TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I am down with the color! The more purple rides, the better!

I hear you on that. You don't see many purple rides and it fits in here with the popularity of the Minnesota Vikings and being the home of Prince. I thought they did a great job of color selection for the ride, it looks really good in the mock ups with everything else around it. The lighting package should be interesting to see also.

Thought I'd chime in on this a little bit. Being disappointed is perfectly valid, there is nothing wrong with that. They aren't forcing you to like the ride. However, complaining to the park, and just general whining is not valid. I think we might be mistaking disappointment with whining.

Very true. I like that they are adding a thrill ride to the park and I also like the ride selection and placement too. They park is getting something and it should be good for the park. I am just a little disappointed that they did not kick of the proposed water park expansion/additional parking lot after finally getting approval. You can only hear 'Growth Park' by CF execs so many times over the last few years in conference calls before you ask...WHEN?

So I think I figured out what they're going to do at Valleyfair the next 2 years.

In 2019, they will remove Looping Starship (that's why we got a Larson Loop) and will expand the waterpark, but will NOT bulldoze Excalibur at that time nor create a new parking lot. Then it will not cost that much. A similar expansion as what Hersheypark got this year.

Then finally in 2020, they will 1) remove dinosaurs alive, 2) remove excalibur, 3) bulldoze the front AND back entrances and create new entrances in the front and back, along with a new front gate coaster.

This coaster will likely not be something expensive like a B+M, but either a cheaper Raptor or Infinity.

QED.

This way they are not down 1 coaster for a year. Instead, they can remove Excalibur and replace it with a front gate coaster in the same year.

Then finally in 2020, they will 1) remove dinosaurs alive, 2) remove excalibur, 3) bulldoze the front AND back entrances and create new entrances in the front and back, along with a new front gate coaster.

We're already on to 2020? Slow down, the park just announced their 10th coaster yesterday. I really don't see Valleyfair adding 2 coasters over the course of 3 years.

I didn't actually expect to see anything this year so this is a pleasant surprise! I'm actually most excited about seeing the lights over that whole pathway back to Steel Venom, that's going to look so great at night!

As for Delirious, I'm not sure it'll be my cup of tea, but I'll definitely be trying it out when it opens and maybe it'll surprise me again.

With my season at the park now over, it's time for me to head back to school. But before I do, I wanted to post the best pictures of the park I took in the time I had while not making you all scream on Power Tower.

1737345729_Corkscrew17.thumb.JPG.d2560549817228d586094bd5d150efd6.JPG

Note to Self: get this shot again without the Extreme Swing arms in the way.

936231589_Corkscrew20.thumb.JPG.95b26c9e8edbd783306b4f9041b096fc.JPG

LOOP-DEE-LOOP

1823762973_Corkscrew21.thumb.JPG.ddd2dee778cc9bdcabe2efe8c2241e08.JPG

885823837_Corkscrew22.thumb.JPG.f74b8bb99945706657431d81bf833676.JPG

Corkscrewed!

1959466111_Corkscrew26.thumb.JPG.b86c8041b8c79cacfe6127d96ae4bf1b.JPG

Over the cork pond!

1650157767_Corkscrew29.thumb.JPG.a79ede6d4a43e9e8fdba295891a2ec9e.JPG

Looking up

359077202_Corkscrew3.thumb.JPG.13fcd2add42aba2eb71cce88e66e721d.JPG

1223136738_Corkscrew30.thumb.JPG.088e120d17099d5bc6d3920c125cfcde.JPG

Must get this shot with better light...

353260944_Corkscrew5.thumb.JPG.eeb0329f25fc15d4e9d67620b975f86e.JPG

172285222_NorthStar2.thumb.JPG.bfbdf9443f30d6b17a7444e3481180f9.JPG

New Hotness

1987616998_NorthStar5.thumb.JPG.1f083d0844915366bd5e4599bf57cee6.JPG

284491384_Park10.thumb.JPG.dfc431db9705123797c8956c2884a015.JPG

New Hotness saves the clock tower!

402551907_Park5.thumb.JPG.69f3e4a7b3b28ee75d7ccf92c4400eb6.JPG

Must get this shot with the Power Tower cart while the Corkscrew train goes through the loop...

2084304018_PowerTower3.thumb.JPG.a3a654ca3ad7645a6a86dbc3d39a4e44.JPG

35999212_Renegade2.thumb.JPG.4e7d962ce1abe4770d1d46ffc19fc911.JPG

Hold the wife and hide the youngins...

