Heide Park Discussion Thread

P. 105: Colossus will be closed for the 2017 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Heide Park Discussion Thread

Postby MrSum1_55 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:12 pm

robbalvey wrote:Honestly, I can't decide which is dumber...

Universal removing a perfectly good roller coaster that still ranks very high on guest satisfaction...

or

Merlin not seeming to care that one of the world's highest rated roller coasters needs regular maintenance.

I just feel like parks all over the world are making incredibly stupid decisions lately but this all just fits perfectly into society devolving into Idiocracy.

And as I said above... "surprising no one..."

Sad... :cry:

This may not have been a rhetorical question, but I think I can answer this.

At least Dragons has some logic to it from a financial standpoint. Harry Potter is Universal's main cash cow, so wanting to put a dark ride there makes some sense. However, Heide Park is trying to be a thrill park. It makes no sense for a thrill park to literally let their most iconic roller coaster rot.

Say what you will about Six Flags, but at least they know what they are. Six Flags seems to understand that they do need to maintain their best coasters (if minimally). Heck, even Six Flags America, the butt of every Six Flags joke, still keeps their wood coasters in descent shape.

Remember a few years ago when there was a scare that Six Flags would buy Busch Parks? Given Merlin's reputation, I am not sure which chain would be worse to end up in.

For the record, when I was in Germany, I spent two days in Phantasialand, two days in Europa Park, one day at Holiday Park, and one day in Hansa Park. I skipped Heide Park altogether. I could have easily gone too, but I had little interest in going to a park that would feel like another corporate park in America. (At least with its best coaster closed). Luckily for people in the area, Hansa Park still has plenty of charm, and it seems to be showing a promising future. (As long as Merlin does not touch that park).

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Wow, I knew it was down this year but I didn't realize that they'd closed it in July of last year.

I got really freaking lucky then, I rode it just a month earlier. I was super confused when I got off of it, because I prepared myself for another El Toro and was not at all prepared for how hellishly painful the ride was. Or maybe I was confused by how far my brain stem had just been pushed nearly out the top of my head.

I was also extremely shocked and confused by how badly run the park was, especially since it came at the end of a trip where I visited several other German and French parks, so you can imagine how obvious and glaring the contrast was going from a Plopsa Park to a this one. More than half the food eateries were closed and I typically eat pretty healthy, so fried-to-death American-style park food doesn't sit well with me, and that was all they had to offer. Everything was staggered opening with one train, even Krake.

I have no idea what the park or the company's financial situation is, but the fact that the article posted says they have to "go to the investors" (paraphrasing) or whatever, sounds to me like they really run the park on a minimal budget, which never makes sense to me. It causes such a downward spiral.

Please fix this, Merlin and Heide. Even while I was being savagely beaten, I could still tell it was El Toro good. Thank you, sir, now may I please have another ride?

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby mr.sugar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 am

Heide Park was the first park where I realized how much I love Rollercoasters. It all happened after I took my first ride on Colossos. It has quite special meaning for me. I used to love that park. But then I visited it two more times and it was worse and worse each visit. Thorpe Park is the same, it could be quite nice park, but the way they run it is obnoxious. I mean, Thorpe Park is infamous for having problems with keeping rides up and running too.

Demolishing Colossos will very likely remove Heide Park from my list alltogether. Seeing how Merlin stands right now, I doubt they would be able to replace it with something as good and as big as Colossos. Without it, there is pretty much no reason to go there. Flug der daemonen is fine, but that´s it...

And yes, I do think this is Merlins fault, because they simply do not maintain their rides well. Their policy regarding maintaining rides is pretty much visible, especially in Thorpe Park (wondering, how long will the Colosuss last, it doesn´t look healthy too). I haven´t seen much coasters going this bad within only 15 years...

Anyway, planning my next trip to Phantasialand again, as that is the park where they clearly care about everything...

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 am

^^I rode it last year, too, and while it was noticeably bumpier than when I'd first ridden it (back in 2008), it was still great.

Postby mr.sugar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 am

cfc wrote:^^I rode it last year, too, and while it was noticeably bumpier than when I'd first ridden it (back in 2008), it was still great.

That´s right. You could feel something is wrong with it. Even if you rode it in 2015, you would feel the difference (at least riding in the last row). A friend of mine who was with me last year rode it once and said "never more".

Anyway, I just have feeling that all Merlins park are going downhill. I just looked at the ride list of Heide Park and cannot get rid of that feeling that park is going to turn out into family park without real big and adrenaline attractions.

Anyway, yea I don´t think I will visit Merlin parks anytime soon and I hope they seriously re-consider this. Although as you can imagine, for them it´s about nothing, but money, so I wouldn´t be worried to say Colossos is gone already :(

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby dchang11 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 am

Call Rocky Mountain Construction. They helped build these Intamin woodies. Maybe they can help.

Postby mr.sugar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:36 am

dchang11 wrote:Call Rocky Mountain Construction. They helped build these Intamin woodies. Maybe they can help.

How? Honestly, the only problem here is the money. And that they let it to get this far. Merlin is soulless corporation, so they rly don´t care about their rides as Phantasialand/Europapark or some other mostly family owned parks do.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:10 am

If they remove the coaster, a large part of me hopes that this kicks them financially. I hope that at least Merlin learns their lesson from this. If not, then will they just keep removing iconic coasters? Are Colossus (Thorpe) or even Nemesis next?

Postby mr.sugar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 am

MrSum1_55 wrote:If they remove the coaster, a large part of me hopes that this kicks them financially. I hope that at least Merlin learns their lesson from this. If not, then will they just keep removing iconic coasters? Are Colossus (Thorpe) or even Nemesis next?

Honestly, looking at Colossos, It wouldn´t surprise me. I was there last year and when we came there, my friends were like "it´s shame, it must have been great coaster" thinking it´s actualy old and disfunctional.It rly does look that bad, I would think the same if I didn´t know a lot about the park from the internet :D.

I hope they keep nemessis (at this point, probably only one attraction worth mentioning from Merlin´s portfolio), they might do that, since it seems like the only ride they showed some love recently. Even though, they also re-themed colossos last year... :D

I cannot get rid of the feeling they want to kill Merlin slowly and surely. Btw, I heard Thorpe and Heide have quite low attendance this year. Not sure if true, but if so, it´s well deserved.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:17 am

MrSum1_55 wrote:This may not have been a rhetorical question

It was.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!