Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

P. 93: Super Nintendo World preview! Mario Kart confirmed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Nintendo land might not be for you. :lmao: As much fun as USH was, I would love to go to the Japanese version. One of these days, we do plan to get there.
Top Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Phoenix 3. El Toro 4. Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. Skyrush 3. Magnum XL-200 4. Diamondback 5. Maverick
Top Parks: 1. Disneyland 2. Dollywood 3. Silver Dollar City 4. Knoebels 5. Holiday World

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby vistaway » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:14 pm

I survived a typically busy day at USJ on Monday, but still managed to get on everything I wanted (although none of the Cool Japan attractions, which all had 200-300 minute waits). Here are some photos.
2017-03-19_18-42-40_200.jpeg
Pre-opening crowds at 7:30 am or so. The park opened at 7:50 am - 40 minutes before posted opening time. Get there early!
2017-03-19_20-08-57_485.jpeg
My first time trying hot Butterbeer (I wasn't a fan)
2017-03-19_20-39-24_064.jpeg
Jaws just came back from a rehab and was looking great!
2017-03-19_20-52-10_901.jpeg
These nets under Flying Dinosaur look terrible
2017-03-19_20-53-00_420.jpeg
Nets everywhere
2017-03-19_21-02-18_766.jpeg
Busy day!
2017-03-19_21-09-04_018.jpeg
Part of the 210 minute queue for Dino. Single Rider was 190 min.
2017-03-19_21-23-06_691.jpeg
One year already?
2017-03-19_21-34-09_139.jpeg
Turkey leg popcorn was awesome!
2017-03-19_21-51-06_476.jpeg
Minions Park is almost complete.
2017-03-20_02-32-54_365.jpeg
A Titan in the Cool Japan area. DragonQuest was also open, but I didn't check it out.
2017-03-20_03-08-10_762.jpeg
It's hard to read, but that's a 3 hour queue for SINGLE RIDERS!
2017-03-20_08-14-11_274 (2017-03-22T12_03_30.900).jpeg
Want to be able to cast spells without a mob of people? Wait until after park close. We played around a bit in Hogsmeade after the 9pm closure. The staff didn't seem bothered as they had not cleared the area yet.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby JordyC » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 am

vistaway wrote:I survived a typically busy day at USJ on Monday, but still managed to get on everything I wanted (although none of the Cool Japan attractions, which all had 200-300 minute waits). Here are some photos.

Thanks for the photos! The nets underneath FD look indeed very.. special
That are some insane wait times! As of now, I will never complain again when there's a wait time of an hour here in Europe. :lmao:
<< Quality Over Quantity >>

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Goliath - Walibi Holland 8. Red Force - Ferrari Land 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 156 || Parks: 31

Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura Park || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne ||Efteling || Liseberg || Walibi Holland

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 am

Was it a holiday or something in Japan?
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Looty » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:49 am

God! I'm really itching to plan a weekend trip to USJ in the next month or so, but every TR I see from this park lately has 3+ hour waits for everything. Sure there is EP, but I can't be bothered spending the money to go when I know I'll get 1 ride on JPFD and have to also battle horrendous crowds. Yikes!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:07 am

^Honestly it's a park where you will always have to accept most rides are 1 and done, 2 on a couple at the most if you plan your day smart, get there early and stay until the end as well as using the express pass and some single rider lines (although they can be just as busy). It amazes me how much busier each year gets, they add rides which increase the overall capacity but the attendance skyrockets with it. My first trip I went I got fast-pass 7 at opening. The next year, sold out before park opened and I skipped Harry Potter Land not wanting to fight crowds and looking at these TR's it seems far busier even now. Even just adding backwards trains made the lines were insane and still are.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby vistaway » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm

It was a holiday Monday (spring equinox) but the crowds in the preceding weeks were supposedly even higher due to spring breaks. And Jaws was down the previous week as well, further reducing park capacity, so I wanted to wait it out. When Minions opens, that will surely help, as it's a double theatre (old BTTF), but yeah, that park needs a lot more people-eaters! Nintendo World will help (3 attractions) but I think it will drive crowds further.

My plan of attack worked pretty well...it went like this:

- bought Express 4 passes (Flying Dino, Hollywood Dream, Backdraft and Jaws) ahead of time...which was good, as all EPs were sold out prior to park opening
- arrived an hour before posted opening
- entered at 7:50 am (40 min before posted opening)
- ran to Harry Potter and rode Forbidden Journey - ~30 min wait
- rode Jaws on standby - ~25 min wait
- rode Flying Dino using Express Pass - 10 min wait
- Spiderman standby - 130 min wait (posted was 150)
- T23D standby - 30 min wait
- Backdraft standby - 10 min wait (didn't need the EPs)
- Hollywood Dream via EP - 10 min wait
- Jurassic Park standby - 30 min wait
- Jaws via EP - 5 min wait
- Forbidden Journey (had to get a HP land timed entry ticket earlier in the day to get back into the land) - standby with 30 min wait

I had my wife and two kids, so this was not in ride warrior mode. We watched streetmosphere shows, strolled the kids' area, shopped, and ate lunch at Finnegan's (table service), plus the wand show (I was chosen!) and playing with wand magic in Hogsmeade.

So it's still possible to get a lot done despite the crowds, but I think an Express Pass - even a cheaper 4-ride one - will make the day so much better.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:00 am

Looty wrote:God! I'm really itching to plan a weekend trip to USJ in the next month or so, but every TR I see from this park lately has 3+ hour waits for everything. Sure there is EP, but I can't be bothered spending the money to go when I know I'll get 1 ride on JPFD and have to also battle horrendous crowds. Yikes!

If you can't be bothered to spend the money on some sort of EP then you really shouldn't go. You'll have a much worse time and miss out on stuff.

The park is busy most of the time now, skip two dinners out and invest in the passes!

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am

SharkTums wrote:
Looty wrote:God! I'm really itching to plan a weekend trip to USJ in the next month or so, but every TR I see from this park lately has 3+ hour waits for everything. Sure there is EP, but I can't be bothered spending the money to go when I know I'll get 1 ride on JPFD and have to also battle horrendous crowds. Yikes!

If you can't be bothered to spend the money on some sort of EP then you really shouldn't go. You'll have a much worse time and miss out on stuff.

The park is busy most of the time now, skip two dinners out and invest in the passes!

Quoted for truth. I bought passes and don't think I could've done nearly anything without them! Wonderful park though - You can still enjoy the park even when it's crowded!
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby cwonderland » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 am

vistaway wrote:It was a holiday Monday (spring equinox) but the crowds in the preceding weeks were supposedly even higher due to spring breaks.

So it's still possible to get a lot done despite the crowds, but I think an Express Pass - even a cheaper 4-ride one - will make the day so much better.

Great trip report and plan of attack vistaway! Visiting USJ for the first time in May.

I’m planning to go May Wed 10 or Thurs 11 and hoping to get EPs from the Japanese version of the USJ website as soon I arrive in Japan (Apr 27). Going for the EP 4 (HP, Flying Dino, Spidey, Jaws) but also interested in the Evangelion XR ride. Anyone know if they’ll be sold out by then and if I should try and get EPs sooner?

Expecting crowds to be the usual craziness, even though Golden Week will be over and school is back on… My travel buddy isn’t the biggest ride person – any hope in heck I can get rides on Backdrop, HP, and JP without EPs or a 3hour wait? Still planning on getting there early and EPs but a guy can dream…

Anyone confirm if Flying Dino actually has a single rider line now? I’d love to get on it more than my solitary EP turn and not have to wait 3hrs…too naïve?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!