TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Excuse my lack of knowledge but has b&m ever made a family invert?

Yes, they have made at least one already in China and there's another one about to open or already open.

They have a slightly smaller version of normal B&M track with 2 seats/row. Basically B&Ms version of Vekoma's junior inverts.

EDIT: ^ got sniped

From the Cedar Point Blog

Here are the rides on the Early Entry list with the usual disclaimer: rides subject to change based on maintenance, weather or other circumstances.

Steel Vengeance

GateKeeper

Maverick

Millennium Force

Valravn

Skyhawk

Ocean Motion

Midway Carousel

Cedar Downs Racing Derby

Cadillac Cars

Camp Snoopy

Source: https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/2018-early-entry-rides

Great news!

I expected them to pull something to add Steel Vengeance but they didn't. I'm curious to see what types of lines Valravn gets during Early Entry now. The thought of spending an hour long Early Entry bouncing back and fourth between walk-on front seat Gatekeeper and Valravn rides sounds amazingly fun because I kind of feel like nobody will be riding them. I fully expect everyone to be in Frontier Town or at Millennium Force.

With that lineup, how many of those coasters could be knocked out during early entry assuming average mid-week either early June or late August? My trip this year will probably include two days of early entry. Will get FL plus if necessary but will probably make that a game time decision based on crowds. I think we will try to get all the coasters in first day if possible, and then use the second day for re-rides on the favorites.

I'm glad that Maverick finally has a buddy in the back of the park for early entry. Maverick was always a bit of a gamble during early entry. It's the most likely to not open at 9 am. It really sucks when you run all the way to the back of the park and find it not working. Then you have to walk all the way back to MF. Hopefully SteVe is decently reliable.

The thought of spending an hour long Early Entry bouncing back and fourth between walk-on front seat Gatekeeper and Valravn rides sounds amazingly fun because I kind of feel like nobody will be riding them.

During my visit in 2016 on a cold May morning, Valravn, MF, and Maverick all had issues. Before the park opened I didn't see MF or Valravn cycling, so I knew it was a good day for Gatekeeper. Everyone flocked to Valravn and waited 30 mins for it to open, meanwhile I got 5 rides on Gatekeeper in 30 mins, all in the front or back seat. It's a really good way to start the morning and will be a tempting alternative to running to a likely crowded SteVe.

The only RMC I have a lot of experience with is Outlaw Run. It did have a lot of downtime its first year, but since then has become very reliable. I've seen times when it and Thunderation (SDC's Arrow mine train) are the only coasters running. Other than Lightning Rod, I haven't heard of significant downtime on any other RMCs. Hopefully that will hold true for SteVen too.

As for Gatekeeper, it's a fantastic way to start a day at Cedar Point. It was the first coaster I ran to at rope drop, and I still think it's the best coaster there that doesn't start with M. I keep a list of coasters I've ridden, but I don't rank beyond the top 5. However, since we've got the coaster ranking poll open right now, I actually gave it some thought, and I put Gatekeeper at #12. That's above Raptor and Dragster. It's one I'm really looking forward to riding again this June.

One has to think that convenience will trump the goods in the back for a lot of people. There is a reason we all know to start in the back of the park and work forward

It won't. Gatekeeper is right up front and is a complete ghost town during Early Entry. People aren't stupid. 95% of people looking to rope drop a coaster will likely go to Steel Vengeance or Millennium Force. Well... okay, "some" people are stupid. They'll be the ones who rope drop Dragster and queue up along the fence at 9am but you get the point.

Also, a huge percentage of Early Entry participants are entering from the resort gate anyway since every single person in those resorts gets in early so it's actually incredibly convenient for them to go to Steel Vengeance.

So Cedar Point does Early Entry for an hour every day? KI appears to be 30 minutes. And Carowinds seems to be 30 minutes for Fury 325 & water park on select days in August. KD has a schedule forthcomimg. I couldn't figure out from Dorney's site what their schedule is.

I guess I assumed incorrectly that Early Entry would be every day at every park.

Early entry at Dorney...that's hilarious. Gotta have those lines 5 people long instead of 10.

So no FL plus when I visit there?

You will more likely than not ride everything in the park within three hours, multiple times, including as many rides on Demon Drop as you'd like!

The only negative with Steel Vengeance, I wonder how it will change my morning ritual of riding Maverick non stop until 5 minutes before the park opens, and then heading to Dragster for opening. Two reasons it might have an affect, more people in the back of the park making longer lines, and I don't know how I'll be able to resist getting into the Steel Vengeance line. That was some of the most glorious riding time in the history of riding time.

At least I'll probably have a couple of hours to catch my breath after high-tailing it back there on rope drop.

From the main entrance, it's exactly 1 mile haha. Not too much help from the Marina entrance.

cp.thumb.JPG.5b3c46b07ccfbbcd9bd0df18dcb28c4c.JPG

What's your best mile time?

cppp.thumb.JPG.34f4c6099f5d6bb74835d9e85f9b76e0.JPG

How about .8?

We should totally start a running club now! The Front Gate to Steel Vengeance Challenge!

First we'll practice running the distance from the front gate to Raptor, then to Wicked Twister, Valravn, Rougarou, TTD, Maverick, and slowly build to SV!

We should totally start a running club now! The Front Gate to Steel Vengeance Challenge!

First we'll practice running the distance from the front gate to Raptor, then to Wicked Twister, Valravn, Rougarou, TTD, Maverick, and slowly build to SV!

The degrees of difficulty:

1] I went to the Midway Market Buffet yesterday

2] I had Motel 6 breakfast

3] I closed down Thirsty Pony

I can't run, but I DO walk 4 miles a day.. . no wonder CP didn't wear me out too bad