The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Pg 5042 - CraZanity Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: SoCalJasonland and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:49 pm

I think if they market it well, a length record could work. Besides, I could see people forgetting exactly what they'd heard, and thinking of it as the "biggest" coaster, and then that could turn into a rumor that it's the tallest or fastest. So in the end, what matters it's that it's any record that isn't too gimmicky.
113 wood+499 steel=612|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby mr. cockblock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:39 am

I heard it will break the record for longest brake run! Looks like the coaster wars are back in full effect! ;)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Xcoaster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:21 am

We were also talking with him while Apocalypse was broken down (they were having a computer issue - it was saying the train was going too fast when entering the station), and boarded shortly after he started talking about the new ride, so I missed some of what he said (I didn't hear much about the actual layout, using the tunnel, or where he said it would have a length record). Anyways, what I heard from him was that it was still in the design phase, but would be in the 6000 ft length range, would have three magnetic launches, and would claim the record for the world's tallest loop. After hearing what Tim and Neal had to say on the subject, it all seemed pretty plausible (huge = long length, record breaking = giant loop and/or reclaiming coaster record, and both made a point of mentioning that the design was still in progress). Tim and Neal also mentioned that they were clearing out monorail track from the tunnel, which would fit with the ride using that feature.

Anyways, from what I heard it sounded like Cheetah Hunt, but longer, faster, and with a loop. And since the current record for loop height is Superman: Krypton Coaster at SFFT (145 ft tall @ 70 mph), it seems like a given that it'd need to reach at least 70 mph (10 mph faster than CHunt). A giant loop would also make a nice tribute to Revolution, Viper, and Riddler's (all former record holders). Anyways, I've been excited for whatever they have in store, but if what I heard last weekend turns out to be true, I think that excitement will be well justified.

Jew wrote:^IIRC, Tim was talking about the general philosophies behind how SFMM does attractions, not actually saying anything about the possible addition itself. Same with the whole Rocky Mountain track and Colossus in regards to needed to be able to get a return on investment. Something about "I rode Texas Giant...liked it a lot...but before we even consider it we have to get a return..blah blah blah."
I think we had the same feeling for Colossus - they basically repeated what they said last year regarding their love for NTAG, but didn't say that they were definitely moving forward with it for Colossus, for various reasons (return on investment, nostalgia, rampaging coaster nerds). I'm just assuming that's their 2014 plan, until we hear otherwise. You might be right regarding the Log Jammer replacement just being a "what-if?", but I also recall them starting by saying something along the lines of "this design is still in development...", which indicated to me they were actually talking about a solid plan for the near future, not just one route they might eventually go down.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Trevannosaurus Rex » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:49 am

I hope it does turn out to be a water ride. It's still pretty hot in Valencia it's nice to be able to cool down.

Whatever it is they should theme it to Aquaman as well. He's certainly deserving of something. You can ride on one of his sea friends helping him out! It would be awesome.

I can imagine the t-shirts now 'Aquaman got me wet'! and all sorts of variants on the same thing.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 am

Xcoaster wrote:We were also talking with him while Apocalypse was broken down (they were having a computer issue - it was saying the train was going too fast when entering the station), and boarded shortly after he started talking about the new ride, so I missed some of what he said (I didn't hear much about the actual layout, using the tunnel, or where he said it would have a length record). Anyways, what I heard from him was that it was still in the design phase, but would be in the 6000 ft length range, would have three magnetic launches, and would claim the record for the world's tallest loop. After hearing what Tim and Neal had to say on the subject, it all seemed pretty plausible (huge = long length, record breaking = giant loop and/or reclaiming coaster record, and both made a point of mentioning that the design was still in progress). Tim and Neal also mentioned that they were clearing out monorail track from the tunnel, which would fit with the ride using that feature.

Anyways, from what I heard it sounded like Cheetah Hunt, but longer, faster, and with a loop. And since the current record for loop height is Superman: Krypton Coaster at SFFT (145 ft tall @ 70 mph), it seems like a given that it'd need to reach at least 70 mph (10 mph faster than CHunt). A giant loop would also make a nice tribute to Revolution, Viper, and Riddler's (all former record holders). Anyways, I've been excited for whatever they have in store, but if what I heard last weekend turns out to be true, I think that excitement will be well justified.

Okay, that's what he was saying. I honestly didn't hear everything, and guessed at it based on what I heard (although I clearly heard him mention the tunnel, terrain hugging on both sides of the hill, 6000 ft (from which I assumed a length record), and linear motors, as well as something height related). Based on Viper's speed and loop height (70 MPH, 144 ft loop), I'm thinking 70-80 mph sounds like about the right speed for this coaster. As long as this ride has some airtime moments in addition to what has already been mentioned, I could see it being the best coaster in California. It certainly sounds like something Intamin would come up with.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Gigalyte » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:31 am

^^ I was cool with the idea of a long A$$ multi-launch coaster until you said loop :cry: Why god why does this park need another loop right now.

Also wouldn't a record breaking coaster 6000 feet long or longer with record breaking elements be way past the design phase at this point? The park is already clearing land and the ride is suppose to open in 2013. I was thinking at this point in the game the track was already being fabricated or at least about to start and the park would start receiving it in a few months or so.

Postby Tmcdllr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:22 am

Cool, another loop, I'm all for that!

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Reuschini » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:17 am

^^Already complaining?!?!

I would be stoked for the park to get what has been mentioned, and we all should be too so hopefully they'll actually get it because it sounds awesome. Also keep in mind some mechanics know there are guests listening especially at a coaster event and might say a couple things at enough of a volume to turn ears...

I thought the negative update was uncalled for considering the park doesn't even have to do an event, and they did anyway, and it sounds like it was fun. Then to not even go and still complain? *head smack keyboard* I like going to Magic Mountain, I have a pass and apparently a lot of other people do too for certain reasons and that's why we like visiting and talking about what's new. There's a lot of great things going on at the park and in store for the future from what I've heard, and even if it has it's flaws that's okay with me, it's fun to go with friends and ride the coasters for a day.

X > X2

Postby X2coasterfreak » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 am

As long as there is a kick a$$ new coaster in the works I'm happy. This whole multi- launched/ longest coaster/ biggest loop sound great, just please have airtime. This park, and the rest of California, need an airtime machine.
Credit Count: 342
278 Steel 64 Wood

Intimidator 305/Skyrush/Maverick/Fury 325/New Texas Giant
Lightning Rod/Outlaw Run/El Toro/Phoenix/Voyage

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 am

Off topic for a minute:

Anybody notice the new music video loop in some of the ride queues?

Well, when we were waiting for Tatsu for ERT they had that song "Pumped up Kicks" on.

There is a line in the song that goes:
"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, outrun my gun."

The park actually cut out the word "Gun" in the video. I mean, I know SFMM has had gang problems in the past, but is hearing the word "Gun" really going to cause another riot? It's not like TLC is ever going to play in the park again.

PreviousNext