TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

^ Interesting, thanks for the information. Did you see any heavy equipment out there or in the back employee parking lot? I checked the building and work permits for the city of Shakopee and nothing was posted yet. But, I have seen them post permits weeks after the actual work has been started on other projects. I will make an effort to get there Thursday night if it is not raining and check it out. Anyone else see or know of anything?

^

There were no heavy construction machines there that I could see.

On another note, I noticed High Roller received a new braking system that’s making it run better. When I rode it, the first trim brake was on pretty light and I don’t think the second one activated at all. This resulted in some nice airtime in the newly retracked section of the ride.

^

There were no heavy construction machines there that I could see.

On another note, I noticed High Roller received a new braking system that’s making it run better. When I rode it, the first trim brake was on pretty light and I don’t think the second one activated at all. This resulted in some nice airtime in the newly retracked section of the ride.

Good to hear!

When we were there last summer, they were having issues with the braking system.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been inactive for awhile, so I figured I’d post a few things as I was at the park today.

Does anybody know of Chick-fil-a will be there the entire summer, and if so then will we be seeing them put up a permanent walk in building if they make enough money? Thoughts on this idea?

On the other hand, I rode Excalibur today, and the only clearing of trees I noticed was near the grain elevator thing. Is this work that Valleyfair did, or is it work that was done by the owners of the grain elevator? I also didn’t see any heavy machinery in the employee parking lot that could be used for removing, or making room in the back, so are they really starting on this? I mean correct me if I’m wrong, but it honestly doesn’t look like they’ve shown any effort in following through with the permit that was approved last year. Especially with the old white slides being painted.

On a more positive note, Delirious is a great ride!!! Anyone who trash talks it just doesn’t have any hope in Valleyfair. People just need to look at what VF has done with area one and see that they will eventually spread what they did with area one to the rest of the park. I believe that this was mentioned earlier, but I think that the next area of the park that will be focused on is the games midway, with so much potential for that area of the park. Removal of the arcade, Panda Express moving over there with a new walk in building, new rides fitting into new spaces (I’m looking at you empty field near Wild Thing where Tilter used to be). Although there is an uneven balance between Route 76, and the rest of the park, this will slowly change as Valleyfair updates the rest of the park while expanding onto the back. I personally am looking forward to what Valleyfair does throughout the next 10-15 years!

Anyone else have any predictions on what they could do to even the balance between Route 76 and the rest of the park? Speaking in regards to lighting packages, pathways, rides, etc. Or even better, what do people hope to see come to the back of the park when Valleyfair begins to expand into the land focused on in the permit?

This thread has been inactive for awhile, so I figured I’d post a few things as I was at the park today.

Unfortunately we have nothing to talk about, hence the inactivity.

anybody know of Chick-fil-a will be there the entire summer, and if so then will we be seeing them put up a permanent walk in building if they make enough money? Thoughts on this idea?

Chick-Fil-a is at VF now? That is news to me. Where is it? Must have missed it on my couple visits this year.

I mean correct me if I’m wrong, but it honestly doesn’t look like they’ve shown any effort in following through with the permit that was approved last year. Especially with the old white slides being painted.

They haven't shown any effort at all yet. That is why I ask people to post if they see anything, thanks for the update even though it is nothing. Keep looking on visits. The plan to expand the back of the park by moving a service road and adding a parking lot has been publicly know since early 2015 and you know CF started even earlier on this plan to expand. They now have Federal, State and City approval for the project for a little over a year now so you would imagine we should see activity this year or next. But plans can change at any time.

I believe that this was mentioned earlier, but I think that the next area of the park that will be focused on is the games midway, with so much potential for that area of the park.

I agree with you that this area is now ripe for an overhaul. From the old RipTide location all the way to the train boarding station is now the most outdated and boring part of the park. If they could transform this area like Route 76 it would really improve the park. So much area and great location to work with.

Even better, what do people hope to see come to the back of the park when Valleyfair begins to expand into the land focused on in the permit?

Hopefully more water park area. The waterpark is the smallest in the chain and I think if they add more water attractions with a dedicated entrance the park could easily generate more revenue. And with the removal of Excalibur in the plans hopefully a replacement of that coaster. But don't ask me because I have no idea. The park has surprised me the last five years every year (and in a good way) with Route 76. I did not see any of it coming so I am the wrong person to speculate. But with Northern Lights, bringing the antique cars back, refurbs with great lights on old classics like the Scrambler and Tilt-a-Whirl along with North Star and Delirious and how great it turned out I cannot complain at all.

My two questions are: If and when will this project be started? And how long will it take? It is a BIG project. Still 90 days left in the season sans Valleyscare so hopefully we see some activity this year in the back. As usual, post if you see anything.

anybody know of Chick-fil-a will be there the entire summer, and if so then will we be seeing them put up a permanent walk in building if they make enough money? Thoughts on this idea?

