Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

P. 93: Super Nintendo World preview! Mario Kart confirmed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:14 am

DirkFunk wrote:
A.J. wrote:I mean, it's a single piece of concept art for an area that's targeted to open by the summer of 2020. Yippee. :p

It looks like they're going to stuff as many properties as they reasonably can in the space. You can see what appears to be an ornate bridge leading to some sort of castle on the right underneath the graphics of Mario and Luigi, that's presumably Hyrule Castle because Peach and Bowser's castles are already very visible in the key art.

But, as expected, it looks fun, happy and colorful. My kind of place!

Someone did a pretty indepth analysis of the art, and the bridge and attached pyramid appear to be lifted from the desert areas of Mario 3D World.
Yeah, the concept art looks pretty much all Mario. While Zelda is a huge franchise, it has a mostly cult following while Mario is extremely mainstream and what most associate Nintendo with. While I'd love to see Hyrule Castle, I doubt it'll happen.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:40 am

DirkFunk wrote:Someone did a pretty indepth analysis of the art, and the bridge and attached pyramid appear to be lifted from the desert areas of Mario 3D World.

GameXplain I'm assuming. Less work for me, then. :lmao:

That's interesting then. If they're not including other franchises, why would they call it "Super Nintendo World"? If they have a huge pyramid over on the right, some sort of major Mario attraction in the back, Bowser's Castle on the left and Peach's castle in the front...I realize it's concept art but that seems like it will take up a lot of space.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby KingRCT3 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:32 pm

They confirmed it would not be only Mario.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:42 pm

A.J. wrote:That's interesting then. If they're not including other franchises, why would they call it "Super Nintendo World"? If they have a huge pyramid over on the right, some sort of major Mario attraction in the back, Bowser's Castle on the left and Peach's castle in the front...I realize it's concept art but that seems like it will take up a lot of space.

A.J. wrote:I mean, it's a single piece of concept art for an area that's targeted to open by the summer of 2020. Yippee.

Going off your own point, this is a piece of concept art for a project that's more than three years from being realized - do you all really think this is some final, definite plan for the area and not an artist's representation to get the general public excited about what's to come?
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:48 pm

I don't think it's a finalized plan, but I definitely think it looks like an illustration on top of a properly-scaled 3D scene. I highly doubt that they're only in the initial concept phase at this point. I'm really just going off of the usual assumptions of how much space dark ride buildings take up, how big the rumored space is, etc..
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:38 pm

I would love to see a Zelda ride or anything involving the Zelda franchise for that matter. But let's be honest...I think everyone knows there's going to be a "MadWorld" or "No More Heroes" shooting/slashing/chainsaw destroying dark ride. I mean, that makes perfect sense for Nintendo, right? Am I the only one who enjoyed those games on the Wii?

Jimmy "Or A Boy and his Blob interactive puzzle solving ride would be awesome" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: Ether Houston across from the Astrodome or at SFSTL riding the Screamin' Eagle

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:10 am

I love this expansion! I personally think a Luigi's Mansion dark ride would be a good fit to this area.
Coaster Count: 96
1990's: "ugh. I hope we don't get a Vekoma"
2010: "I really hope we get a Vekoma!"

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:37 pm

For a limited time Universal Studios Japan will be adding a "Dragon Quest" IP that appears to revolve around exploring a dungeon and fighting monsters. Since the run is expected to start on March 17th, the park should be releasing more details soon.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/12/20/business/usjs-osaka-theme-park-also-dragon-quest-attraction/#.WFm_F1y51jg

USJ’s Osaka theme park to get ‘Dragon Quest’ attraction
Dec 20, 2016

Amid work on attractions based on the mega-hit game series “Super Mario Bros.,” the operator of Universal Studios Japan said Monday that the amusement park plans to re-create the world of another popular game series, “Dragon Quest,” in March.

USJ Co. said visitors will be able to explore a dungeon and fight monsters, just like in the game, at the new attraction that will open on March 17 for a limited time.

The first of the “Dragon Quest” series, produced by Tokyo-based Square Enix Co., debuted in 1986, and has been one of Japan’s most popular role-playing games. The series has seen worldwide sales of 66 million units.

USJ said it has provided a number of attractions in collaboration with popular entertainment titles, including “Harry Potter” and “Jurassic Park,” with a high level of reality, so it is confident it can create a “real ‘Dragon Quest'” attraction that visitors can enjoy.

Details about the new attraction will be announced later, according to USJ.

The Osaka-based amusement park is also planning to open a Nintendo-themed area that will feature characters from Nintendo’s games, including “Super Mario,” by 2020.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Sweet! For the uninitiated, Dragon Quest is made by the same company that makes Final Fantasy, and like its more famous sister series, was a Nintendo exclusive in the 80s and early 90s. Later entries have been on both Nintendo and Sony consoles. Whereas Final Fantasy often explores mature and apocalyptic themes, Dragon Quest sticks to more classic dragonslaying. It's a very family friendly series, and consequently a great choice for a theme park.

I wouldn't expect it to come to the US parks, though; Dragon Quest has a niche following here, but it's a cultural phenomenon in Japan.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:15 pm

^ I don't (or didn't) follow any of this, and I still miss Universal Japan, after two visits with TPR. :sad:

And so is Hello Kitty in Japan, among other cultural phenoms. :wink:
hello-kitty-house.jpg
"Somewhere in Japan..."
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!