232999799_Renegade3.thumb.JPG.8e3ccfd05372a096b22b4125e3106c00.JPG

Cause the Renegade's a-runnin'!

862145587_SteelVenom4.thumb.JPG.fa59894bce7a4215d80ade7b11ecb9f9.JPG

The holding break AKA: The Nut Cracker

1148037315_WildThing3.thumb.JPG.64aeba288e1f0e402fb2f11874d3161e.JPG

Found that shot you always see of Wild Thing in the commercials

1492585470_WildThing4.thumb.JPG.a644158c9711766df62ab06078c8e314.JPG

790038803_WildThing7.thumb.JPG.d3505487d3cb65e8812f05a2fd8ba61d.JPG

Until we meet again, scream on!

While at a promotional event this weekend I got the OK from Todd, one of the heads of Valleyscare, to share information on what's going on at Valleyscare this Fall. NO SPOILERS below. Just basic info about themes/costumes/locations/names.

SCARE ZONES:

Trails End: Still in the same spot by Renegade. New costumes this year.

Carnevil: In the same zone as last year. Costumes are amazing. White suits with spatters of blood. Lots of prosthetics and masks used this year instead of face makeup.

Blood Creek Cemetery: Same zone as last year.

MAZES:

Zombie High: Same spot, 90's Theme this year

Chateau: Same spot, same theme

Mr. Cleaver: Same spot, same theme

Humane Habitat: Same spot, same theme

*NEW* Beserkers Unleashed: Gone are the theatrics! This will be a traditional walk through attraction with jump scares. It's using the same location but will be a single path. Should be a huge improvement.

*NEW* Dark Harvest: This is replacing Hellside Farm! The maze will be moving to the woods behind Beserkers and Humane Habitat. They already have the area all paved. The farm theme will remain the same, but the maze will be larger, more twisted and in a nice, dark isolated location. Should be the highlight this year (I'm scare actor there, so I'm biased!)

The scare zone that was under Corkscrew (sorry, forgot the name), will be replaced with Pumpkin Promenade. A large display of carved/lit pumpkins. Should look cool at night and be a great photo spot. No scares there.

Can't wait to scare the crap out of some of you this fall! (I'll be the one with the creepy doll, so say "hi" )

Mark

What does everyone think about the raptor coasters? Do you think Valleyfair will get one? Personally I sure hope not! While they may be fun the fact that there is only one passenger per car really turns me off. Half the fun is riding with friends! Plus the capacity is so low! If they come up with trains that can sit two per car maybe, but I really don't see this being a good fit for Valleyfair at all! Opinions??

What does everyone think about the raptor coasters? Do you think Valleyfair will get one? Personally I sure hope not! While they may be fun the fact that there is only one passenger per car really turns me off. Half the fun is riding with friends! Plus the capacity is so low! If they come up with trains that can sit two per car maybe, but I really don't see this being a good fit for Valleyfair at all! Opinions??
Regardless of any capacity issues, I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't want a brand new ride coming to their park.

I did cartwheels down the street during the announcement of Railblazer and nothing negative crossed my mind. Low capacity? The line will be a tad longer. Cant ride with a friend? They can ride in the car behind you.

Isn't this park smaller than CGA? I know I've read TRs from this park and people mention the non-existent lines so I don't see why it would be a huge problem if VF got a similar ride.

I'd be happy to get an RMC Raptor at Valleyfair. Railblazer looks like a nice intense coaster, and a similar ride would fit well in the park's lineup.

Also with Knott's getting HangTime, that makes a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster more of a possibility here. I rode Monster at Adventureland earlier this year and it's a fantastic ride, if we got something similar at VF I'd have no complaints.

I think a Railblazer clone is the best thing we'll see coming to Valleyfair, and even that is kind of a long shot. While the park has been investing much better than Dorney and Michigan's Adventure, I think that's where the park will stay for a while. I'm not sure a ride like Hangtime is within the park's reach.

I LOVE Super Loops! I will never understand the hate for them. Super fun rides in a tiny layout. What more could you want?

My issue with them is that I rode this exact same attraction at a cheap ass traveling weekend carnival 15+ years ago, and they were fine for a carnival attraction just like a fun house or zipper, but they are a tacky addition to parks that have invested millions into long lasting permanent attractions. These are abysmal additions devaluing the park by thinking "anything" is better than nothing.

