TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

There's absolutely nothing new for us at Cedar Point obviously but we couldn't resist popping in for a few rides. We figure at minimum we'll be happy with a ride on Millennium Force, Gatekeeper and Maverick and anything else is gravy.

At least there will be something new for you too SEE. Cannot argue with the rest of your logic if your close and passing by, an MF or Maverick ride never disappoint. But you don't have to lie to us.........we know your going for the Sky Ride.

Okay yeah, there's approximately a 100% chance we'll ride Sky Ride if it's operating.

^ Ive heard that as well. Still, we wouldn't mind more updated pictures, if you have the time to snap a few.

Unfortunately, my phone's camera sucks BIG TIME! If I get any pictures I feel are worth sharing, I'll definitely do so, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

I'm actually planning on visiting HW for the first time this weekend too, your acclaim of it makes me more excited!

Also, I don't think there are any shed spoilers, but when you finally get to ride it, pop on over to the KI thread and look at my Coasterstock report. I have a picture of the mythical tall thing from the Haunt maze Blackout that you didn't see (and didn't believe me). Now there's proof

I LOVE Holiday World! The Voyage is truly an experience on a roller coaster unlike any other I've been on - I've never ridden a bull, but I would imagine it's not too dissimilar to that, and I ride it in much the same fashion, one hand holding on, and one in the air! - and the rest of their coasters are all above average to great! The entire park's atmosphere is FANTASTIC, and if you're at all into water parks, theirs is THE BEST non-dedicated water park there is, bar-none! The water coasters alone are better than most roller coasters out there!

As for the mythical tall thing, I totally believed you about it! I just have no desire to see that hideous beast with my own eyes! Thanks for the warning! I'll definitely look forward to checking out your Coasterstock report though!

And in the enthusiast community I've noticed a good bias towards smaller parks. Dont get me wrong I love em, have a real charm and atmosphere to them but they also offer less. Not that they don't have quality, I mean I'm gunna spend an extra half day to go to Waldameer for RF2, but yeah I don't get the skew toward smaller and dismissal, even bashing, of places like CP. (I get some six flags parks lol) HW and CP had events at the same time and while I wanna visit HW badly, I opted for the point because they have such a vast offering. Seems more worth it to me but that's purely my opinion and to each their own. I had one of the best times ever at Knoebels with TPR, but id also rather go to Hershey ya know?

Edited by JJLehto

Bill - I'm expecting (demanding) a TR of your road trip to all the parks this weekend, especially with KK and HW being brand new to you. It's mandatory, in fact. And yes I am well aware that we'll probably end up waiting close to a year for the actual TR to be completed! No but seriously, TR required.

Meh. I think Holiday World is as over hyped by their staff as it is by their fanboys. I feel like they embrace a "Holier than thou" type of attitude, as have their obsessed fan base

It's ironic you are stating this in the Cedar Point forum. Just a statement

I love both parks, myself.

And in the enthusiast community I've noticed a good bias towards smaller parks. Dont get me wrong I love em, have a real charm and atmosphere to them but they also offer less. Not that they don't have quality, I mean I'm gunna spend an extra half day to go to Waldameer for RF2, but yeah I don't get the skew toward smaller and dismissal, even bashing, of places like CP. (I get some six flags parks lol) HW and CP had events at the same time and while I wanna visit HW badly, I opted for the point because they have such a vast offering. Seems more worth it to me but that's purely my opinion and to each their own. I had one of the best times ever at Knoebels with TPR, but id also rather go to Hershey ya know?

I love both parks and honestly both put on some pretty kickass events. I went to Holiwood Nights 2 years ago (and going back next week!), and I went to Coastermania last year. I had a ton of fun at both events, and I'm pretty content to just keep bouncing between the two as long as I have the means to do so. Thunderbird is leagues better than Gatekeeper, and all 3 of HW's woodies are better than either woodie at CP (though next year I may have a different opinion). What HW has is very good. It's just that CP has about a dozen coasters that HW isn't competing against. Maybe it's just that I've only experienced these two parks through enthusiast events, but I found the service and operations at both to be very high quality, and both are an excellent value for what you'll pay.

Meh. I think Holiday World is as over hyped by their staff as it is by their fanboys. I feel like they embrace a "Holier than thou" type of attitude, as have their obsessed fan base. If you looked at their Facebook posts and comments, you would have thought Firecracker could go toe to toe with Fury 325.

