TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I went to Valleyfair on Thursday I was stuck on the right lane on 101 about 5:30 pm there was already a line on 101 waiting to get into the park then about 7:00 pm there were lines of cars back up all the way from 169 and all the way on 101 from downtown Shakopee coming from the west side. I'd say it was a busy Thursday night for MEA and the weather was nice to low 60's. And I hate to say it but there's only one more weekend left it's already closing weekend 26, 27 and 28 .

^ It is tough to watch smaller parks (or at least used to be) like Kentucky Kingdom grow and surpass VF with their new additions.

So very true, but also keep in mind the weather up here is different than many of these parks, they have a different ethos as well (Thinking Knoebels and Kentucky Kingdom). They also have the freedom of being independently run as well, perhaps they gained an investor and such too? Valleyfair has both the privilege and burden of being a part of a larger chain: they have larger corporate backing... but they also have shareholders to appease as well. Not that smaller parks don't have shareholders, but larger parks have to keep things moving for all the parks, and lots of profit to make to keep people happy. It's definitely worth noting that they have mentioned investment here in MN soon, but working down the chain of parks definitely makes sense: Cedar Point is indeed their flagship park and something they need to keep competitive with Six Flags' lead parks.

Also, a note about growth: families make up a huge chunk of visitors, not seasoned enthusiasts. I personally think it's great that they're reinvesting into that demographic with the new(ish) kids area, the Route 76 area as well are all laying down a good foundation for a well rounded park. Even more so, a development year with just utility upgrades and such also shows good management: they care enough about the quality and durability of the park to keep it up to date. It's smart investment to be sure. All that doesn't surpass my desire to have new hotness in the park, but especially for a temperamental climate as MN, it's good to see we have a park that doing well even despite the size.

That's a wrap for the season! I had a blast working in Dark Harvest during Haunt! I will definitely try to come back next year and do it again. I want to give a big shout out to valleyfairfanatic for winning best monster award in his area of expertise. Congrats bro! You were awesome and very deserving! It was pretty cool though how you brought up your mentors and publicly praised them. Very classy!! Everyone did an outstanding job this year! I have to say, I really have a new appreciation for Haunt actors and talent! It is a very demanding job physically and mentally. I was wiped out each night. MEA weekend was brutal by the end of Saturday. It's easy to get discouraged when you get those guests that are like "whatever, this is so stupid". I do have to say that I made more than a few of them jump anyway! But it's when you get those guests, which is the vast majority of them, that are there to have a great time and really get into it. Boy did that fire me up! I determined early in the season that the "perfect" scare was when a guest ended up on the ground! I had probably a couple dozen of them! I literally had to turn around and laugh out loud. Does anybody have any funny stories from Haunt? I'd love to hear them!

That's a wrap for the season! I had a blast working in Dark Harvest during Haunt! I will definitely try to come back next year and do it again. I want to give a big shout out to valleyfairfanatic for winning best monster award in his area of expertise. Congrats bro! You were awesome and very deserving! It was pretty cool though how you brought up your mentors and publicly praised them. Very classy!! Everyone did an outstanding job this year! I have to say, I really have a new appreciation for Haunt actors and talent! It is a very demanding job physically and mentally. I was wiped out each night. MEA weekend was brutal by the end of Saturday. It's easy to get discouraged when you get those guests that are like "whatever, this is so stupid". I do have to say that I made more than a few of them jump anyway! But it's when you get those guests, which is the vast majority of them, that are there to have a great time and really get into it. Boy did that fire me up! I determined early in the season that the "perfect" scare was when a guest ended up on the ground! I had probably a couple dozen of them! I literally had to turn around and laugh out loud. Does anybody have any funny stories from Haunt? I'd love to hear them!

Not entirely the same thing but I worked in rides throughout Haunt season and at the end of ride cycles I would sometimes say on the mic “enjoy your night here at ValleyScare! ” and occasionally some of the guests would get a decent scare out of the evil laughter.

On another note, I’m sad to say I won’t be coming back next year as I’ll be moving out of state in the spring. Looking forward to having/exploring some new home parks but will miss all the good times I’ve have riding and working at Valleyfair.

