SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

P. 40: Sesame Street Parade, Taumata Racer & more in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Enka rocks

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

Postby apollo210 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at SeaWorld San Antonio, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

August 22nd, 2006 - Journey to Atlantis announced!

February 6th, 2007 - Journey to Atlantis construction update

September 23rd, 2010 - Sesame Street Bay of Play announced!

February 11th, 2011 - Sesame Street Bay of Play details revealed
May 23rd, 2011 - Aquatica San Antonio announced!
May 24th, 2011 - More details about Aquatica San Antonio revealed
May 27th, 2011 - Aquatica San Antonio key visual released
June 27th, 2011 - A look at the now-defunct Texas Splashdown
December 7th, 2011 - Aquatica San Antonio construction update

February 10th, 2012 - Aquatica San Antonio park map released
February 11th, 2012 - Brian Morrow talks about Aquatica
February 15th, 2012 - A look at Aquatica's beach
February 26th, 2012 - Latest Aquatica San Antonio construction update
March 28th, 2012 - A look inside of Stingray Falls
May 16th, 2012 - Huge Aquatica San Antonio update!

June 17th, 2013 - SeaWorld 50th Anniversary Sea of Surprises announced!

August 15th, 2014- SeaWorld announces expanded killer whale habitats
August 27th, 2014- New Clyde & Seamore show to debut in 2015!

March 6th, 2016 - Discovery Pointe announced
November 9th, 2015 - SeaWorld expansion announced, resorts in the works

September 26, 2016 - Wave Breaker: Rescue Coaster announced for 2017

March 15th, 2017 - Wave Breaker update
September 20th, 2017 - Sesame Street Parade, Taumata Racer & more coming to SeaWorld and Aquatica San Antonio in 2018!

As the rumor for Six Flags Fiesta Texas to get a new coaster, the other San Antonio park is adding one! Journey to Atlantis will be a mack Supersplash water coaster for SWSA! It'll be 100' tall and have a 3:30 duration with 2 turntables.
http://www.rcdb.com/ It should apper on the first page latest update.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this ride as I might go down to San Antonio next year, I hope it'll be a good ride!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 pm.
-Stephen
Coaster Count= 28

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Johnny Upsidedown » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Here is the latest info.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanan ... st=b_ln_hl

SeaWorld San Antonio officials say the giant marine park will add a major ride attraction next year that will be the first of its kind in the United States.

Journey to Atlantis, which is scheduled to open on May 24, 2007, will combine the elements of a traditional roller coaster and water ride.

Park officials say the Journey to Atlantis experience will feature 16-passenger boats that will travel uphill and then spin on a turntable when they reach the first plateau, rotating up to 360 degrees. Riders will get a 100-foot-high view of the Alamo City before being propelled backward down a reverse camelback.

At the crest of the second hill, the boats rotate again before plunging down a final hill and splashing into a lake filled with geysers and water spouts.

"Journey to Atlantis will be an exciting addition," says SeaWorld San Antonio Executive Vice President and General Manager Dan Decker. "Not only will riders experience the thrills of a roller coaster, they get the cooling effects of the water ride as well."

Decker says onlookers will have an opportunity to get splashed from an observation area located adjacent to the ride.

SeaWorld officials say the new attraction will be constructed by Mack GMBH, a German ride manufacturer. A similar ride by the same manufacturer is featured at Germany's Europa Park.

Officials say the new ride will be situated on 3 acres between the White Whale and Dolphin Stadium and the Nautilus Amphitheater.

Journey to Atlantis will be the sixth major ride added to the world's largest marine life adventure park. Park officials say this one should be particularly appealing for families with children, as riders need only be 42 inches high to enjoy the experience.

Decker says SeaWorld also is planning additional park enhancements.

The park will open for its 2007 season on March 3 and will be open through Dec. 31. Season Passports go on sale Aug. 25.

SeaWorld San Antonio is an Anheuser-Busch Adventure Park and is owned by St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. (NYSE: BUD).
Johnny Roller Coaster Website with Roller coaster related: events, trip reports and construction photos. http://www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
Manta Construction http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby texasgiantrules » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:16 pm

I read about the Sea World one on RCDB, but what is the SFFT rumor? I haven't heard that one yet.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Horray for a new credit that I can get with my Platinum pass!!! This thing is working out to be GREAT!

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:21 pm

Fiesta is supposedly getting a Gerstlauer spinner, much like Mr Six's Pandemonium at SFNE.

In any case, looks like another good addition. I know the park was brutally hot the last time I was there. It'll be nice to be able to get wet!

Maybe a return to Texas is in order for the future, though the idea of turntables does worry me a bit, meaning more risk for downtime. :?r
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm

This awesome, two coasters for SA in 2007! Hopefully I'll be able to ride both on opening day.

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I've always been interested in europa's supersplash, great to have one coming up stateside!
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:33 am

Anyone else slightly disappointed?

It just seems like every time we get a new Journey it's 'dumbed down' a bit more!

SWO - Majorly themed Dark Ride Sections, Big Log Flume Drop, Big Coaster Drop

SWSD - No Dark Ride at all, Same Log Flume Drop, 2 Coaster Drops

SWSA - Splash down boat.

Yes, I liked Supersplash at Europa Park, but it's nothing more than a splashdown boat.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Mark Rosenzweig » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 am

SharkTums wrote:Anyone else slightly disappointed?

It just seems like every time we get a new Journey it's 'dumbed down' a bit more!

SWSA - Splash down boat.

Yes, I liked Supersplash at Europa Park, but it's nothing more than a splashdown boat.

Just the hierarchy of budgets. Florida gets the most, San Antonio the least. Because San Antonio already has a log flume, a shoot-the-chute deluxe was the way to go. An extended version of this larger ride system would probably be cost prohibitive.

I think the biggest dissappointment regarding this install is that supposadly it will lack the speed bump after the big drop that the installs in Norway and Germany have. Just a drop down into the run-out like any other shoot-the-chute. Personally, I would have nixed the seemingly pointless turntables in exchange for this speed bump if it came down to a budget issue.

SWSA is experiencing record attendance these days. They'll probably come close to or break 2 million guests this year. Of course, extending the schedule helps too.

-Mark

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:05 am

SharkTums wrote:Anyone else slightly disappointed?

SWSA - Splash down boat.

While reading I felt the same way. Its like that took a great concept and over time watered it down. How can they even call it journey to atlantis?!?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!