The park is nice I guess, but I just don't get the insane hype. Thunderbird and Raven are fun, but I told Emily that they're still one steel coaster away from being appealing to me. Then she brought up the fact that they don't sell beer or have fast queue systems. That's my girl. I can only pretend to be happy about free parking and sun screen for so long, until I can no longer ignore the type of clientele these free bees attract. The park is three hours from us and we don't even bother with it. Maybe it would be different if we set aside some time to go other than crowded weekends.

Bill, if chugging sugar filled free soda while over hyping every ride in the park is your thing, I think you will enjoy the park. Make sure to take a couple ibuprofen before riding the Voyage. I would personally plan for more time at Cedar Point.

Yes, Haters will hate.

Can't say that I disagree with this really.

While we loved the water park, the lines were extremely long (on a mid-June weekday), so a Fast Pass system just for the water park alone would work wonders. The amusement park was dead, but we literally did the dry side in about an hour and we were ready to leave - mainly because it was like 95 degrees and Michael was done with all rides after we both took a pretty good ass-kicking on Voyage.

And yeah, a cold beer in the 90+ degree sun would have been "heaven"!

Back to CP - I guess that I didn't realize that they no longer had bins on Magnum & Rougarou. They have never had bins on TTD or MF because of the loading/unloading stations & I couldn't recall if they did or didn't on Gatekeeper or Valravn because I always wear zip shorts in the parks to protect my valuables whilst riding.

Back to CP - I guess that I didn't realize that they no longer had bins on Magnum & Rougarou. They have never had bins on TTD or MF because of the loading/unloading stations & I couldn't recall if they did or didn't on Gatekeeper or Valravn because I always wear zip shorts in the parks to protect my valuables whilst riding.

Gatekeeper and Valravn still have bins. I too store everything loose in pockets so I would be more than happy for them to do away with them. I wear supportive underwear to protect my valuables.

Trip report (I have not done one of these before and I am new here so bear with me.) May 24-26, 2017.

We stayed two nights at Hotel Breakers for only a little more than Express Hotel, but it was worth it knowing we could leave any time we wanted to and be back in our room shortly. We originally were going to leave early on the 24th and make it to the park by 4pm with evening tickets. But with our habit of leaving late and it raining there, we decided to use all day tickets on the 26th. There was rain and a lot of construction on I-80/90 so it took longer than we thought and we arrived at the hotel at 9pm. We walked around the grounds playing Pokemon Go. I finally read through the conditions on the Cyber Monday Ticket/Fast Pass that I bought and realized it was a Fast Pass Plus, instead of the Fast Pass, which altered my thinking and then we were not sure to use it on the longer, rainy all day, less crowded Thursday the 25th or the shorter, better weather, more crowded Friday the 26th. We tried to get some good sleep, but we were too nervous between thinking about the weather, which tickets to use and which clothes to wear to make everything secure. I had two pairs of shorts with zipper pockets, but no pants with zipper pockets, so I wore a rain jacket that had a front zipper pocket and my husband had on a hoodie with zipper side pockets.

Thursday, May 25th: We used Ride and Refresh Tickets and just got the to resort entrance when the national anthem was playing at 9am. The security line was longer than the ticket line and it took five minutes to get in. The four coasters that were supposed to be running were Gatekeeper, Maverick, Millennium Force and Valvarn, but only the last two were running in the first hour. We first walked to Maverick, were told it was not running and then rode Millennium Force after a five minute wait. We then rode Valvarn after a five minute wait. We walked towards the front of the park to see if Gatekeeper was running, saw it was not and saw the large crowd waiting since it was now about 9:50am. We walked towards Top Thrill Dragster and they were not testing it and the weather did not give me high hopes. Around 9am we waited about five minutes to ride Rougarou. We decided to walk through an empty Frontiertown and by time got back to Maverick it was open and we waited ten minutes. I sometimes get bad motion sickness and I thought it had to do with my astigmatism and with new contacts, I would be fine. I do not know if it was too many rides in a short time frame or Maverick itself, but I felt bad afterwards, and got depressed thinking I was now too old to ride coasters, the money wasted on this trip and the money wasted on Kings Island ticket/fast pass plus I had bought. We decided to slow down, wait five minutes and ride the CP&LE Railroad in a circle. There was a gift shop with two employees to the right of the railroad station that was open Thursday, but not Friday. We then waited about ten minutes to ride Cedar Creek Mine Ride because only one train was running. We slowed down and looked in every gift shop. We saw them testing Top Thrill Dragster, but unless it was during our break, it and Gemini never ran on Thursday. I think Magnum XL-200 was running, but it was slightly sprinkling and we rode in that weather on our last trip and it hurt with the rain. We got suckered in by the caricature artist, who wanted to practice on us, and ended up buying the picture of my husband as a Pokemon trainer and me as my favorite Pokemon, Dragonair. I believe Corkscrew and Wicked Twister were running, but we rode the former the last time and the later a similar ride at Great America. We waited about ten minutes and rode Gatekeeper, but with a slight sprinkle it hurt. We finally got a drink at the Coca-Cola Freestyle and had we known it was disposable cups, we probably would have gotten drinks sooner. We walked around the Main Arcade and I was so excited to play the six-player X-Men game. We waited about 15 minutes for Blue Streak because they were only running one train. Raptor and Iron Dragon had an hour wait, so we skipped them. So we picked up our caricature around 2pm, ate at Perkins at the hotel and took a nap.