So does anyone think that Valleyfair may get a winterfest? I wondering if they were hinting at it during the Scaries awards during the opening act! Canada's Wonderland is starting winterfest next year so it's not out of the question for other northern parks like Valleyfair or Cedar Point. The only thing with Cedar Point is that they aren't really close to a major metro area, its a destination park. Would people come to Cedar Point if they held a winterfest?

Wait, it actually happens that people pee their pants in haunted attractions?

Yep. I had a really good role to scare in so it was pretty consistent.

It does happen. I scared one guy so bad he went down! His wife was laughing hysterically and said she just peed her pants! Had another girl curl up into a ball crying uncontrollably. Her friends had to come and drag her away! Ahhh...good times!

I could see Winterfest at Valleyfair just because it's so close to a major metropolitan area. Don't expect much of a ride lineup but I doubt Wonderland is going to run much of anything either.

Would people come to Cedar Point if they held a winterfest?

Probably not.

It's possible that's why we're having an off year, so the park can rebuild some restrooms and food stands so they can be used in the winter. A light frost during haunt is one thing but I doubt much of the park is in a condition to be operable after the ground freezes solid.

I have heard some rumblings in the jungle that Valleyfair is taking a huge interest in getting their infrastructure up to speed. To be completely honest, it was pretty apparent this year that Valleyfair was not adequately prepared/up to date in a lot of areas other than attractions.

^ It is tough to watch smaller parks (or at least used to be) like Kentucky Kingdom grow and surpass VF with their new additions.

So very true, but also keep in mind the weather up here is different than many of these parks, they have a different ethos as well (Thinking Knoebels and Kentucky Kingdom). They also have the freedom of being independently run as well, perhaps they gained an investor and such too? Valleyfair has both the privilege and burden of being a part of a larger chain: they have larger corporate backing... but they also have shareholders to appease as well. Not that smaller parks don't have shareholders, but larger parks have to keep things moving for all the parks, and lots of profit to make to keep people happy. It's definitely worth noting that they have mentioned investment here in MN soon, but working down the chain of parks definitely makes sense: Cedar Point is indeed their flagship park and something they need to keep competitive with Six Flags' lead parks.

Also, a note about growth: families make up a huge chunk of visitors, not seasoned enthusiasts. I personally think it's great that they're reinvesting into that demographic with the new(ish) kids area, the Route 76 area as well are all laying down a good foundation for a well rounded park. Even more so, a development year with just utility upgrades and such also shows good management: they care enough about the quality and durability of the park to keep it up to date. It's smart investment to be sure. All that doesn't surpass my desire to have new hotness in the park, but especially for a temperamental climate as MN, it's good to see we have a park that doing well even despite the size.

Nice job on the balanced summary of WHY Valleyfair operates the way it does. And I agree with all your points but that still doesn't make it any easier for me to see other formally smaller parks move by VF with new additions. Hopefully CF backs up it's statements of investing in VF soon like they have said in their quarterly reports for the last four years.

It must be nice when “oh no, it’s the offseason” means “Hey, let’s to go to the mall tomorrow and ride that kick A$$ log flume and 4 great coasters”.

Yes, we have that going for us here........which is nice. We got a log flume and a Gerstlauer.......log flume would be good for you.

*Insert Caddyshack reference here.

^

I don’t see Corkscrew going anywhere until the park adds a new looping coaster, they’ve been maintaining it pretty well over the years. The Wave also probably still has some life left, it’s popular with families and draws a fairly long line on warm/hot days.

As for a Blitz coaster, while it would be wonderful if the park had a Maverick-like coaster, Cedar Fair is not going to drop $20 million+ on a new coaster at Valleyfair, at least not anytime soon.

^

I don’t see Corkscrew going anywhere until the park adds a new looping coaster, they’ve been maintaining it pretty well over the years. The Wave also probably still has some life left, it’s popular with families and draws a fairly long line on warm/hot days.

As for a Blitz coaster, while it would be wonderful if the park had a Maverick-like coaster, Cedar Fair is not going to drop $20 million+ on a new coaster at Valleyfair, at least not anytime soon.

they could make it an inverting coaster. and they could make a nice new log flume ride where the amphitheater. and yes that is all way too expensive for cedar fair to put at their second smallest park.