TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Metal detectors to enter the park >>> metal detectors in queue lines

Metal detectors at park entrances and metal detectors at ride entrances are both there for entirely different and unrelated purposes and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

People want something to bitch about, especially when it's any kind of inconvenience. Ironically, these are also the same people who would point the finger a Cedar Fair when an incident does happen and blame them for not having metal detectors in place.

I love these strawmen. So good.

Personally, I need to just accept that increasingly I'll have to leave the US to get the kind of experience I want at a theme/amusement park if I want to stay in the hobby. Everyone here is too damn spooked by the barrage of scare tactic news to think rationally.

Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe."

CP is already trying to keep their guests safe. They have security. Metal detectors don't increase security; they just increase its visibility. This is a CYA move, plain and simple. They're avoiding lawsuits, not incidents.

A million signs, a big ol' fence, a warning from the ride ops that loose articles should be left with a non-rider, a dropped phone, and one stupid decision later, the park comes under fire for being unsafe.

People will complain, whine, and grovel to every lawyer in the world if they get so much as a nightmare about getting a paper cut at an amusement park.

Yes. THIS is why they're getting metal detectors. Because people are so stupid they can't tell what is actually making them safer. Because every time our freedom is eroded in the name of security, people just say, "well, you know, that's how the world is" and the terrorists score another victory.

Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe."

CP is already trying to keep their guests safe. They have security. Metal detectors don't increase security; they just increase its visibility. This is a CYA move, plain and simple. They're avoiding lawsuits, not incidents.

A million signs, a big ol' fence, a warning from the ride ops that loose articles should be left with a non-rider, a dropped phone, and one stupid decision later, the park comes under fire for being unsafe.

People will complain, whine, and grovel to every lawyer in the world if they get so much as a nightmare about getting a paper cut at an amusement park.

Yes. THIS is why they're getting metal detectors. Because people are so stupid they can't tell what is actually making them safer. Because every time our freedom is eroded in the name of security, people just say, "well, you know, that's how the world is" and the terrorists score another victory.

This is exactly right

Metal detectors at park entrances and metal detectors at ride entrances are both there for entirely different and unrelated purposes and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I have never even seen or heard about metal detectors at queue lines. What are the for?

I have never even seen or heard about metal detectors at queue lines. What are the for?

To prevent guests from taking loose articles on rides, which could possibly harm other guests or damage the ride. As far as I know it's only at USF.

^ Well that will come in handy when Dueling Streak Dragons (or is it going to be Dahhhhling Streak Dragons?) opens...

Get the nets up around the loops ready to pair up with the ride entrance metal detectors & full body cavity inspection before riders get to ride. Then someone will take a cell phone to the head underneath TTD and CP will get sued for billions and CP will close forever and ever.

The End.

^ Well that will come in handy when Dueling Streak Dragons (or is it going to be Dahhhhling Streak Dragons?) opens...

Get the nets up around the loops ready to pair up with the ride entrance metal detectors & full body cavity inspection before riders get to ride. Then someone will take a cell phone to the head underneath TTD and CP will get sued for billions and CP will close forever and ever.

The End.

Does anyone elses brain hurt after reading this?

^ LOL....you know I was being the cynical devil that I am, Guy!

Sometimes you just have to post the most non-sensical, ridiculous sh%t that you can think of just to ease the Saturday night evening mood...IE: before the next 20 pages of anti and pro metal detector discussions start.

Oh well, even the anti and pro metal detector discussions might be better than reading through the last few pages in the Kings Dominion or Darien Lake threads.

Get the nets up around the loops ready to pair up with the ride entrance metal detectors & full body cavity inspection before riders get to ride.

Teeheehee Thank you. I needed a good smile and laugh.

Seems like Coasterman missed the memo. . . So, for those who have forgotten:

I am just going to post this again as it would appear there are more stupid people in the world that we didn't get a chance to filter out. (Don't worry, they are gone now...)

Ok so I should just make one thing pretty clear here..

ANYONE WHO POSTS A CONSTRUCTION PHOTO OF MEAN STREAK, REGARDLESS IF IT IS YOUR PHOTO OR NOT, WILL BE BANNED FROM TPR FOREVER.

Is that clear?

Good.

The only exception to this would be if Cedar Point themselves releases official construction photos or if someone from Cedar Point takes you to the construction site and makes it VERY CLEAR TO EVERYONE that it is ok to take said photo.

Looks like a great time to bring this up again.

I love it was taken with such a high focal lens so all the coasters will appear to be their actual height relative to each other. There's no worry about coasters that are closer appearing larger, so its really a great pic to compare the heights of everything in the park. Also, its just plain gorgeous. The only think I can't figure out is what angle this was taken at. The fact that its all silhouettes and also that the curvature of the earth cuts out the short rides makes it hard to tell.

Edited by coasterkid21

Hello there, I'm a bit of a newbie user and I have some questions about the park as I'm doing a trip with a group of friends this summer. I've been out of the loop as far as coasters and attractions go, minus what coasters are and are not there anymore. I'm pretty sure this year there is an upgrade to the water park that is right next to the park, and I think that there is an update to Mean Streak, but I'm not certain. I have a few questions about the park, and it'd be wonderful if any of you guys would be able to answer me. These questions are more for the 'planning' phase if anything, so they have more to do with trip planning and such.