Thursday, May 25th evening: Around 6pm we entered the resort entrance and waited ten minutes for Magnum XL-200 because they were only running one half-full train. We waited ten minutes to ride Iron Dragon. We walked on Windseeker and saw a hat fall to the ground. We walked on Dodgem. We walked on the right front row of Gatekeeper, but now it was misting and my left eye was closed at least half of the ride. We then left by the beach entrance.

Friday, May 26th: Since we had the Fast Pass Plus, we slept in and got to the beach entrance around 10am. We were supposed to get our Fast Pass Plus band at the ticket office before getting our ticket scanned, but there was no one in there and the ticket taker said we could get the band anywhere they are sold. The closest to that entrance is the Gatekeeper gift shop. After ten minutes and two phone calls, the employee's supervisor said we had to go to Guest Relations. So we walked there and waited in a 15 minutes line to talk to an employee, who had to talk to her supervisor. They were not sure why we did not get the passes either place, why we were sent there instead of next door to the giant fast pass booth, but we finally got our bands and we were off. The bands were worth it because Raptor had a 60 minute wait and I think we waited 30 minutes. We walked right on to the front row of Valvarn using the Fast Pass Plus. We waited 20 minutes for Millennium Force using the Fast Pass Plus. Another walk through Frontiertown, but this time everything was open so we looked in every store. We got funnel cake fries in a couple of minutes. Maverick had an hour wait, but due to my experience, the day before we skipped it. We waited about five minutes on Gemini using the Fast Pass Plus because only the red side was running, but they were testing the blue side. We used the Fast Pass Plus for Top Thrill Dragster and waited 20 minutes, but the fast pass was not worth it there because we would have been in the same spot for the back trains waiting in the regular line. We waited five minutes for the Cedar Downs Racing Derby. We used the Fast Pass Plus for Gatekeeper and waited 20 minutes, but again the fast pass was not worth it because we passed maybe ten people using the regular line. Last ride was left side, last row and finally a ride without any sort of rain and got to see my second hat fall off of a ride. It was a lot busier on Friday and all of the food lines looked really long. We left the park about 2pm, walked down the beach, waded into Lake Erie and left for home. We took a different route home and went between two storm systems that had tornado warnings in Indiana.

Gatekeeper and Valravn still have bins.

Not true. Valravn's bins are very small and are only for shoes. GateKeeper's are a little larger but only fit shoes and small items. Both rides require bags, stuffed animals, cups, etc to be placed in a locker at the entrance.

Both rides require bags, stuffed animals, cups, etc to be placed in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo at the entrance.

We were able to place our bag inside the bins at Gatekeeper.

Both rides require bags, stuffed animals, cups, etc to be placed in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo at the entrance.

We were able to place our bag inside the bins at Gatekeeper.

That's only because the greeter didn't catch you, though. They are supposed to stop anyone with bags, as per the website, and I can say with confidence they stop >80% of the people trying to come in to Gatekeeper (ok I made up that number but you get the point). If you happen to get by and you are ready to load there is really no other choice, but that is not what the bins are meant for.

Never understood why people have to drag all this stuff around the Park. If you win a stuffed animal take it to the car. Souvenir cups are a joke. Never once have paid for a locker or had to argue with ride opps about what we can bring on a ride.

People bemoan that Holiday World is losing its original charm and then complain that they don't sell alcohol or fastpasses. Interesting...

To be fair, I don't recall Prozach or myself complaining about the park losing it's charm and then complaining about not having Fast Passes or alcohol. I see after reading several other posts where you are coming from though.

