Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: MisterBrow and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Postby Rai Fox » Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 am

Ouch...apart from Phobia running well (I would hope so, at 3 years old...) and more logs on Sawmill plunge, this doesn't sound great. I'll be going in a couple weeks, but it definitely sounds like this'll be the first year since 2004 that I won't be buying a season pass :?r

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:26 pm

I really enjoyed my visit back in 2014. Such a shame to see what all others are calling a yearly decline since then. I used to really want to try and make it back, but if it's getting as bad as people are saying it is, then I'm just going to focus my attention (and money) elsewhere.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun May 06, 2018 6:14 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:I used to really want to try and make it back, but if it's getting as bad as people are saying it is, then I'm just going to focus my attention (and money) elsewhere.

Same--it's crazy to think I'm saying that about a park that contains Boulder Dash. I've never been the biggest fan of the place, but that was mainly about the atmosphere (while not half bad), size and ride collection, and to an extent the operations and wait times. But by now I've read so many updates that edge it closer to "no hurry to get back" territory. In a park with Boulder Dash (which for me, unlike some folks, absolutely is at the top of my rankings).
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 pm

I stopped in tonight on the way home from Sesame Place and had a good few hours.

The first thing I needed to do was process my season pass. So naturally I went to the building that said "Season Pass Processing" but was instead directed to a general ticket booth. While I saw reports of hour waits on opening weekend, it was a painless process for me that didn't take more than 5 minutes.

Boulder Dash was running a bit sluggish. I was pretty shocked by that since it usually hauls at Haunted Graveyard and my early May rides (both times when the park is on weekend only operations). The outward leg was missing air in a few spots (most notably the boulder hill), but the return leg was as insanely fast as ever. Even a sluggish Boulder Dash ride is still a fantastic coaster. Hopefully it speeds back up in the summer months. On the plus side, it's still running very smoothly. There's only one rough spot about 2/3 of the way through the outward leg that jackhammers the whole train, but it's nothing compared to what the triple up used to do.

I also was able to try the retracked Wildcat once in the back row. I honestly don't think I had ridden Wildcat in 5-6 years since it has typically been closed during the Haunted Graveyard. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty nervous as the train traveled up the lift and the train was vibrating pretty badly. But oddly enough, the lift was the roughest part of the ride. Yes you read that right, the lift was the roughest part of the ride. The coaster still doesn't have any air, but it did have some really good laterals, particularly on the first turnaround and some of the bunny hills in the middle of the ride.

Ultimately I think the retracking paid off. Wildcat still isn't a top-notch coaster, but it is a classic attraction at the park and I appreciate the park preserving its history. The Millennium Flyers absolutely fly through the course. Even when I did visit on days with Wildcat open, I rarely rode it. Now, I'll be sure to hit it at least once per visit. My one concern is the reduced capacity with the 14 passenger trains since the park seems content to run one train on all their wooden coasters.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby OmnipotentSeal » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 am

I am visiting Lake Compounce for the first time on July 26th, but I am only able to visit for the last two hours the park is open. Does anyone know when the entrances for the rides start to close and which rides will get the longest lines? Thanks!
Please wake up. We are trying a new technique. We don't know where this will show up in your dream, but we hope this message will reach you. You are in a coma. Please wake up. Your family needs you.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:48 am

They will keep the queues for all rides open until closing. They will force you to take an available row on the coasters for the last train of the night, so definitely make sure you get at least one front row Boulder Dash ride.

All the coasters have one train operations. Your longest waits will likely be for the two woodies. Since it's a weekday, I'm guessing the line shouldn't be longer than 20 minutes for either by that point. Zoomerang and Phobia will likely be walk-ons.

The flume and Ghost Hunt can also get bad lines if you were interested in either.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

No Discernible Talent Whatsoever!

Postby King of Ka » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Any Compounce locals have opinions on crowd size for a Friday vs a Saturday? Debating which day makes more sense for an after-5 entry, especially now that BD is permanently one-train.

Also has anybody used the after-5 discount this year? They never advertise it on their site but I assume they still do it?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:56 pm

^ They have an after 5 discount? I had no clue.

If the park is open until 10 on Saturday, I would choose that. The crowds will be a little heavier, but you'll get a pitch black summer ride on Boulder Dash. It's one of the best night rides out there and it should be hauling after a hot, humid day.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby gp1086 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 pm

To confirm - there's no fast pass type of option at Lake Compounce? If I have all day (even on a summer Saturday), should I be able to ride pretty much everything, including flats and multiple rides on Boulder Dash?

Any great seafood joints in the area? Looking for some classic New England seafood even if I need to drive 30-40 minutes.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:41 pm

gp1086 wrote:To confirm - there's no fast pass type of option at Lake Compounce? If I have all day (even on a summer Saturday), should I be able to ride pretty much everything, including flats and multiple rides on Boulder Dash?

There's not that much there to make it impossible to hit everything in 11 hours. 4 is probaby sufficent to get a ride on all the big attractions.

Any great seafood joints in the area? Looking for some classic New England seafood even if I need to drive 30-40 minutes.

http://www.chowderpothartford.com

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!