TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Valleyfair!, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

May 21st, 2006 - Wild Thing accident injures 17 - SEE BELOW!

June 5th, 2006 - Markers start appearing at Valleyfair

August 16th, 2006 - Renegade announced

May 24th, 2007 - TPR rides Renegade during opening weekend

October 8th, 2008 - Waterpark expansion announced

January 5th, 2010 - Bob Williams, founder of Valleyfair, dies at age 77

July 29th, 2010 - Significant park expansion on the way!

August 6th, 2010 - Planet Snoopy announced

February 21st, 2012 - Dave Frazier announced as the park's new General Manager

April 16th, 2012 - List of rides included on Fast Pass

September 9th, 2012 - Park announces $3.5 million expansion

September 26th, 2013 - Route 76 announced for 2014!

June 25th, 2014 - Severe flooding closes 3 rides, but park remains open

September 11th, 2015 - six new slides announced for 2015

September 15th, 2015 - Flying Eagles announced for 2016, also Extreme Sports entertainment show

August 5th, 2016 - Permit filed with the City of Shakopee indicates a new Star Flyer

August 18th, 2016 - Northstar: 230 foot Star Flyer from Funtime is announced

August 16th, 2017 - Delirious (a Larson Looper) announced for 2018

Wild Thing accident

From KARE-11 news. Wild Thing. Back car of train gets uncoupled, jumps the tracks going into the station brakes. 17 injured, 13 taken to St. Francis Hospital in Shakopee. Mast camera is showing the back car sitting on the tracks, but with one bottom side sitting on the spine of the tracks. My initial guess is that it threw an upstop, but that's strictly speculation.

Will keep updating as things emerge.

Paul

Edited by larrygator

OMG!!! That is insane, please keep us updated!

So now we have quite a few little Morgan 'incidents' that are all RIDE related, yet no one gives them as much crap as all of the Intamin 'incidents' where a good amount of them are rider related!

Wow, wonder if this will push back Steel Dragon's reopening even more!

The "Wild Thing" ride at Valleyfair in Shakopee came apart while on the track.

13 people were transported to an area hospital. Most had minor injuries, one person did have a head injury. This is a developing story.

Stay with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and KSTP.COM for the latest.

Steel Dragon still isn't open yet? I guess Wild Thing won't be open for at least a few years then. I'm watching it on the news too.

Steel Dragon not being open has more to do with the culture than the actual ride. I'm sure it won't take as long for Wild Thing to reopen.

Several Injured In Accident At Valleyfair

(WCCO) At least 13 people were injured Saturday in an accident on the Wild Thing roller coaster at Valleyfair, authorities said.

The accident happened just after 4 p.m., a Scott County dispatcher said.

Thirteen people were taken to St. Francis Regional Medical Center in Shakopee for treatment, a hospital official said.

Eleven were admitted for treatment of injuries, and two were dismissed, authorities said. The rest were listed in stable condition.

Most of the injuries were minor, and all 11 were expected to be OK, a supervising nurse said.

The nature of the accident has not yet been confirmed.

The Wild Thing debuted at Valleyfair in 1996, according to the amusement park's Web site. The ride lasts three minutes and reaches speeds of 74 mph.

The coaster's track is nearly 5,500 feet long and peaks at 207 feet high. It features two "S" curves, one tunnel and one 360-degree spiral.

This sucks because I love Morgan rides! I recently rode MAMBA @ WOF and it is most definately in my top five! Its too bad that Morgan is going to get a bad rap because of these things, their rides are really great!

I smell a lawsuit! Well atleast it happened where it did, the result of that happening on the first drop might have been a little worse. Hopefully the park can get the ride open soon and that nobody was seriously hurt...

Colin C

This sucks because I love Morgan rides!

Can people think before they post? THIS SUCKS BECASUE PEOPLE GOT HURT, not because someone likes Morgan coasters.

I'm sorry but not everything in life needs a joke a accompany it!

Well atleast it happened where it did, the result of that happening on the first drop might have been a little worse.

I agree. Having to drag a derailed car as far as the MCBR from the bottom of the first drop could have been much worse, both in terms of human injuries and structural damage to the coaster. Going into the station brakes meant that the train was coming to a stop very quickly and without very much more distance to travel.

That's very upsetting to hear. I feel bad for everyone injured but I am now a little concerned about riding Steel Force when I go back to Dorney either this week or next. It's a great ride but like it was mentioned how SD2000 had a problem and now this, I will admit I'm kind of scared to ride Steel Force again.

This sucks because I love Morgan rides!

Can people think before they post? THIS SUCKS BECASUE PEOPLE GOT HURT, not because someone likes Morgan coasters.

I'm sorry but not everything in life needs a joke a accompany it!

I think you read that wrong, yes, it does suck that people got hurt. BUT, I was saying that is also sucks because I really love Morgan rides and they are having all of these problems. Along with that, now I cant go ride Wild Thing, which I'm sure will be just as awesome as MAMBA. Now do you understand?

One morgan car holds 6 passengers. So I'm wondering how if one car derailed and the rest of the train continued into the breakrun. Then how were 17 people injured?

Two cars actually derailed, only the back one came off the rest of the train though. I'm not sure how they other 5 people could have gotten hurt though.