The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Pg 5042 - CraZanity Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: Coastin' thru life and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Lost My Veganity on the New Hotness trip.

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby dylanreich » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 pm

I gave Colossus a courtesy ride yesterday and found the left side open. I usually don't ride it that often so I don't know if that's normal, but I've always found the right side to be the side open. It was nice finally getting to ride the other track. I sat in the back row and something completely unexpected happened on the first drop: There was literally an INSANE amount of airtime that made me literally fly into the lab bar that I had given myself a little but nice amount of room with. It was painful since I wasn't ready for it, but it was also amazing in a way, and would have been fantastic if I was prepared for it.
Anyone else experienced crazy airtime on the first drop on either track?
YOLO all day errday
Steel: 1.Skull Mountain 2.X2 3.I-305 4.Tatsu 5.Storm Runner 6.Volcano
Wood: 1.Phoenix 2.Thunderhead 3.El Toro 4.Apocalypse 5.Lightning Racer

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Tmcdllr wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if Six Flags built Superman at SFDK from Premier Rides as a 'test' for this type of coaster and built the bigger version of it, 'YOLOcoaster' at SFMM for 2013?

Im going to call it and go with that as my guess. Not the same ride but launched with the world record loop, similar to Superman.

If you're correct and SFMM gets the same exact design but bigger, can you imagine the AIRTIME on that thing?? :omg: S:UF is only 150' and 62 mph and the ejector is insane...
SFMM's version?? :airtime:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Lost My Veganity on the New Hotness trip.

Postby dylanreich » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 pm

^How much space would it take up though? Isn't the Log Jammer space 6 acres? I have no clue how big Superman at SFDK is... I think that it could be similar, or maybe the same thing but larger in scale, with more elements.
YOLO all day errday
Steel: 1.Skull Mountain 2.X2 3.I-305 4.Tatsu 5.Storm Runner 6.Volcano
Wood: 1.Phoenix 2.Thunderhead 3.El Toro 4.Apocalypse 5.Lightning Racer

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 pm

dylanreich wrote:^How much space would it take up though? Isn't the Log Jammer space 6 acres? I have no clue how big Superman at SFDK is... I think that it could be similar, or maybe the same thing but larger in scale, with more elements.

^Superman isn't very large, and even a taller and faster version shouldn't have a huge footprint, but maybe they weren't planning to use all of Log Jammer's space for one coaster?

This theory would support the talk of SFMM's coaster using that old tunnel. SFDK's coaster launches through a tunnel, but if there's already a decent tunnel available, why build a new one?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 6flagsbrad » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:25 pm

I don't think they would put in the exact same layout with that space available. It might be similar if it ends up being the same type of coaster, but I think the park has the mindset of using the terrain and space provided.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby **McFly** » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I was at the park on Tuesday for the ERT on Lex Luthors Drop of Doom. It was fun hanging out with a couple of other people from TPR! (My name is Mike and I was wearing the Red shirt from another amusement park)

Too bad we got on the ride so late in the morning, but still glad to have made the trip out to get some extra rides in. I really like Lex Luthor and feel it is a great addition to the park. The long drop really makes you appreciate the speed over several seconds of falling! I got in 5 rides yesterday and only 1 had one ride with the tower swaying from Superman. The swaying does add to the thrill of the ride IMO.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 pm

There was literally an INSANE amount of airtime that made me literally fly into the lab bar that I had given myself a little but nice amount of room with. It was painful since I wasn't ready for it, but it was also amazing in a way, and would have been fantastic if I was prepared for it.

The first drop was re-tracked with I-beams, making it faster/smoother than the rest of the ride with traditional wood coaster trap.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby **McFly** » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 pm

I got on it today and was pretty happy with the ride! Moving right along and was an enjoyable ride. We also got some airtime on the first drop in the back rows. Pacing is much better without all of the bouncing around!

Strange the past several months there are only 2 total trains for Colossus. (can't count the psyclone trains for normal operation) Used to be 6 trains and with a couple out getting refurb work done there was generally 4 available. currently there is no way to run 3 on one side, or 2 on each side during a busy weekend.

dylanreich wrote:I gave Colossus a courtesy ride yesterday and found the left side open. I usually don't ride it that often so I don't know if that's normal, but I've always found the right side to be the side open. It was nice finally getting to ride the other track. I sat in the back row and something completely unexpected happened on the first drop: There was literally an INSANE amount of airtime that made me literally fly into the lab bar that I had given myself a little but nice amount of room with. It was painful since I wasn't ready for it, but it was also amazing in a way, and would have been fantastic if I was prepared for it.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby skaunit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Random question, does ll:dod have an on-ride photo or video?
Ride Maintenance Electrician at California's Great America

My Coaster Count

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Pacificoaster » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Nope

PreviousNext