TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

From what I hear, they're supposedly putting the finishing touches on it and it should be reopened within the next week or week-and-a-half. Apparently a few ACErs got to test ride it over this past weekend. Was hoping it would have been reopened by now myself, as I was contemplating taking a mid-week drive up there, but oh well.

Wildcat's 90 years old. A classic coaster like that shouldn't ride glass smooth! It needs to be a lot less painful than it used to be, but I wouldn't want it riding like an RMC either.

An interesting bit of development for the park as it's looking to expand

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/southington/southingtonnews/10614266-154/compounce-excavation-plan-draws-opposition-from-homeowners-in-southington.html

[attachment=0]Screenshot001.jpg[/attachment]

So apparently the red area is the area marked for the expansion. Forgive me for not knowing the park's full zoning laws, but what stops the park from building on the blue strip of land?

I know LC is a smaller park and doesn't have a large budget, but a small Hyper could fit in the combined blue and red areas, providing it could make the leap over the train.

I believe they can either put a parking lot, picnic area or amusements. Not sure what amusements specifically means. But if they move

the picnic area to that field, that means they can put something where the picnic area currently is.

As a life long New Englander I finally made it to Lake Compounce for the first time today and what a wonderful little park this is. The park looks absolutely wonderful, the setting is amazing, the staff is amazing, and they have two awesome coasters.

Boulder Dash (x10). This thing is worth all the hype! Unbelievably intense, insane laterals, good airtime, paced absolutely perfectly, and an absolutely amazing setting. The night ride I got was absolutely bonkers! But my god, this thing is brutally aggressive. I don't think I could do more than 3 or 4 rides in a row, this is not a smooth coaster at all. It completely knocked the shit out of me on the first few rides before I learned to ride it defensively. That's partly why it's my #2 woodie and didn't surpass El Toro. Doesn't have quite the drop, airtime, smoothness, or re-rideability of Toro. Still an absolutely amazing coaster and forced it's way into my #3 spot.

Phobia (x8)- This ride surprised the hell out of me. This ride has amazing positive G's, 2 or 3 good pops of ejector air, and the hangtime at the top is absolutely insane. Sooo underrated but man, those trains are so tiny. I'm skinny and I had a hard time getting in and out of them lol.

Thunder N' Lightning (x4)- After today I think these S&S Scremain' Swings are my favorite flat rides. Staring straight at the pavement from that high in the air was definitely something. Had a few nice pops of air as well. Wish there were more of these around they might be the best flat ride out there!

Down Time (x2)- Standard S&S Drop tower. Nothing special.

Zoomerang (X1)- Probably the smoothest of the Boomerangs I've ridden, still not that great tho. Pretty much just for the credit

Revolution (X1)- Looked fun from the queue line. The ride smashed my balls to a pulp so that killed any enjoyment I could've gotten out of it

Twister (X1)- Lake Compounce's versions of the Tea Cups I guess?

Thunder Rapids (X1)- Probably the best of the 3 Rapids rides I've ridden got absolutely soaked and so did everyone else in my group

Ghost Hunt- I suck ass at these shooting Dark Rides but it was pretty cool I guess lol.

What a great day at the park tho. Crowds were never too bad, longest wait was Boulder Dash waited about 20-25 minutes for 3 front row rides with the last being an absolutely phenomenal ride at night. All in all LC is a wonderful park for its size and I can't wait to come back again!

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.1c7c62dcf5ac147e255fe920cdcebe9c.JPG

So underrated. Wish more parks would get these instead of 4D free flies

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.f7403ae0c5b97725d7e74f399d5e1dfc.JPG

It's fun to be standing in line and this thing just comes screaming by

IMG_0153.thumb.JPG.e80b60df6d41edf860ddd3ab7003ae7c.JPG

Millennium Force?

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.ff94d26bfea188cc83b80f81fa0a247a.JPG

Another park another boomerang

IMG_0116.thumb.JPG.dc4653a24b444d3f84c5901f627fdd73.JPG

New wood! Could use a bit more lol

Glad you enjoyed Lake Compounce!

Boulder Dash is an amazing ride. I didn't have any issues riding it 7-8 times in a row earlier this year, but that doesn't seem to be a common opinion. I just appreciate how intense that ride is and where it's located.

Finally got to Lake Compounce and rode Boulder Dash for the first time in my life on Friday the 18th. I was very surprised with how much airtime it had in both the front and back seats, not quite the Intamin or RMC ejector level, but still very strong and throwing me up into my lap bar on just about every hill. There's two spots of significant roughness; the bottom of the first drop and the bottom of the hill next to the rocks on the out run. Those spots are BRUTAL, but other than that it was fairly smooth. What a ride....its definitely an elite coaster wood or steel, and it's utterly beautiful offride and on.

Edited by PaTim

I've never noticed those two particular spots being bad, but yeah it's a very aggressive ride and that's why I love it. You are fortunate enough to have missed out on the disaster that the triple up became last year.

I saw that. I guess it had a poorly placed ledger in that triple up and the person I rode with told me it developed a serious pothole. I agree about the aggressiveness of the ride, it's great and it's something CCI never held back on.

Is Wildcat open now?

The banner on the website that previously listed the ride down for ride commissioning is gone. I'm really interested in hearing if it's finally a good ride since it was one of the worst woodies I have ever been on last time I rode it.

I've never noticed those two particular spots being bad, but yeah it's a very aggressive ride and that's why I love it. You are fortunate enough to have missed out on the disaster that the triple up became last year.

The bottom of the first drop in particular was really bad imo. Every ride I was on the left side of the train I spent the time at the bottom trying to not crack a rib. I thought the ride really was kinda rough.... still an amazing coaster I just don't see how anyone can put it ahead of something like El Toro, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wildcat opened today and I got three rides on it, two in the front and one in the second row. The MVR track work is excellent but there are a few spots that could use some work. The second half in particular is pretty shaky and the trains are not tracking that well. But the first half is mostly much improved.

The bad news is it will only be running one train for the rest of the year. The odds of them running two is very low to begin with but it is not programmed to run two yet. So expect massive lines. I waited in a sluggish line for about an hour. The ride will also be opening at 1pm for (I assume) the rest of season, so if you want to ride, be sure to wait outside the entrance before that or you will be waiting a very long time.

Also I was on the last ride of the night and it stopped on the brake run and they couldn't get it going so they evacuated us. It was very awesome!

They want to do a little bit of work on it every morning, mainly just replacing boards.

Not really an airtime ride but I guess there might be one or two spots. I think the return hills would be good for air but they need some new track there.