TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

We Stayed at the Breakers and loved it. We had the perfect room IMO. It was a Lakeside View, 2nd floor, queen bed with sleeper sofa room in the main (old) building. It was almost a suite. Very clean and comfy. The room was huge and shaped sort of like a key hole. 2 tv's, one in the bed room and one in the sitting room area. Bonus, it was at on one of the round ends of the building. Thus, the bed was actually in a circular part of the room and had 4 nice picture windows in the room. When making reservations, check out the rooms by shape and type. They have the room layouts on the page where you book what type of room you want. The cost was almost the same as a standard room.

I'm also going to Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom. I spent a lot of time reading guest reviews hotels in the Sandusky area. I decided to give Hotel Breakers a try because you can leave your car in the parking lot it's walking distance and the conveniencent thing is if I get tired from riding I can walk straight back to the hotel and take a nap for a few hours then go back out to the park again I've always wanted to do something like this and I'm really looking forward to my first time at Hotel Breakers.

Somebody posted a picture on Facebook of a new beer brewed for cedarpoint called "iron horse". I went back to grab the picture, and it's now gone. Perhaps this could possibly be a tease for the name of mean streak 2.0?

Maybe this will give you some clarify.

It's referring to the CL&LE RR

I've always stayed at the Breakers OR the Breaker's Express right off the peninsula. Absolutely worth it in my opinion. You just can't beat being right there. Wake up, walk right over, that easy. If you need to duck in the hotel, it's right there, and the atmosphere of staying on the peninsula is awesome. 4 nights will be way more than plenty!

I have not been in the new rooms, but I always had positive experiences with the Breakers.

At the park today. Lines aren't terrible. Lots of schools. I wish they announced when schools were going to be here. They don't always. Even with tons of school kids the longest wait according to the app is only 30 minutes. Hoping the schools leave around 6. Does anyone know what time they leave?

Saw this in my Instagram feed this morning... Looks like there will be an overbanked turn or possible third inversion in the structure just underneath the lift.

How in the heck do they do they maneuver the machinery around and inside to construct inside the structure?!?! I find roller coaster construction very fascinating and RMC baffles me with this coaster remodeling.

Ok, so I hate posting something like this but I had a really terrible experience at CP on Sunday. My boyfriend and I drove down from NY to go to the park for the day on Sunday. I've been to CP easily 10+ times since I've been a child (31 now) and was taking my boyfriend for his first time ever. The trip was going great, minimal lines, decent weather until we decided to grab lunch and watch a little bit of the hockey game at Chickie & Pete's.

We showed up around 3:30pm and it wasn't overly busy, we grabbed 2 seats at the bar, also at the bar was a young couple and 2 older gentlemen (mid-late 40s) at the opposite end of the bar. Bartender was really friendly, one TV was set to the game the other was on Sportscenter, I asked him to turn the other one to hockey too at our end of the bar, he obliged. We then grabbed a couple beers and ordered an app right away. I came back from the restroom and when I sat down, I put my arm around my boyfriend's shoulder, the older gentlemen at the far end of the bar almost immediately made the comment to the bartender "Queers like hockey? Who knew?". The bartender laughed and said "Guess so". I was completely caught off guard by this.

I understand people have their own beliefs and that's cool with me, strangers can say whatever they like, it doesn't bother me. What did bother me was the bartender engaging in the conversation with him. I ignored it and we were almost done eating, when again the same gentlemen at the bar said "of course fags would like a Canadian team" after he saw my Ottawa Sens hat. The bartender, again, laughed. I asked for the bill right away and we paid and left. My boyfriend was fairly upset by the comments and kind of got self-conscious and afterwards felt like everyone was staring at us in the park. We ended up leaving around 5pm to head home because he wasn't feeling it anymore.

When we returned home I shot off an email via the link on the CP site, and mailed the same letter as well. I also followed up with a phone call today and was unable to reach anyone. Am I overreacting to this? I thought I'd hear back from CP fairly quickly but haven't heard anything. Anyone else ever had to reach out to CP's guest relations for an incident before? What channel did you use to contact them? Thanks!

^^^ If that guy at the bar said something to the same effect about fat people, and the bartender laughed and agreed,

I am sure there would be repercussions.

You are not over reacting. I would of called them both a-holes myself, as I left. Or something to that effect, to make a point,

that the words "queer" and "fag" are still used negatively, especially by straight people. And nowadays, they believe they

can get away with it even more.

Rant over. But still, I would have shot right back with something to shut that imbecile at the bar, down.

And if it caused him to get angrier...well that's his problem.

Ok, so I hate posting something like this but I had a really terrible experience at CP on Sunday. My boyfriend and I drove down from NY to go to the park for the day on Sunday. I've been to CP easily 10+ times since I've been a child (31 now) and was taking my boyfriend for his first time ever. The trip was going great, minimal lines, decent weather until we decided to grab lunch and watch a little bit of the hockey game at Chickie & Pete's.

We showed up around 3:30pm and it wasn't overly busy, we grabbed 2 seats at the bar, also at the bar was a young couple and 2 older gentlemen (mid-late 40s) at the opposite end of the bar. Bartender was really friendly, one TV was set to the game the other was on Sportscenter, I asked him to turn the other one to hockey too at our end of the bar, he obliged. We then grabbed a couple beers and ordered an app right away. I came back from the restroom and when I sat down, I put my arm around my boyfriend's shoulder, the older gentlemen at the far end of the bar almost immediately made the comment to the bartender "Queers like hockey? Who knew?". The bartender laughed and said "Guess so". I was completely caught off guard by this.

