Heide Park Discussion Thread

P. 105: Colossus will be closed for the 2017 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Heide Park Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:19 am

dchang11 wrote:Call Rocky Mountain Construction. They helped build these Intamin woodies. Maybe they can help.

I really hope Colossos can retain the same layout since the ride when maintained sounds amazing.

It would just be wrong to me to RMC a freaking Intamin plug and play.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby cookiex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 am

Taron wrote:Speaking of good news I just realized that it hasn't been mentioned here that Lady Moon (Huss Flipper) and Aqua Spin (Huss Top Spin) have been shut down since the 1st of August and the park has confirmed, that the rides will be removed from the park. Time consuming repairs and lack of parts have been given as reasons.

German Source

You may now continue with your love declarations for Merlin :butt:

I remember seeing Aqua Spin down a lot in the last two years (the park has an app that lets you see wait times and ride closures which I often check in on when I'm bored) and it was still closed for winter maintenance when I visited the park. Since Merlin killed Ripsaw at Alton last year I guess it was only a matter of time.

It's really a shame too since the area with all the flat rides is one of the nicer spots in the park. At least it's themed cohesively with a decent atmosphere.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 89

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby mr.sugar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 am

cookiex wrote:
Taron wrote:Speaking of good news I just realized that it hasn't been mentioned here that Lady Moon (Huss Flipper) and Aqua Spin (Huss Top Spin) have been shut down since the 1st of August and the park has confirmed, that the rides will be removed from the park. Time consuming repairs and lack of parts have been given as reasons.

German Source

You may now continue with your love declarations for Merlin :butt:

I remember seeing Aqua Spin down a lot in the last two years (the park has an app that lets you see wait times and ride closures which I often check in on when I'm bored) and it was still closed for winter maintenance when I visited the park. Since Merlin killed Ripsaw at Alton last year I guess it was only a matter of time.

It's really a shame too since the area with all the flat rides is one of the nicer spots in the park. At least it's themed cohesively with a decent atmosphere.

Its actually very interesting (and sad) to compare how many rides Merlin killed within lets say 4 years and how many they added (and what the additions were like).

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TheoB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:46 am

mr.sugar wrote:I cannot get rid of the feeling they want to kill Merlin slowly and surely. Btw, I heard Thorpe and Heide have quite low attendance this year. Not sure if true, but if so, it´s well deserved.

Not sure about Heide Park but Thorpe Park has noticeably lower attendance this year, although some days it has been packed unexpectedly generally it has been lower than average. I completely understand it with Heide Park losing their biggest coaster plus other rides - which is surprising with the major Ghostbusters dark ride opening.

Thorpe Park I understand why it happened because of Derren Brown's PR Disaster Train opening (well not opening mostly!) but they have tried to improve it and like its been much more reliable this year. At least Thorpe Park has got flat rides unlike every other park (I know slammer shut but it just wasn't worth keeping it never had a queue.)

MrSum1_55 wrote:If they remove the coaster, a large part of me hopes that this kicks them financially. I hope that at least Merlin learns their lesson from this. If not, then will they just keep removing iconic coasters? Are Colossus (Thorpe) or even Nemesis next?

I don't think ANYONE would mind if Colossus went but while a lack of maintenance is clear the whole coaster is a goner because its sinking into the lake slowly which is something they simply cannot do much about. Nemesis they are very clearly intending to keep however because of the investments over the last 2 closed seasons plus the uproar if they removed it would be massive.

I hope Merlin does decide to invest and fix Colossos but i really doubt it because it just isn't worth the 10mil+ pricetag. Its strange how Merlin run there parks and it seems to vary a lot, the only similarity i can see is that all the thrill parks have a major attraction shut with no real signs of it reopening in the near future, Loggers Leap at Thorpe, Colossos at Heide Park, Sequoia Adventure at Gardaland and Nemesis Sub Terra at Alton Towers. (+ Charlie and the chocolate factory at Alton as an added extra!)

Also with Aquaspin the lack of spare parts is quite ironic since Ripsaw was literally shipped over to the park last/this year to be used for parts after shutting at Alton Towers. Whats surprising is how Ramases Revenge still operates at the family park even after a high profile incident a couple of years ago plus barely attracting a crowd on the busiest of days. :lmao:
Helix|Balder|Wildfire|Nemesis|Furius Baco

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Jason Maier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 am

Is it less complicated to re-track a pre-fabricated coaster than a "built on the spot" coaster?

If so, I could see Colossos getting Topper Tracked by RMC . . . . .

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Rill'o'beily » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am

TheoB wrote:Also with Aquaspin the lack of spare parts is quite ironic since Ripsaw was literally shipped over to the park last/this year to be used for parts after shutting at Alton Towers. Whats surprising is how Ramases Revenge still operates at the family park even after a high profile incident a couple of years ago plus barely attracting a crowd on the busiest of days. :lmao:

"Lack of spare parts" is Merlin for "Spare parts aren't cheap enough" as let's say if Ripsaws parts were unusable, HUSS still sells spare parts, heck they even still make the classic Top Spin!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Chasehat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 am

Really hope something can be done to save Colossus. It'd be so awful to see an awesome Intamin woodie bite the dust.
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Superman the Ride 3. Boulder Dash 4. Wicked Cyclone 5. Nitro
6. Fury 325 7. Afterburn 8. Intimidator 9. Kingda Ka 10. Phobia

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm

robbalvey wrote:
I just feel like parks all over the world are making incredibly stupid decisions lately but this all just fits perfectly into society devolving into Idiocracy.
Sad... :cry:

"Idiocracy!" Best reference ever to society (as we now know it). And to those who've never seen the film Idiocracy, track it down on DVD. My first viewing some years ago, I called it "hilarious." Today, it's ascended to "poignantly" hilarious." You'll laugh till you cry...and cry....and cry... :omg:

P.S. Not sure if I'm serious or not, but I just went to GoFundMe and was amazed at how much $$$ has been raised by a variety of groups. Hmmm...would Europeans, fans around the world, et al, fight to save a favorite coaster?? (Maybe not to the tune of "millions of dollars"....but.....)

Alice

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby 3Mutts » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Merlin seems to be running their parks alot like Six Flags did in the late 90s and early 2000s, buying a lot of new parks and neglecting the ones they already have. Shame a freaking Intamin Plug and Play may be scraped and I thought Universal for removing Dragons Challenge for a stupid dark ride would be the worst decision ever
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby ericthewanderer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm

If Heide Park wants to get rid of Colossus so much,could they please send it to SFA?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!