TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Heide Park Discussion Thread

To be honest, I'm sort of shocked they're investing that much into Colossos as opposed to purchasing a new ride. I would have thought the latter would be more marketable.

They're a Merlin park now, trust me, they'll find some horrible way to market it!

Perhaps it will be another WICKER MAN!!!!

Since this is a coaster that should be marketed as extreme, watch them market this as a family coaster. All I can think of is how Morey's said their renovated SLC was smooth enough for your grandmother.

This is good news! Would hate to see a massive Intamin get ripped out.

Obviously we know they've recently been replacing some of El Toros track sections, just as we've seen a few times in the past but I wonder if/hope Great Adventure is keeping an eye on this whole situation w/ Colossus.

Do we know how much or little maintenance Merlin performed on Colossos? If Colossos deteriorated in 2016 (15 years after opening), the next one that should become rough if it's inherent to the design would be Balder. Balder opened in 2003, so 2018 is the 15 year mark. But as of September of last year, Balder was perfectly smooth outside of a minor bump here and there riding in the back. It's still smoother than 90-95% of wooden coasters.

The world needs MORE Intamin woodies, not less.

It really is remarkable to think that only four Intamin woodies were ever built between 2001 and 2008. I was sure we would be seeing a lot more of these. Balder for example has a perfect layout for cloning!

I can only assume that cost has been a huge factor. I see for example that Balder cost twice as much as it's neighbor Thundercoaster a couple of hours up the road. This despite Thundercoaster being a terrain coaster, while Balder was built on flat terrain. Of course we know that Balder is a far superior ride, but one can definitely understand parks are not willing to spend that amount of money with much cheaper options available.

Oh wow, this is such awesome news. I had my hopes set to absolute zero ever since the announcement of the issues and I was almost 100% convinced that they'd be taking Colossos out back to be shot. I just hope the work is being done by Intamin or a company that can return it to it's original state. I also hope that the "improvements" won't alter the layout too much, since this really is an amazing coaster.

Maybe they'll add an elevator lift and market it as an insane new thrilling feature?

They decided to keep the best attraction in the park and at half the cost of what it would take to purchase a ride of similar caliber to replace it? What an amazingly complex decision.

Hopefully from now on they will maintain it better and this will influence the chain's future.

This is good news! Would hate to see a massive Intamin get ripped out.

Obviously we know they've recently been replacing some of El Toros track sections, just as we've seen a few times in the past but I wonder if/hope Great Adventure is keeping an eye on this whole situation w/ Colossus.

Do we know how much or little maintenance Merlin performed on Colossos? If Colossos deteriorated in 2016 (15 years after opening), the next one that should become rough if it's inherent to the design would be Balder. Balder opened in 2003, so 2018 is the 15 year mark. But as of September of last year, Balder was perfectly smooth outside of a minor bump here and there riding in the back. It's still smoother than 90-95% of wooden coasters.

Colossos was the prototype and had a different track design than the later coasters. Apparently, with the prototype track design it's not possible to exchange individual sections of the track (don't really understand why). So they have to exchange the entire track even though some sections may not warrant that yet. With the later track design, it is possible to exchange individual track sections, thus the other Intamin prefabs propably will not ever face a problem of this magnitude.

I wouldn't mind if they would add some of those aggressive turns like those in El Toro's finale...

Since I consider myself an enthusiast only since 2016 (where I visited Djur's Sommerland for the first time nd went back to Heide Park after 10 years) I just then started to watch POVs of other coasters, learned about most of the classics and the acclaimed rides around the world and also started to compare rides to each other.

I rode Colossos back in 2001 and then again in 2006, in 2016 it was already closed since the visit was during their Halloween event. Since knowing about El Toro I always considered it to be a better version of Colossos (while Balder and T-Express have vastly different layouts), those turns in the finale just look sick.

But, being honest to myself, I doubt that they would change the layout in such a big magnitude. But, again, I wouldn't mind if they did.

In general, I look forward to go back there in 2019, and I'm also looking forward to the construction updates during 2018. After 2016 and their sloppy information job regarding the ride's future I had no desire to visit again.

with the prototype track design it's not possible to exchange individual sections of the track (don't really understand why)

That's some interesting information, I didn't know that!

I'll be in Hamburg in mid-May. Would it be worth it to visit Heide Park without Colossus?

Go to Hansa Park instead, it’s way better and Kärnan is amazing

That it is! I went there last September, actually. There were probably less than 50 people in the park, no joke, and we rode Kärnan roughly 15 times

I had the same experience two years ago, it was absolutely dead

• 1 month later...
It will start soon! From the middle of April, the first rail work will begin. The old Kerto wooden rails are being removed along the entire track (1.5 km). We will keep you up to date with photos and video. Stay tuned!

29216410_10155316735601629_2044584791457660928_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d8677ef2b07a7ab5d15ec0350b8f0950&oe=5B4390FD

Source

Good to hear that work will finally begin on fixing it. An Intamin Pre-Fab shouldn't go to waste.

Edited by cookiex

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I came across this photo in the link you posted... And holy crap!!

9515574d1525263297-2019-neuheit-wiedereroeffnung-colossos-komplettes-retracking-heide-park-img_4620a.jpg

The track on the lift hill though...

I came across this photo in the link you posted... And holy crap!!

9515574d1525263297-2019-neuheit-wiedereroeffnung-colossos-komplettes-retracking-heide-park-img_4620a.jpg

The track on the lift hill though...

I was there shortly before they closed it. Will try to look after some pictures to see if the lift hill was that bad back in 2016. I think it wasn't, but the ride itself was very rough.

• 1 month later...

Renovation of spectacular wooden roller coaster Colossos has started

210618af.jpg.64ce95260795ddc09c975a9c75c6b548.jpg

The German theme park Heide Park has started with the renovation of the giant wooden coaster Colossos. The rollercoaster has been SBNO for two years. It will cost 12 million euros to get the 50 meter tall attraction operational again.

At this moment, the old track is being dismantled. Heide Park works with two specialized companies, RCS and Fa Cordes, for this job. In April 2019, the spectacular renovation must be completed.

Colossos, built by the Swiss company Intamin, opened in 2001. The original ride was good for a top speed of 110 kilometers per hour. It is not yet clear whether the wooden roller coaster will go equally fast.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Source