I understand people have their own beliefs and that's cool with me, strangers can say whatever they like, it doesn't bother me. What did bother me was the bartender engaging in the conversation with him. I ignored it and we were almost done eating, when again the same gentlemen at the bar said "of course fags would like a Canadian team" after he saw my Ottawa Sens hat. The bartender, again, laughed. I asked for the bill right away and we paid and left. My boyfriend was fairly upset by the comments and kind of got self-conscious and afterwards felt like everyone was staring at us in the park. We ended up leaving around 5pm to head home because he wasn't feeling it anymore.

When we returned home I shot off an email via the link on the CP site, and mailed the same letter as well. I also followed up with a phone call today and was unable to reach anyone. Am I overreacting to this? I thought I'd hear back from CP fairly quickly but haven't heard anything. Anyone else ever had to reach out to CP's guest relations for an incident before? What channel did you use to contact them? Thanks!

Overreacting? in my opinion maybe just a little bit.

Living in Texas, I deal with idiots like that guy all the time... so maybe I'm just used to it? I would have absolutely said something to the man.

and would have made it clear to the Bartender that his agreement was inappropriate and made you feel unwelcome.

The time to have said something, in my opinion only, is when it was actually happening, and to ensure the Bartender knew you were uncomfortable with his handling of the situation.

But you do have a valid point to make to CP that it was not appropriate for the bartender to "laugh and agree". . . not sure what they will respond with, but likely you will get a response along the lines that they strive to make all feel welcome, and they are sorry for the situation.

I'm sorry you felt singled out.

hugs.

bert

^^^^ What a truly classy individual. It doesn't really sound to me like you overreacted to me. It's hard to say I would have spoken up because I'm not a very confrontational person, but I have a feeling if the guy had no qualms saying that stuff aloud, he would have ended up saying something to me because at the very least I would have looked at him like the douchebag he is. As for the waiter, I get that it may be easier just to go along, but that wasn't very professional.

Edited by DavidB

Antiquated machoism in 2017, sad. The bartender was way out of line IMO. He could've just grinned and it wouldn't have seemed as bad, but actually verbally concurring with the homophobic comments is completely unprofessional.

The bartender is representing Cedar Point, and that type of person does not belong in a park that's supposed to be helping everyone have the best day of their year.

I hope the take action on this. As someone who is from Ohio, I hate that you had to feel like you couldn't be yourself at the park. You should be able to be yourself in all states/bars/public places. Sorry those awful people cut your day short.

I'm not going too far into this but I will just say that without being there, this is tough for any of us to really judge the situation. Being in a service position myself I can totally get where this bartender is coming from. My kneejerk reaction was that he was giving a very passive response so as not to cause any issue and not further the conversation either. If the individual you are speaking of was belligerent in any way giving a quick laugh would likely be my response as well, and likely the best response. If he calls out his customer (after all, let's not forget that the other gentleman was his customer as well) then we could end up with this situation escalating further.

TL:DR I don't think being mad at the bartender is entirely fair. He wasn't the one who made the comment and who knows, like many people, his way of avoiding/diffusing the situation could have been a nervous laugh. Again, none of us were there so it's purely speculation.

Hopefully the Sens have something more for the Pens tonight. I can't bear seeing Crosby's face any longer this year...

TL:DR I don't think being mad at the bartender is entirely fair. He wasn't the one who made the comment and who knows, like many people, his way of avoiding/diffusing the situation could have been a nervous laugh. Again, none of us were there so it's purely speculation.

Something as simple as "sorry, but we welcome everybody here" could have gone a long way to help, but even if the bartender wanted to avoid confrontation for himself at all costs, it doesn't sound like he did anything to stick up for equally-valued guests. He also blew a chance to apologize personally, which could have been done quietly and included a promise to notify the office about what happened so that management could help make it right.

Instead, two guests ended up leaving the park early & uncomfortable, and now we know what happened on a popular park forum. This might not make the news, but it's surely not what Cedar Point wants. If a park statement were to read, "We don't think being mad at our bartender is entirely fair," we'd all be mad.

Situations like this may also call into question what protocol and/or ethical responsibilities employees have if they notice discrimination or bullying. It seems like that should be an important element of employee training for sustaining a quality standard of in-park culture.

At the park today. Lines aren't terrible. Lots of schools. I wish they announced when schools were going to be here. They don't always. Even with tons of school kids the longest wait according to the app is only 30 minutes. Hoping the schools leave around 6. Does anyone know what time they leave?

Many parks have education days in late April and during May on weekdays. Some days have more show up than others. It's been like that for years.

I feel like you overreacted a bit. Then again, I couldn't care less what some guy at a bar says about me. I probably would have laughed and agreed with whatever was said. Maybe even added to it a bit. Ignorance isn't going to be solved by confrontation, that usually just makes it worse. Look at all the ignorant people rioting because they don't agree with the president. It's not solving anything and just makes them look hysterical.

Ignorance isn't going to be solved by confrontation, that usually just makes it worse.

Ignorance is DEFINITELY not going to be solved with "haha guess so" remarks from the bartender... Maybe some people can't just laugh it off so easily. It sucks to feel criticized and made fun of, especially in public. Have some empathy

Look at all the ignorant people rioting because they don't agree with the president. It's not solving anything and just makes them look hysterical.

Bringing up politics in a theme park forum is distasteful.

Edited by chickenbowl