Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Re: Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Postby coasterBro » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:23 pm

So I did end up going to the park last Saturday and ended up having a pretty good day. Coaster-wise, it didn't seem like the park was prepped and ready to go as the only coaster operating at open was Zoomerang. Wildcat started testing after opening and opened maybe 15-ish mins later. Boulder Dash sent a train or two around and then didn't open till between 12:30 & 1. And Phobia didn't open till somewhere like 5:30/6. Despite that, I was able to get 8-10 rides in on BD and a lap on everything else before I had to head out.

I only rode Wildcat once, and it was in the back, but I wasn't terribly impressed. I know a lot of the older coasters tend to give airtime towards the front but not as much in the back, but the line got stupid long and stayed stupid long, and I really didn't feel like trying for a front row ride. I was a little surprised how not smooth it was for having been so substantially refurbished so recently and running new trains. Speaking of which, why don't they use the 2nd MF train they have?

Zoomerang was a Boomerang. If I never have to ride another Boomerang in my life, that'll be great.

Their Boo Blasters dark ride thing was really quite fun. It may be one of the better practical-effect shooting dark rides I've done. I rode it several times, but never could quite crack 200,000 points.

Phobia was a SkyRocket II. It was about what I expected based on riding the others, though for some reason the backwards launch into the spike didn't give me same stomach sensation that I'm used to getting from this type of element.

Boulder Dash was pretty fun. On my only other visit to the park, it went down for most of the day and I was only able to get 2 rides in. So I was glad to get to ride it a lot on this visit. I found it to be a front row or nothing type ride. I tried the 2nd to last row, and the front row of the 2nd car, and both bounced around so much that I'd rather just wait the extra couple trains for the front. The airtime is the best up there anyways. And what great airtime it was! The first 1/2 of the ride or so felt kind of like if the Beast had some airtime and was a little more intense. And the return leg was just airtime city. For some reason, though, despite both halves being as good as they are, I can't seem to mentally think of it as a top-20 coaster, despite it probably deserving to land in my top-15 or so. It's kind of weird. Maybe it's because it feels like 2 different coasters? I dunno...

I think if it's in tip-top shape, with all rows tracking well, both trains running, and that one super rough spot smoothed out, I can understand how it would be a top-5 woodie for a lot of people though. It's kind of a shame it's so hard to keep it running well though.

It'll probably be a while before I make another trip to LC--it's just hard to justify when BD is really the only draw for me. Maybe if I'm already in the area for work or something?
Current count: 699 Strict, 732 Total.
Currently taking suggestions for where to go (outside North America) and what to ride for #700.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Great report.

We live really close to this park and basically never go. I agree that it’s sort of underwhelming, though I’m glad that Boulder Dash is running better.

This park could be so much better than it is but Parques Reunidos is a trash company.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:52 pm

^^ Wildcat isn't perfect but it's at least better than what it was. I think it's a good starter coaster compared to their other offerings.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby BoulderDash » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Nice report! Glad you enjoyed Ghost Hunt, it’s one of my favorites. My high score is slightly over 400k ( have to go solo and spam the purple targets) but it’s a lot of fun trying to break high scores.

Wildcat is a lot smoother than it was, but it should have been fully re-tracked before given new trains. Lots of odd bouncy spots and shakiness. At least you don’t get a headache like you did on the old ones. And they only run one train because that’s what they do.

On BD I find any of the front cars to be ride-able but the front is the smoothest and probably my favorite. I can tolorate 6-1 and I really like the airtime back there. The ride usually runs very fast in October and in the dark it is insane. The green train is supposed to be going on within the next three weeks, so hopefully they will run two for those busy Graveyard weekends in October. They do want to fix up a few spots on the ride before October and I think they are planning to do the rough spot during the off-season.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby coasterBro » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 am

BoulderDash wrote:Nice report! Glad you enjoyed Ghost Hunt, it’s one of my favorites. My high score is slightly over 400k ( have to go solo and spam the purple targets) but it’s a lot of fun trying to break high scores.

Wildcat is a lot smoother than it was, but it should have been fully re-tracked before given new trains. Lots of odd bouncy spots and shakiness. At least you don’t get a headache like you did on the old ones. And they only run one train because that’s what they do.

On BD I find any of the front cars to be ride-able but the front is the smoothest and probably my favorite. I can tolorate 6-1 and I really like the airtime back there. The ride usually runs very fast in October and in the dark it is insane. The green train is supposed to be going on within the next three weeks, so hopefully they will run two for those busy Graveyard weekends in October. They do want to fix up a few spots on the ride before October and I think they are planning to do the rough spot during the off-season.

I didn't see any sign of the green train, but they did have a crane nearby, so maybe? I would have loved some rides after dark, but the park was only open till 8. Maybe someday...
Current count: 699 Strict, 732 Total.
Currently taking suggestions for where to go (outside North America) and what to ride for #700.

Postby BoulderDash » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:54 pm

The green train has returned on BD! Hopefully there will be two running for the busy weekends in October. They also replaced some track on the final hill and it is noticeably smoother.
7235A7E3-BF02-4963-AEA4-3025B2BDA7A1.jpeg

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:20 pm

I have no clue what just happened at Boulder Dash.

The entire queue was filled so if Lake Compounce were ever going to retry two train operations on Boulder Dash, tonight would be the night. I saw a parade of employees come up the exit. Could it be, two train operations?

"Attention those queuing for Boulder Dash, there will be a brief delay in operations but you're in for a treat. Boulder Dash is going into two train mode!"

They dispatched an empty train and I anxiously waited to see if they'd stop it on the lift or brake run after last year's mishap. Sure enough they stopped it on the lift. An employee went over to the transfer track. After 5 minutes, the lift restarted. The same empty train returned. Another guest asked what was going on.

"Change of plans."

I say this half joking, but does the park not know how to add a second train? :lol:

On the bright side, Boulder Dash was absolutely hauling and pitch black Haunted Graveyard rides are one of the best coaster experiences out there.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Good to know Boulder Dash is still running well at night.

I really wish I had the time to make it up there as October is the only time entering the park is worth the admission price as you get Boulder Dash at night and Haunted Graveyard.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:53 am

I almost always ride Boulder Dash in the front and found it smooth, but I heard a lot of riders further back calling it rough.

Postby BoulderDash » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:18 pm

^^^That is interesting, I wish I was there to see it. I am crossing my fingers for next Saturday for two train ops or this will probably be the first season since the ride opened where one train has ran all season. The green train ran fine all day Friday so it is good to go (first time it ran with guests all season).

I am guessing the protocol for transferring a train now requires an army of employees to make sure the transfer is successful, unlike past attempts. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!