Don't get me wrong...I certainly don't dislike the park by any means. I love it that a family-owned amusement park can continue to add world class rides (belly up to the bar, so to speak) without the corporate "flash & feel" of the bigger parks out there. And in my opinion, HW probably has one of the (if not THE) best water park in the country.

My post was merely a "boy, it would be great if..." type of observation. I liked the park (despite not "feeling the love" with regards to Voyage and Legend), so no hating going on here.

Now back to our regularly scheduled CP park discussion!

Edited by Philrad71

Yeah I'm a minimalist traveler, dont carry things around either but I was turned off by US and their "put everything in a box for almost every ride and there's workers and metal detectors in line so dont even try" and was afraid this was becoming common place. It seems that for CP long as its a zipper pocket and you have the bare essentials it'll be fine. I just was worried that it was gunna be mandatory pay for boxes, which honestly I'd imagine most parks will end up at eventually.

if I didn't need my phone for pics, I'd likely just be running around with a hat/sunglasses.

luckily Bill and I are at Breakers, so either we'll pay for a lock/box (Bill is gonna have a souvenir cup), or we'll just got back to the room quite a bit.

I'm fine doing either one

Wow! Didn't mean to stir up so much controversy by comparing Cedar Point and Holiday World! Both parks are great, and in my opinion, both parks are very different, so it's not really something I think to directly "compare" to each other. Both do what they do very well, in their targeted areas of focus, and I think other than forcing enthusiasts to choose which event to go to every year, there isn't really much overlap. CP doesn't really "do" woodies, which is what HW is all about, and even with CP Shores, I don't think their water park looks like it'll sniff HW's. CP is still my favorite amusement park to go to, as much as I love HW, so don't mistake me for a HW "fanboy", because I certainly am not. Nor am I a CP "fanboy. I'm just a regular man, with eyes, and a brain, who can see and appreciate each park for its individual strengths!

SO, I went to Cedar Point yesterday! It was a pretty nice day at The Point, though there were a ton of school groups, and it was more crowded than when I typically go. However when I typically go is Tuesday-Thursday in May and early June before schools are out, and rarely on weekends, and almost never in the Summer. So my idea of "more crowded" and most people's are probably different. I think the longest line I waited in yesterday was maybe an hour, for both Maverick and Millennium Force! lol I only waited about a half hour for Valravn. Most of the other coasters were shorter waits, except for GateKeeper which was longer than a half-hour, because it was the first ride of the day. However, that wasn't my choice, as I wouldn't choose that if it was...

I took my third born child, a son, and an 8 year old! He just barely was 52 inches, so he was constantly measured at all of the rides with that height restriction, but passed of course. He had a great time, and proved to be quite a coaster freak, and daring! After taking my older two kids separately last year, and having them both bail on TTD, he was bold, and rode it without any fear! In the end, that ended up being his favorite coaster as well! So props to him! He also kept me hopping... Whenever I wanted to slow things down, eat, and just relax, he kept pushing for more coasters. So, it looks like I've raised him right!

I enjoyed Brew & BBQ for the second year in a row, and the Texas Brisket was particularly excellent! Since I was sharing the food with my son, I trended more to the food side, and less to the beer side this year, but that was fine. As it was, I still got plenty of both! I did decide that riding Maverick while stuffed with beer and BBQ may NOT be the best move, however... I had to take a ride time-out after that! While in Frontier Town, I definitely enjoyed checking out RMC Streak, though I can't say that the view was anything different than is already readily available in this thread, or elsewhere on the internet. So if you'll forgive me, I'll pass on uploading any of my pictures from my "meh" camera. Let me just say though, pictures do NOT do it justice... It is SO massive, and will really be taking the whole RMC concept to another level, whenever it's completed!

Oh, and coasterbill, you will be happy to know that my son was INSISTENT on riding the Sky Ride, even though I suggested that the line was "too long"! So, we went ahead and did that, and he enjoyed the ride! (And it really wasn't that long of a wait!)

I'm not sure if I'm going back to CP this year, but I'll be getting a Platinum Pass again next year, for RMC Streak's debut, and will be there a ton! The park looked nice though, and if I go again, will be sure to check out Melt! The new Resort Entrance looked great as well, and people were enjoying what appeared to be a soft open of Cedar Point Shores yesterday. I might actually go back there next year too, and check out those new drop slides! Bringing this full circle though, I have to say... They're still no Wildebeest or Mammoth!