Nobody wants to ride these things. On my last trip to SFDK they had a Larson Looper, and surprise surprise, it was CLOSED. And NOBODY fretted over it. Nobody cared. Because everyone just looks at it and goes...that's it? Loops may have been cool 15 years ago, but they're a yawner now. And the installations LOOK like a carnival attraction. Who wants to pay admission to ride something that rides and looks like crap?

I would rather they skip on the lame attraction and put that money toward the park in other ways.

Nobody wants to ride these things. On my last trip to SFDK they had a Larson Looper, and surprise surprise, it was CLOSED. And NOBODY fretted over it. Nobody cared. Because everyone just looks at it and goes...that's it? Loops may have been cool 15 years ago, but they're a yawner now. And the installations LOOK like a carnival attraction. Who wants to pay admission to ride something that rides and looks like crap?

That's funny because when I was at Kentucky Kingdom last month there were as many, if not more people riding Eye of the Storm as there were riding Storm Chaser. Two weeks later at SFOG and there was constantly a 2-3 cycle wait for Joker too.

Officially visiting next Friday and I'm pretty stoked! Excalibur has been on my "weird coaster" bucket list since I've ridden Gemini and an impulse with a holding brake has been a priority, too.

The water park looks nice as well. Per advice, I'm holding off on FL and to be honest I don't think I'll need it after reading through the thread. Uber seems like the way to get there from the airport since public trans is 3 buses and over an hour. (Getting in at 9AM and heading straight to the park)

The park has an offer for $35 dollar admission Aug 21 through Sept 1 which is a great deal. I thought about doing the 2018 Plat Pass + 1 Free admission but Kings Island costs more for a 1 day admission and I have a feeling I'll make a stop there later this year. If there's a cheaper ticket option let me know.

Any "don't miss this" advice that people often skip? I was looking through the park index and was sad to see the log flume is no longer living. The credit run route looks pretty obvious with the mouse and impulse in the mix.

Fingers crossed for decent weather!

Now for my 2¢ a week late, but better late than never...

I do think this is a good new addition, especially if the Looping Starship is going away. Plus, this closes up the back of the midway with a "backdrop" much like what the Giant wheel at Cedar point did for that oceana midway. Though, I feel this would have been a better ride for Nick Universe due to the small footprint and something larger (like the often mentioned giant Frisbee) would have been better for an outside park like Valleyfair, but if starship is going, then this is a good replacement.

Interesting that they decided to build a whole new pad for the Tilt a Whirl instead of moving it to where the Scrambler used to be. They do have quite a few great places for future rides. If they aren't going to use that helix space on Wild Thing, it would be nice if they put a few trees in there.

I still do think that the waterpark will be a 2-year project with an opening in 2019 or 2020 with Excalibur now closing mid-season next year.

I wanted the Knotts Boomerang theory to be true because it's still a pretty good ride for a smaller park, but who knows. I am anxious to see where it winds up and if Cedar Fair is or isn't keeping it.

Anyway, congrats on your new ride and the great enhancements to that midway and your future expansion.

While I'm sure that Delirious will be a fun, if unoriginal, ride; my biggest complaint is that I'm still not over the loss of the rotoshake at the Mall of America. 126082977_132f0b601f_b.thumb.jpg.38f7eaf5479d48b5116faf3c0b4fb152.jpg

RIP Mighty Axe

And then I see what Canada's Wonderland is adding.cw-capital-lumberjack-ctav2.jpg.11a70399ed55eacc7b57e1f40f15a5dc.jpg

It's just not fair.

I LOVE Super Loops! I will never understand the hate for them. Super fun rides in a tiny layout. What more could you want?

My issue with them is that I rode this exact same attraction at a cheap A$$ traveling weekend carnival 15+ years ago, and they were fine for a carnival attraction just like a fun house or zipper, but they are a tacky addition to parks that have invested millions into long lasting permanent attractions.

See, I agree with you there...

But this is where you and I are just not in sync with the GP... Peeps do dig these things, and will ride them in large numbers, And as long as that's happening, parks will continue to add them. And frankly, I think it's a solid addition, all things considered, for VF, in that particular location!

While I'm sure that Delirious will be a fun, if unoriginal, ride; my biggest complaint is that I'm still not over the loss of the rotoshake at the Mall of America. [attachment=0]126082977_132f0b601f_b.jpg[/attachment]

And then I see what Canada's Wonderland is adding.[attachment=1]cw-capital-lumberjack-ctav2.jpg[/attachment]

Those are completely different rides. Rotoshake spins as it rotates where as the new ride in Canada only flips upside down in a similar manner as a super loop