember red lasers and fog?

Awesome!! I remember the lights and fog, and I generally love campy little touches like this. I stayed at Sandcastle as a young kid and recall getting my first impression of Magnum as I walked along the back path that contours the coaster. The first hill looked huge, but I wasn't truly intimidated until I saw a train disappear into a foggy tunnel with glowing lights inside. Then I saw more tunnels and thought, "Oh lord, what on earth happens in those!?" Even though we can all clearly see the contours of the tunneled track segments, it didn't matter -- I thought it might really be outer space or something in there! Ah, to be young.

Magnum tunnel sound effects! I seem to remember red lasers and fog?

Awesome!! I remember the lights and fog, and I generally love campy little touches like this. I stayed at Sandcastle as a young kid and recall getting my first impression of Magnum as I walked along the back path that contours the coaster. The first hill looked huge, but I wasn't truly intimidated until I saw a train disappear into a foggy tunnel with glowing lights inside. Then I saw more tunnels and thought, "Oh lord, what on earth happens in those!?" Even though we can all clearly see the contours of the tunneled track segments, it didn't matter -- I thought it might really be outer space or something in there! Ah, to be young.

The lights and fog would be a welcome return, don't you think? I miss those red lights. And while they're at it, how about blue lights in Millie's tunnel(s)? With fog, of course. But just at night... it could be "Maggie after dark" and "Millie after dark." Ladies of the night. They could join their big sister TTD, otherwise known as "High Heel Dragqueen."

I'm always down with smoke and lights in tunnels. SFNE did a nice job with Superman.

Magnums 30th is coming up, right? Tony I know you're reading this!

#makemagnumgreatwithlightsandsmokeagain

I'm always down with smoke and lights in tunnels. SFNE did a nice job with Superman.

My request is not to use smog machines.

LED lights are nice. They might attract fewer bugs (free snacks for riders!) than more powerful lights.

Looking forward to a return trip to CP for Steel Vengeance.

Maverick still has the lights in place from the few weeks they were used when it opened...wouldn't mind those coming back as well.

What ever happened to the lighting effects and explosion sounds for the tunnel under the station? Is this what you're talking about? I would expect SF ditching these effects, but not CF.

What ever happened to the lighting effects and explosion sounds for the tunnel under the station? Is this what you're talking about? I would expect SF ditching these effects, but not CF.

Turns out, if you put a bunch of LSMs in an enclosed space it wreaks havoc on electronics not meant to be exposed to a magnetic environment The closed-circuit cameras/monitors in the tunnel still gray out anytime a train is launched.

I'd take a one season lights plug-in for the anniversary, and if HalloWeekends is anything to go by, there must be fog machines galore somewhere in storage.

I'm about a week late to this thread but had no idea it was 1 mile from the front gate to the back of the park! I knew it was a hike but dang. Now that I have an Apple Watch I'll be able to map my steps this year and see how much walking I do at CP and other parks. That also means I can get more chocolate shakes from Johnny Rockets since I'll see how awesome at walking I am, right? Hmm...

I'm dying at the Cedar Downs crotch shot of me and Bert - those were some good times, thanks for posting those!! And I vividly remember getting your late night text saying a drunk dude told Bill he was older the Blue Streak

...I'm dying at the Cedar Downs crotch shot of me and Bert - those were some good times, thanks for posting those!! And I vividly remember getting your late night text saying a drunk dude told Bill he was older the Blue Streak

But in truth, I am older than Blue Streak! But not as rough and pain-inducing like it was. I'm much gentler.

I'm dying at the Cedar Downs crotch shot of me and Bert - those were some good times, thanks for posting those!!

Your MOM took that pic too. . she perfectly framed crotch with the hand hold. . LOL

Turns out, if you put a bunch of LSMs in an enclosed space it wreaks havoc on electronics not meant to be exposed to a magnetic environment The closed-circuit cameras/monitors in the tunnel still gray out anytime a train is launched.

Hah! That's really interesting and kind of a bummer, considering they probably spent a lot of money on the effects and lighting. I really liked them when they were working. Do the LIMs only effect certain types of lighting, as in could this be the reason Mr. Freeze's chaser's haven't been on in forever? Although, that's likely just SF being SF.

Hah! That's really interesting and kind of a bummer, considering they probably spent a lot of money on the effects and lighting. I really liked them when they were working. Do the LIMs only effect certain types of lighting, as in could this be the reason Mr. Freeze's chaser's haven't been on in forever? Although, that's likely just SF being SF.

That's a good quesion with Mr. Freeze, but note Maverick uses LSM's while Mr. Freeze uses LIM's I don't know if LIM's have the same effect as LSM's. I don't know the exact differences but as a comparison Wicked Twister uses LIM's vs. Maverick using LSM's.

Rockin’ Roller Coaster doesn’t have that issue......

I thought that was a cable launch? I've only been on the Paris one but I could have sworn I saw a catch car thing coming down when watching from the final part of the queue.

The magnetic field generated by the LSM and LIM is actually very small but very powerful and doesn't cause problems with electrical devices (If the ride generated a large magnetic field that effected devices in the same room as the launch system you wouldn't be able to use your cellphone or credit cards after the ride). The problem is with the current draw (amp draw).

A basic law of electricity is that the load gets what the load demands. When you have a large load on an electrical system it will pull as much power as it needs which includes pulling from other devices on the same circuit. A perfect small scale example is when the air conditioner kicks on in your house or apartment the lights dim slightly.

Rides that have a LIM or LSM launch system do the same thing but on a much grander scale. The light dimming "effect" on Mr. Freeze at SFSTL is not an effect. It is the result of the power draw of the launch system. This drop in power thousands of times a day takes its toll on sensitive equipment such as computers and other devices. For example, when the halogen lights in the station of Mr. Freeze get older rather than going dim during launch they go out instead.

Awesome info! Thanks!