Chick-Fil-a is at VF now? That is news to me. Where is it? Must have missed it on my couple visits this year.

Chik-Fil-A has taken over the Chicken Shack by Planet Snoopy on select days. Locations outside the park are sponsoring(?) it. So it does not appear to be a permanent Chick-Fil-A location.

Chik-Fil-A has taken over the Chicken Shack by Planet Snoopy on select days. Locations outside the park are sponsoring(?) it. So it does not appear to be a permanent Chick-Fil-A location.

Temporary this year but the manager said there are plans to bring Chick-fil-a full time to VF next year. I’m not lying or exaggerating.

Three things I noticed:

The Snoopy Bouncy house next to the bridge is gone.

At the wave pool they finally just put down a concrete slab over the former London Terror / "VIP seating" / grassy overflow area / sand volleyball court and bought a bunch more lounge chairs so they have something close to enough now.

The new lights over the path at Route 76. The acorn lights weren't bad, but these are better. They need to get rid of the remainder of the generic shoebox lights that replaced the original incandescent faux streetlights in the early 1990s.

I'm assuming they can't because it's an outside company, but I'd really like it if you could get a season pass for locker rentals. $13 or $15 a pop gets expensive fast when you go once or twice a week.

I take back what I said about the games area needing a makeover. I was at the park a few days ago and realized how weirdly themed the area by Renegade is. They have attractions themed to the Wild West, Pirates, vampires, and surfers all right next to each other. It's like the park couldn't come up with one theme so they just did every theme they could think of. I really hope this area of the park just gets one overall theme.

A woman wearing a banana costume came to ride Delirious last night while I was working it. I asked her if she found the ride appeeling.

I also have been crosstrained at Valleyfair's own Ste.Ven: Steel Venom at everything but controls. So now I know positions at three of the park's coasters: Mad Mouse, Venom, and Delirious ( ).

I take back what I said about the games area needing a makeover. I was at the park a few days ago and realized how weirdly themed the area by Renegade is. They have attractions themed to the Wild West, Pirates, vampires, and surfers all right next to each other. It's like the park couldn't come up with one theme so they just did every theme they could think of. I really hope this area of the park just gets one overall theme.

I think they’re doing fine, as I’m guessing Looping Starship will soon be removed for a waterpark expansion eliminating the pirate problem. Renegade is the dominant ride in the area, so of those themes it should remain a Wild West area. The vampire Chateau is only used during the Haunt, when everybody is mainly focused on the mazes and not rides, so I don’t think there is a big deal there. Not to mention that during the summer it just looks like a normal storage building. Compare this to how Zombie High is just sitting there, even more visible then the Chateau. Nobody complains about that being there, so why would people care about the Chateau being where it is during the summer. As for the wheel of fortune ride, well that kinda relates to the Wild West theme, but could be replaced with a better Wild West themed thrill ride. I always thought that the whole Wild West back was cool, and feel that while they expand the new land in the back, they should continue the theme past Renegade. I don’t think that the Soak City “Surfer” theme is all that bad, because they have a gate and entrance separating it from the Wild West section. Not to mention if they move the entrance over to Mad mouse eventually, and use the current space plus Looping Starthip for another slide complex, maybe a mat racer, or sideways funnel, then that would further separate Soak City from the Wild West section of the park.

Why was Snoopy’s Moon Bounce removed? My six year old enjoyed it. Are they putting something different there eventually?

I don't think any of us have a sure answer to your questions, but my guess would be lack of interest or maintenance. Considering its an empty area (save the small statue) it will probably be filled in the next few years.

Also, on the subject of the land clearing by Excalibur, I just rode it today and could not see any land clearing that was allegedly said to be there.

Also, on the subject of the land clearing by Excalibur, I just rode it today and could not see any land clearing that was allegedly said to be there.

Yeah when I rode it before, the only thing I noticed was a land clearing located next to the grain elevators. I don’t know if that was there before, as I had never really paid attention to that area, or if it was recently cleared away, but is it even on Valleyfair’s land?

Finally getting back on the forum here. I went on the Run and Ride weekend to volunteer and then try out Delirious. I wasn't really expecting to like it since I'm not a fan of just hanging upside down but it actually was a pretty fun ride! I think I'll chop this one up to butt-hurt enthusiasts complaining a lot for no real reason.

Also I *LOVE* the new lights over Route 76, it looks so great at night.

Yeah when I rode it before, the only thing I noticed was a land clearing located next to the grain elevators. I don’t know if that was there before, as I had never really paid attention to that area, or if it was recently cleared away, but is it even on Valleyfair’s land?

