TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So this is almost remarkable given what happened last weekend but...

- Every single ride is open including Sky Ride and Windseeker. Last week Power Tower, Sky Ride, Dragster, Windseeker, Antique Cars and obviously Dragster were closed.

- Gemini is racing which hasn't happened at all during Halloweekends after the first weekend.

- Magnum and CP Railroad are running their full fleet of trains which hasn't been happening

- Power Tower is running all 4 towers after being entirely closed for staffing almost all of last weekend with not a single tower open

- Additional food trucks seem to have brought in

- Multiple people have seen Tony Clark and other higher ups operating rides today

Considering what a disaster last weekend was and the fact that they just reopened a coaster that requires a ton of staffing to operate, this is a minor miracle. Great job all around!

That enhances my opinion that because the crowds did not show up on Columbus Day weekend the way they were expected, they were anticipating last weekend to be softer than it was. This is purely reactionary regardless of the actual attendance this weekend.

Source: I've done the same thing at my job.

They are. The park is slammed.

One of my friends posted that they were only able to get on three rides today at the Point due to insane crowds.

Kind of unusual to see CCMR with a 45 minute wait and rides like Blue Streak, Iron Dragon, and Corkscrew with waits over an hour. Also, all the haunted houses are an hour or more.

Yeah, park was ridiculously packed, I was there Friday and Saturday morning and left around 1. 30 minutes after park opening, nearly everything had an hour plus wait. When I left, the parking lot was jam packed, and the line to park was backed up all the way back to the intersection near Breakers Express and was using three lanes instead of two.

Here's an article on Cleveland.com about Ouimet leaving the chain, with a few little bits of information about Cedar Point.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/10/outgoing_incoming_cedar_fair_c.html

One thing to note that I hadn't seen anywhere else:

Coming in 2018: An expanded beach boardwalk that will link the park's main parking lot to the beach, Hotel Breakers and Cedar Point Shores.

This is great. I walked that part of the beach a few years ago and it was, um, not in great shape.

^ An interesting article - thanks for posting!

I agree that it will be nice to see the boardwalk revamped on that side. It is a great walk from the resorts if you want to skip large chunks of crowds to get to the front of the park a bit faster. Very scenic too.

Edit - I also want to apologize to everyone with regards to a couple of political remarks that I made as I know that this is not the place to air political views. I should have left well enough alone, but sometimes my passion gets the best of me. My intent was certainly not to start a flame war, but I guess given today's sensitivity on the subject, I should have known better. Again, my apologies - especially to Chuck and the mods for having to clean up the thread.

According to a friend who went in the afternoon, it took him 2 hours to even park. Millennium was 3+ hours. I don't even want to begin to imagine what that looked like.

I would guess it was spilling onto the midway and maybe even past the train crossing. I did hear that Millennium did have waits of six hours its first year. I also won't be surprised if SV gets 4-5+ hour waits on busy days next year

^ Next year would be a definite time to go to CoasterMANIA! on June 1st.

With (probable/possible?) ERT on Steel Vengence. Worth repeating here.

IMG_3991.JPG.e65f45f1f678feacd3ccf39954be0433.JPG

Last shot of SV I took, after CoasterMANIA! weekend. Monday, June 5, 2017.

Here's an article on Cleveland.com about Ouimet leaving the chain, with a few little bits of information about Cedar Point.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/10/outgoing_incoming_cedar_fair_c.html

One thing to note that I hadn't seen anywhere else:

Coming in 2018: An expanded beach boardwalk that will link the park's main parking lot to the beach, Hotel Breakers and Cedar Point Shores.

This is great. I walked that part of the beach a few years ago and it was, um, not in great shape.

I love this quote from Ouimet regarding Fast Lane:

...the revenue from the pass that allows Cedar Point and other parks to continue to build bigger and better rides.

"You have to realize that those people are paying for Steel Vengeance," he said, referencing the massive new roller coaster that is under construction at Cedar Point.

Next time you're FL'ing for Steel Vengeance just smile, wave, and say "you're welcome"

I wonder how much Steel Vengeance has to do with the timing of the boardwalk expansion. I sort of feel like if it weren't for this expansion, passholders would flood the Cedar Point Shores lot trying to get to Steel Vengeance for Early Entry and take up a ton of spots that are really meant for people going to Cedar Point Shores (since there's really no reasonable way to get to the resort gate from the main lot right now) and they're trying to provide people with easy access to the resort gate and Cedar Point Shores from the main lot in-case this becomes an issue.

I don't know that this is the main reason for the boardwalk expansion but I'll bet it's a factor in the timing.

Yeah I would expect Steel Vengeance to have perfectly average capacity. I'm sure they'll have a great crew so with 24 passenger trains I'd assume they'd realistically be able to put through between 1,000 and 1,300 people per hour depending on the hour. The former could be achieved with 90 second dispatch times (even assuming each train has a few empty seats). To achieve the latter you would need to run with about 60 second dispatch times which is expecting a lot with a coaster type that has seatbelts, lap bars and is generally pretty restrictive and will likely have some walks of shame but I don't think it's totally outside the realm of possibility depending on the crew.

It won't be Gatekeeper but it won't be Maverick either. It'll be perfectly average.

I wonder how much Steel Vengeance has to do with the timing of the boardwalk expansion. I sort of feel like if it weren't for this expansion, passholders would flood the Cedar Point Shores lot trying to get to Steel Vengeance for Early Entry and take up a ton of spots that are really meant for people going to Cedar Point Shores (since there's really no reasonable way to get to the resort gate from the main lot right now) and they're trying to provide people with easy access to the resort gate and Cedar Point Shores from the main lot in-case this becomes an issue.

I don't know that this is the main reason for the boardwalk expansion but I'll bet it's a factor in the timing.

As soon as I read about the boardwalk that was my immediate thought as well, and I would think parking in the back would become a disaster as soon as shores opens up for the season (even before that quite frankly). Once Shores opens up I'm curious how they will manage, or, like you said, now they have a boardwalk so it doesn't really matter where they have to end up parking. It'll be interesting for sure. I could also see them limiting parking to the shores parking lot in the early morning and then opening it up later in the day to prevent early entry folk from going back there if they aren't hotel guests. Obviously always allowing hotel guests back there if they say they are hotel guests. They did this when the Shores lot was closed for the weekend of pointfest.