TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

So apparently the Compounce skyride has been closed, removed from the website and a bunch of FB posts (take that how you will) are saying its permanent. I really hope this is not true.

We rode it last weekend (day after Great Escape accident) and I absolutely loved it. I can't imagine how it ran for years w/o issue, and now that one stupid person falls out of TGE's Skyride by her own doing (and doesn't even die) and Compounce is considering closing this for good? WTF.

I really hope the ride isn't closed for good. It's easily the best sky ride out there. I was bummed out I missed it last month due to the no single rider policy they added at the start of the year.

I wonder if this is the parent company's decision or if an insurance company forced their hand. If it's the latter, I hope it doesn't start to impact ski resort chairlifts too. These rides ran safely for how many years?

^ I agree...ski lifts have been operating for years and only rarely do you hear of someone falling out of them. And just as in the case at Great Escape, it's usually due to someone f%cking around and breaking the rules.

I can see seat belts being and safety locking devices being added to both style of chair lifts. Hell, if they have safety belts in the freaking Giant Wheel at Cedar Point, I can see them easily adding them to this style of ride...unfortunately there are just too many dumb people out there in this world that can't follow simple instructions.

I talked with Jerry today, Skyride is permanently closed. He said it was his call and obviously doesn't want something like GE's incident happening there.

There has to be another solution, I would rather them cage up the cars than remove the ride. It's so unique and is one of the best rides there. Very unfortunate and upsetting.

Ridiculous. I've never been on Lake Compounce's chair lift (closed for Halloween) but the whole situation is stupid to me. If they are worried of something possibly happening wouldn't they have to close all their rides? People have died on river raft rides, scramblers, etc. you wouldn't want that kind of publicity either. -- I hope they would reconsider after things calm down a bit. These rides have been operating for how long and just now they are an issue?

This is absolutely absurd. I just rode it on Monday and really enjoyed it. It was a good way to take a rest and a breath of fresh air, as well as take in a nice view. Such a shame one dope at a different park caused Lake Compounce to make such a rash decision.

This is just idiotic. I was really looking forward to riding it again next week but it looks like I won't be able to. It also doesn't seem like Wildcat will be opening any time soon as it hasn't even begun testing yet.

Wildcat is supposed to begin testing tomorrow night, or shortly after. Will be opening around Thursday if everything goes as planned.

Hopefully enough people will complain and maybe the park will rethink their decision. Seems really insane, the ride always has a line and is very popular and unique. Would be a such a shame to see it come down.

I'm upset to see it closed since so many people loved it, but personally it never did that much for me. It's just a a sky lift.

Although no one died at Great Escape, the "what if" factor had to always be back of mind for those in management at Lake Compounce. The fall of an idiot at Lake Compounce would certainly have a more severe ending then the fall the Great Escape. Insurance premiums are sure to go up after this incident and Lark Compounce/Parque Reunidos needs to be ahead of that curve and protect both the park and all their parks for the future.

Thanks for sharing! A return trip is definitely in order once Wildcat reopens. I'm probably going to shoot for a Sunday since the park seems to be refusing to run 2 trains on Boulder Dash even on busy Saturdays.

Went to the park today Wildcat was not open and did not test at all.

Boulder Dash is still doing 1 train operations which was just idiotic as it had the longest line in the park because of this. On the other hand the ride is running incredibly this year and the night ride I got on it today was better than any other wooden I've been on, including El Toro.

This is exactly why I have no tolerance for idiocy. One moron does something impossibly stupid and now we're going to lose how many of these iconic rides? Absolutely infuriating...for a decision to be this bad, it had to have been made by the insurance companies.

Went to the park today Wildcat was not open and did not test at all.

Boulder Dash is still doing 1 train operations which was just idiotic as it had the longest line in the park because of this. On the other hand the ride is running incredibly this year and the night ride I got on it today was better than any other wooden I've been on, including El Toro.

Because of how much the ride costs to maintain, they're only going with 1 train to help reduce wear. It stinks, but that's the park's rationale.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting bit of development for the park as it's looking to expand

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/southington/southingtonnews/10614266-154/compounce-excavation-plan-draws-opposition-from-homeowners-in-southington.html

Screenshot001.jpg.2cf31b48e685a116299af4da78ac8304.jpg

So apparently the red area is the area marked for the expansion. Forgive me for not knowing the park's full zoning laws, but what stops the park from building on the blue strip of land?

I know LC is a smaller park and doesn't have a large budget, but a small Hyper could fit in the combined blue and red areas, providing it could make the leap over the train.

It sounds like the track is fine. From everyone's report, it sounds like it's one train that is running terribly while the other is running great as usual.

That's good to hear on one hand. But on the other, I'm looking to make a trip to LC later this year and it sucks knowing there's only a 50/50 chance that the main reason for driving up there will be enjoyable.

New Wildcat and Phobia look like great additions, but even more so than what is happening on that new plot of land I am interested whether they can get Boulder Dash's issues ironed out.