I haven't seen the land clearing you guys are talking about, but it's very possible that if it's close to the grain elevators it isn't Valleyfair's property.

vfland.thumb.PNG.6fd2feee62588cd2bc52f216b49e4ac0.PNG

Area outlined in red is Valleyfair's property

All of the land immediately west to that red line is owned by the owner of the grain elevators.

The land clearing I noticed earlier was located directly north of the ride. It’s still a mostly grassy area but it seems like there are fewer trees there than there used to be. Either way, I’m still half-expecting that this will end up being nothing since there have been rumors of Excalibur’s removal for years now but it’s still here.

Does anyone know how the bring a friend works? Do we just show up at the gate with the friend, and while they're paying for their ticket hand the gold pass to the ticket person? Does it work differently? Speaking in regards to ordering at the gate, and not online.

Am I the only one who finds it unfortunate that while Valleyfair owns a lot of land, a lot of it cannot be developed due to the river? I'm curious, was that land blocked from development when the park was originally being developed or weren't they expecting it to be the hindrance to growth that it is now?

Does anyone know how the bring a friend works? Do we just show up at the gate with the friend, and while they're paying for their ticket hand the gold pass to the ticket person? Does it work differently? Speaking in regards to ordering at the gate, and not online.

What I would *ASSUME* would happen is your friend would ask for a bring-a-friend ticket, and the guy in the kiosk would say "YOU SHALL NOT PASS... unless you have a passholder with you." It would here where you would hand him the pass. (That's how it usually works). However, I'm not sure it they even offer the Bring-a-friend ticket at the park.

Also why even do it at the park? It's so much more convenient to do it online.

EDIT: The website specifically says, "Price available online only. Must be accompanied by a valid 2018 Gold or Platinum season pass holder. Up to six (6) tickets per pass per day. Validity dates may vary."

What I would *ASSUME* would happen is your friend would ask for a bring-a-friend ticket, and the guy in the kiosk would say "YOU SHALL NOT PASS... unless you have a passholder with you." It would here where you would hand him the pass. (That's how it usually works). However, I'm not sure it they even offer the Bring-a-friend ticket at the park.

Also why even do it at the park? It's so much more convenient to do it online.

EDIT: The website specifically says, "Price available online only. Must be accompanied by a valid 2018 Gold or Platinum season pass holder. Up to six (6) tickets per pass per day. Validity dates may vary."

You can bring a friend on any day and get them in for like $33 plus tax when you show the ticket office your season pass. I'm not sure how it works on the special "bring a friend" days but the price drops to I think $20.

Am I the only one who finds it unfortunate that while Valleyfair owns a lot of land, a lot of it cannot be developed due to the river? I'm curious, was that land blocked from development when the park was originally being developed or weren't they expecting it to be the hindrance to growth that it is now?

I had a discussion about this very topic with the former GM of Valleyfair. He told me that when the original owners of Valleyfair first opened the park in 1976 there were almost no regulations to filling in wetlands. He said they could have and should have just had the whole thing filled in at the time. Now, there is so much government regulations to filling in wetlands that it's unlikely that they will ever fill in all of the wetlands. However, He did say that they could, without much problem place footers in wetland areas for things such as roller coasters. They just cant build buildings in the wetland! So, sarcastically speaking, most of Valleyfair's future new rides have to be roller coasters!

However, He did say that they could, without much problem place footers in wetland areas for things such as roller coasters. They just cant build buildings in the wetland! So, sarcastically speaking, most of Valleyfair's future new rides have to be roller coasters!

Now that's interesting. I was under the impression they couldn't build at all there. Honestly VF is good on a lot of the stuff you'd put in buildings, like shops and restaurants. They really just need more waterpark. Although I wouldn't turn down a giga along the river. Who am I kidding? I would plan a trip around a giga along the river.

However, He did say that they could, without much problem place footers in wetland areas for things such as roller coasters. They just cant build buildings in the wetland! So, sarcastically speaking, most of Valleyfair's future new rides have to be roller coasters!

Now that's interesting. I was under the impression they couldn't build at all there. Honestly VF is good on a lot of the stuff you'd put in buildings, like shops and restaurants. They really just need more waterpark. Although I wouldn't turn down a giga along the river. Who am I kidding? I would plan a trip around a giga along the river.

Well, a giga unfortunately probably wont happen unless they get a special permit. Because of flying cloud airport across the river the park has a height limit of 275'. Now, that is within the current park limits as far as I know. If you get off to the far east or west then "maybe". Power tower was originally planned for 300' but when permits were obtained they were given a 275' limit. That's also why NorthStar is not taller either. That still leaves room for a record tall invert though. I can't imagine what a 225' twisting inverted first drop would be like but I'm will to ride it. As the saying goes, "If they build it, the people will come!"

Hopeful me wants to believe that if they were to remove Excalibur ( ) they're waiting for the Dino contract to end so they can get a suitable replacement. (Then again I have no idea how these permits work and if there is an expiration on it)