1. Does the water park require a separate entrance fee?

2. Are there any good discounts that run throughout the year? This can be online promo codes or just coupons that are placed in fast food buildings.

3. Is two days enough to do everything in the park? Our intentions are to do this trip on a Monday and a Tuesday (with drive days being Sunday and Wednesday)

4. As for hotels, how is the Echo Lodge North Sandusky? Its right outside of the park, and if memory serves me well the area just outside the park didn't appear too bad.

5. Are there any good places to eat in or outside the park. I'm going on the assumption that Cedar Point food is the same as Kings Dominion food as they have the same parent company.

Thats all I'd like to ask for now. I may have questions closer to when I actually go on the trip.

I looked at the alignment of Power Tower and Wicked Twister. If you open a map and draw a line from Power Tower and across Wicked Twister right next to the forward spike and then continue dragging that line, it ends up hitting land just west of Vermillion, OH, about 15 miles away.

That's one crazy shot of the point, thanks for posting!

It took me a while to figure out the orientation because MF's lift hill is viewed straight-on and gets tangled up with Valravn's lift.

If there's a more impressive roller coaster skyline anywhere else on our planet, I'd like to see it.

I looked at the alignment of Power Tower and Wicked Twister. If you open a map and draw a line from Power Tower and across Wicked Twister right next to the forward spike and then continue dragging that line, it ends up hitting land just west of Vermillion, OH, about 15 miles away.

Correct. I ended up at the same location by looking at the angle of MF's lifthill and first drop (since the photo is taken dead-on MF) and I also googled the sunset angle for Sandusky.

Hello there, I'm a bit of a newbie user and I have some questions about the park as I'm doing a trip with a group of friends this summer. I've been out of the loop as far as coasters and attractions go, minus what coasters are and are not there anymore. I'm pretty sure this year there is an upgrade to the water park that is right next to the park, and I think that there is an update to Mean Streak, but I'm not certain. I have a few questions about the park, and it'd be wonderful if any of you guys would be able to answer me. These questions are more for the 'planning' phase if anything, so they have more to do with trip planning and such.

2. Are there any good discounts that run throughout the year? This can be online promo codes or just coupons that are placed in fast food buildings.

3. Is two days enough to do everything in the park? Our intentions are to do this trip on a Monday and a Tuesday (with drive days being Sunday and Wednesday)

4. As for hotels, how is the Echo Lodge North Sandusky? Its right outside of the park, and if memory serves me well the area just outside the park didn't appear too bad.

5. Are there any good places to eat in or outside the park. I'm going on the assumption that Cedar Point food is the same as Kings Dominion food as they have the same parent company.

Thats all I'd like to ask for now. I may have questions closer to when I actually go on the trip.

1.Yes it is.

2. Look on their website and download their App. Sometimes at the park they will have special offers on the App.

3. It depends when you are going. In May or June in the week it's very doable. If you want to do everything the park has to offer including the new Cedar Point Shores water park I would say 3 days max. That is taking your time and seeing all the shows as well. Also if you buy Fast Lane then you could do the rides in one days time.

4. That hotel isnt bad but Cedar Point Express is BRAND new just remodeled and rooms are around $80 a night. Plus if you stay at a Cedar Point hotel you get early entry as well along with discounted tickets. If you really want to spend a it more Hotel Breakers is AMAZING at the park plus you can just walk to your room at the end of the night.

5. There are some great pizza places in town ones called Chet and Matt's. If you are looking for a great burger and or want to drink right by Cedar Point there is a place called Thirsty Pony. Inside the park you might want to give Melt a try as they have really good food or Chickie's & Pete's!

I hope that helped you out some.

^Sorry for the double post. Not sure what happen.

1. Yes it is.

2. Look on their website and download their App. Sometimes at the park they will have special offers on the App.

3. It depends when you are going. In May or June in the week it's very doable. If you want to do everything the park has to offer including the new Cedar Point Shores water park I would say 3 days max. That is taking your time and seeing all the shows as well. Also if you buy Fast Lane then you could do the rides in one days time.

4. That hotel isn't bad but Cedar Point Express is BRAND new just remodeled and rooms are around $80 a night. Plus if you stay at a Cedar Point hotel you get early entry as well along with discounted tickets. If you really want to spend a it more Hotel Breakers is AMAZING at the park plus you can just walk to your room at the end of the night.

5. There are some great pizza places in town ones called Chet and Matt's. If you are looking for a great burger and or want to drink right by Cedar Point there is a place called Thirsty Pony. Inside the park you might want to give Melt a try as they have really good food or Chickie's & Pete's!

I hope that helped you out some.

The photo is absolutely breathtaking.

I would also like to say that from May 15th to the 17th, I'll be working at Cedar Point to help out the park with staffing! Even though it's a few days, I'm really excited for it!