TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The wife and I are getting platinum passes this year through Cedar Point. Through this we will get one visit this year. We are going to go in October. I have been to Cedar Point a bunch of times but never in October. I know to avoid saturday like the plague. My question is should we do Friday or Sunday? I am willing to do the short 6 hour day on friday if it is typically not crowded that day but I would prefer more time on Sunday.

The wife and I are getting platinum passes this year through Cedar Point. Through this we will get one visit this year. We are going to go in October. I have been to Cedar Point a bunch of times but never in October. I know to avoid saturday like the plague. My question is should we do Friday or Sunday? I am willing to do the short 6 hour day on friday if it is typically not crowded that day but I would prefer more time on Sunday.

October Fridays are typically very low crowds BUT it's also limited ride selection. Even some coasters will be closed due to staffing(check the website). If you want to focus on Haunts Friday is your choice. Sunday most if not all rides will be operating but some Haunts will be closed. I guess it depends on if you'd rather experience rides or haunts the most for your October visit. Also, even though Columbus Day weekend Sunday has extended hours, avoid it like the plague unless you plan on Fastlane Plus.

Another decision factor is if you have a Platinum Pass and you're renewing you get a free Fastlane Plus that can be used on Friday or Sunday. So more time, plus a free Fastlane Plus make Sunday your day.

We would be more focused on the big rides. As long as all the main attractions are open I am cool with other rides being closed. We would probably do a haunt or two if there were low crowds and there on Friday.

October Fridays are typically very low crowds BUT it's also limited ride selection. Even some coasters will be closed due to staffing(check the website). If you want to focus on Haunts Friday is your choice. Sunday most if not all rides will be operating but some Haunts will be closed. I guess it depends on if you'd rather experience rides or haunts the most for your October visit. Also, even though Columbus Day weekend Sunday has extended hours, avoid it like the plague unless you plan on Fastlane Plus.

Another decision factor is if you have a Platinum Pass and you're renewing you get a free Fastlane Plus that can be used on Friday or Sunday. So more time, plus a free Fastlane Plus make Sunday your day.

I would imagine most of the major ones would be open on Friday nights (rides like CCMR, Corkscrew, Blue Streak, and Iron Dragon could be closed)

We would be more focused on the big rides. As long as all the main attractions are open I am cool with other rides being closed. We would probably do a haunt or two if there were low crowds and there on Friday.

It depends on your definition of "major". Last year Rougarou, Corkscrew, Gemini and Mine Ride were closed. Rougarou and Gemini would be enough for me to pick Sunday instead. This was the full list of closed rides on Friday last year. Sky Ride was actually closed for the entire Halloween event due to staffing so that one wasn't limited to Fridays. I believe the other rides were all open on Saturday and Sunday.

Antique Cars

Camp Snoopy

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad

Corkscrew

Gemini

Giant Wheel

Rougarou

Sky Ride

Super Himalaya

Troika

Witches' Wheel

DO NOT SKIP CEDAR DOWNS.

it's awesome.

(sheesh . . I'm with "Cedar Downs" at CP, like some are w/ the Pierogis at Knoebel's . . or others are with skyrides/flumes. )

Edited by bert425

Knoebels has the best peroxides. If you're going to be hurt at an amusement park, Knoebels is the best one to be hurt at. Their peroxides will make sure you don't get an infection.

wow.. that autocorrect didn't even show up when I posted. . . weird.

went back and fixed.

DO NOT SKIP CEDAR DOWNS.

it's awesome.

(sheesh . . I'm with "Cedar Downs" at CP, like some are w/ the Pierogis at Knoebel's . . or others are with skyrides/flumes. )

I have been on it and I enjoy it but i am after the big coasters on the short trip. I will ride more next year.

DO NOT SKIP CEDAR DOWNS.

it's awesome.

I have been on it and I enjoy it but i am after the big coasters on the short trip. I will ride more next year.

Cedar Downs is awesome. We had a storm blow over one evening, so basically the only ride open was Cedar Downs, it was so much fun. I was shocked that there were no seatbelts!

I mean that picture's pretty cool and all but come on, it's just a tad bit deceiving. I was in like the 90% coverage zone it didn't get anywhere near that dark, and I'm pretty sure Sandusky was even further from the path of totality than we were.

The whole thing was sort of underwhelming, but cool picture anyways I guess.

The image had to be exposed for the sun's lighting, which is very bright (in case your eyes haven't told you yet). It's dark because the camera had to be stopped down quite a bit and the shutter set to very fast in order to get the correct exposure because of the sun. On a normal afternoon (with the sun elsewhere outside the frame) that photo would have been likely pitch black at those settings because they just wouldn't allow enough light into the camera for a properly exposed (lit) image.

Think of the eclipses glasses you (hopefully) wore. Everything but the sun was pitch black because a ton of light had to be stopped in order to bring the sun to a safe viewing level, meaning that light from the rest of the world, obviously nowhere near as bright as the sun, was long filtered out.

does anyone know what rides will be open for halloweekends?

What do you mean? Generally all rides except for the water rides run on Saturday and Sunday. Last year they closed Sky Ride for staffing but that's it.

The Friday night ride list is not out yet but I posted last year's on the last page. It'll probably be the same or at least very similar.

Think of the eclipses glasses you (hopefully) wore. Everything but the sun was pitch black because a ton of light had to be stopped in order to bring the sun to a safe viewing level, meaning that light from the rest of the world, obviously nowhere near as bright as the sun, was long filtered out.

My favorite piece of advice being circulated by the media was to not drive while wearing eclipse glasses.