TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Lake Compounce, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

August 5th, 2006 - Park announces new family car ride for 2007 season (SEE BELOW)

January 31st, 2008 - Park makes announcements for 2008 season

April 22nd, 2010 - Park adopts Lo-Q for the 2010 season

August 14th, 2012 - Park begins water park expansion and renames it Crocodile Cove

September 5th, 2012 - Lake Compounce files application to build campground

November 8th, 2012 - Holiday Lights to debut on November 30th, 2012!

January 21st, 2013 - New wave pool expansion area named "Bayou Bay"

February 7th, 2014 - iconic Pink's Hot Dogs coming to Lake Compounce

June 29th, 2014 - Bear Creek Campground set of open on July 1st

December 12, 2014 - Dino Expedition announced for 2015

July 11th, 2015 - Phobia, a Premier triple launched coaster announced for 2016

ORIGINAL POST

BRISTOL/SOUTHINGTON, CT (August 1, 2006) - Lake Compounce, America’s oldest amusement park and Connecticut’s largest water park, unveiled plans today for a new ride and other expansions for 2007 and beyond.

As part of the park’s long-term strategy for development, Lake Compounce will add Zoomers Gas ‘n’ Go, a family ride that takes parents and kids on a journey through the 1950’s in a 1956 Corvette replica. Cars will travel on an electric rail passing a gas station, traveling under a bridge, by a car wash, and finally ending at a drive-in movie theater, complete with a 50’s style concession stand.

Following the success of the 2006 season addition, Thunder ‘N’ Lightning, a thrilling ride that catapults riders to heights of 100 feet at 60 miles per hour, the park is offering Zoomers as something special for families and younger patrons.

In addition to the new ride, General Manager, Jerry Brick explained other expansions and upgrades planned for the 2007 season and totaling over $3 million. He also discussed the status of moving Mount Vernon Road, which will allow for water park expansion in the future.

“Lake Compounce is a Family Theme Park, so we think it’s important to have great new rides that can accommodate both parents and their children,” said Brick. “We are very excited about adding Zoomers Gas n’ Go. We expect to be able to accommodate between 400 – 450 riders each hour.” Groundbreaking for the new ride has already occurred and it will be ready for park visitors on opening day of next season.

Edited by larrygator

Since that article didn't go into detail about the road relocation...

Lake Compounce will likely relocate the road beginning in Spring at the cost of $3 million. It will open 8 usable acres of land which Jerry said they would like to expand their waterpark with. The expansions would happen in steps and not all at once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

At the tour of LC this weekend, it was learned that they've purchased 2 additional trains for Boulder Dash. Those trains are the old trains from Hershey's Wildcat. They did this so that they can refub the trains during the summer to save time during the off-season. For example, the Hershey trains will be refurbished this winter and run on BD in 2008. The weird thing will be that one year you have headrests and the next year you don't.

What does everyone think of this?

^ Yes, typically when rides/trains,etc are moved it's between affiliated parks.

However there's plenty of times where a park will sell old equipment/rides to other parks.

Like Holiday World's old G-trains from Legend are being used at Geaga Lake on I believe Raging Wolf Bobs.

Just like how Knoebels bought the PTC trains from Michigan's Adventure and they're not affiliated to each other! I'm sure GCI took the old trains from Hersheypark's Wildcat and told LC, "Hey we've got some used PTC's for you at a cheap price!" when they were doing the track work..

The only thing I'm worried about here is the extra weight of the headrests. This could either be really good and increase the speed.... or really bad and tare up the structure (and make the ride lag). I do believe LC will do a good job with refurbs (they do every year) and will have them running smooth. Like I said though, I'm a bit worried about the long term effects theses trains may have on the ride.

On a side note, from what I saw in March, GCI did a really nice job with the retracking/structure rebuilds.

But it's always going to be that much more... I've heard a lot of structure on Beast has had to be rebuilt because of things like the headrests increasing the running weight.