The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:
Ron101 wrote:SFMM has a hard time hiring employees. Fright Fest is extremely understaffed even on Saturdays. They also have signs all over the park saying to apply because they don’t get enough applicants during the Fall, Winter, and Spring operating months.

That's the consequence of intentionally primarily hiring high schoolers on summer break because they accept being paid next to nothing for labor-heavy positions nobody else would accept that wage for. The Santa Clarita area has incredibly low unemployment right now. The high schoolers are in school, and there isn't hardly anybody else around who would accept what little SFMM offers.

Come on, minimum wage in LA county for companies with more than 25 employees is currently $13 an hour. They have to be paying that at least!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Currently employees at Six Flags Magic Mountain get paid at least $13.25 (LA County minimum wage), which ironically is more than what base employees at Knott's make, and was more than what base Disney employees made (pre union CBA ratification).

I won't get into a debate on what necessitates higher than minimum wage/what a skilled vs unskilled job is, but I will say this: Magic Mountain has a huge employee culture problem. Clearly that problem does not affect the business model Six Flags is pursuing however, so until it does it will be business as usual.

It is what it is.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Twistedtatsu805 wrote:Come on, minimum wage in LA county for companies with more than 25 employees is currently $13 an hour. They have to be paying that at least!

Very few SFMM front line employees work full time, and the above mentioned employee culture problem is rather well known. All these things contribute to a result of SFMM having a hard time hiring employees.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:20 am

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:
Twistedtatsu805 wrote:Come on, minimum wage in LA county for companies with more than 25 employees is currently $13 an hour. They have to be paying that at least!

Very few SFMM front line employees work full time, and the above mentioned employee culture problem is rather well known. All these things contribute to a result of SFMM having a hard time hiring employees.

Magic mountain just doesn’t offer anything competitive for entry level jobs when it comes to benefits. Many other entry level service jobs offer stuff like tuition reimbursement, health insurance if you stick around, paid time off, annual raises, and so on...magic? Free park tickets is all they offer.

That being said, their business model works for them. So long as they can stay away from running up massive debts again, they’ll stay a successful company.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:56 am

Even worse, employees don't get any holiday pay at all.

This December 25th will be the first time the park has been open on Christmas day (that I know of) and quite a few supervisors and managers are already expecting there to be massive callouts. Should make for an interesting day...

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby VTown661 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:46 pm

MagicMountainMan wrote:Even worse, employees don't get any holiday pay at all.

This December 25th will be the first time the park has been open on Christmas day (that I know of) and quite a few supervisors and managers are already expecting there to be massive callouts. Should make for an interesting day...

If I'm on schedule I shall be there as I been there done that Christmas day stuff. It will be drop dead slow early but should pickup around 2 as people look for crapola to do. And the park is open until 9pm. Maybe I could do a give away of a comp ticket on that day if I have any left.
At times i will do random acts of kindness.

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Holiday pay isn't a thing? Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear I got time and a half when I worked on Thanksgiving. Then again it has been like 15 years since I worked at the park, so it's completely possible I'm wrong.
--Allen

Postby MagicMountainMan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 pm

AllenA07 wrote:

Holiday pay isn't a thing? Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear I got time and a half when I worked on Thanksgiving. Then again it has been like 15 years since I worked at the park, so it's completely possible I'm wrong.

Nope! Maybe it was a while ago, but not anymore. It's the only theme park in the LA area that doesn't pay holiday pay.*

*The only hourly employees at Magic Mountain that holiday pay are the full time union maintenance workers. Even the non full time union workers don't get it.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Got a pretty cool picture tonight or the Voodoo Nights show with the Spacex launch in the background
IMG_20181007_192532302.jpg

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Skittles » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I just recently got back from my Columbus Day Weekend trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain. All the coasters were running like I remembered, and Riddler's Revenge was a new credit to me, as it was still being re-painted during my last visit. I still haven't ridden Apocalypse yet, however, because of the construction... maybe the third visit I'll finally get the credit? Anyways, Riddler's Revenge was awesome. I was pleasantly surprised especially after the last couple Stand-Ups I've ridden. I didn't ride Goliath though because of how horrible and slow the operations were. The longest I waited was 75 minutes to get one of the last rides of the night on Tatsu.
Coaster Count - A lot

Top 10 under construction

PreviousNext