The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby DBru » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:15 pm

^The “unleash” event takes place at the entrance to the DC area this year, right by Lex Luthor’s entrance.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby moviemansig » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Here's a trip report for this past Saturday. I did Crazanity for the first time and thought it had incredible speed and weightlessness. I thought it was a bit better than the comparable ride Wonder Woman at Discovery Kingdom. Lex Luthor was down until 4 something in the afternoon because of an issue with the tower. The New Revolution didn't open until later in the day, while Superman was down all day. While waiting in line for Tatsu at night, the ride experienced a delay in operations.

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 pm

DBru wrote:^The “unleash” event takes place at the entrance to the DC area this year, right by Lex Luthor’s entrance.

I caught it on Sunday! I can honestly say that I think it's as good if not better than Knott's rope drop!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:27 pm

^I agree. I went to Fright Fest for the first time on Sunday and was really impressed. The mazes were way higher quality than I was expecting and the crowds were much smaller than Knott's.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:09 pm

DBru wrote:^I agree. I went to Fright Fest for the first time on Sunday and was really impressed. The mazes were way higher quality than I was expecting and the crowds were much smaller than Knott's.

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Fright Fest operates on a tick tock capex cycle, pretty much mirroring their ride capital expansion plans. One year is a big investment year and the next year isn't.

You happened upon Fright Fest on a good year. This is the first year the park has had real capital money for Fright Fest since 2014. Granted 2016 was supposed to be a big year with Aftermath 2, but the maze went wildly overbudget, wasn't completed, and flopped. Thankfully the Suicide Squad promotion via Warner Brothers was greenlit at the last minute.

This year saw a significant improvement in mazes which really elevates the event. Two new high budget mazes replaced Toyz of Terror (Condamned) and Dead End (Sewer of Souls). Vault 666 got a reskin for a movie tie in (Hell Fest) and they also added new scare zone in Metropolis for the second year in a row. It also saw the removal of Chupacabra (finally).

The issue remains however that next year will (most likely) have a limited budget so there will be nothing notably improved for the event until 2020. When you're operating on a biannual investment cycle and that big investment misfires (Aftermath) it leads to stagnation for a few years. Unfortunately in a market that has two of the biggest and most well known Halloween events in the U.S. and plenty of other well done scares, it's hard to stay relevant. I really hope the park finally considers making Fright Fest a separate ticketed event in the future to drive more revenue and actually justify a bigger budget, there's just so much potential...

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Yeah, it seems like they didn't put too much effort into aftermath this year. Might be time to retire it (for a few years at least) and bring something else new for next year. The new "scare zone" (The shadows?) Is also pretty lame, kind of a shame as that space is pretty dark and the could of done a lot more with it. Hopefully with the opening of West Coast Racers we'll see some improvements to fright fest in that corner of the park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby chaoskane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi, i'm looking for someone to purchase the Six Flags Season Pass together, it is going on sale for $82.99 right now and require the purchase of 4 pass , I need 2-3 pass depends on whatever you need

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby greg.gray » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm

My experience was related specifically to SFMM, but others post online with similar concerns for the "Membership Program" in general.

! DO NOT BUY SIX FLAGS MEMBERSHIP ONLINE !

I bought 5 of them almost 3 years ago.

You have to continue for the full 12 months paying each month, and then it renews month to month with a minimum 2 week cancellation notice. I was okay with that.

We went 2 or three times during the first year.

After the first year, I went to the "Membership Portal" to cancel. It was difficult... you needed your original receipt and you needed to register accounts for each card (5 in my case) before you could cancel. So, I thought... it is only $36 per month... maybe we will go back soon.

Fast forward to August of 2018 or almost $1000 later. I got serious about canceling. I stepped through a number of hoops and was told by the "Membership Portal" that I would get an email with the details I needed to submit my cancellation request. No email ever came. Add to this that my card on the membership EXPIRED about this time... but they just grabbed the new expiration date and KEPT ON BILLING!

I thought.. ok we have not been back in a long time, but maybe we can go around the first of October and after a last day.. we will cancel in person.

We did not get the chance to do that, so today I got serious.

I submitted the request again... no email.

I registered more accounts and suddenly, no cancellation option in my menu.

I clicked chat with agent... "No agents are available at this time."

I checked my bank statement and got the billing phone number and called it. I got a recording about park hours and if you have season pass questions, visit the website at....

So I filed charge disputes with my bank and a complaint with the BBB of Los Angeles.

I liked Six Flags before this, but now I will never visit again, and I am on a mission to help get the word out that you can get hooked. This is especially sad since people who mostly get burned by this are just looking to help their kids have a good time.

Shame on you Six Flags.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:53 am

You happened upon Fright Fest on a good year. This is the first year the park has had real capital money for Fright Fest since 2014. Granted 2016 was supposed to be a big year with Aftermath 2, but the maze went wildly overbudget, wasn't completed, and flopped. Thankfully the Suicide Squad promotion via Warner Brothers was greenlit at the last minute.

I really enjoyed Aftermath 2 when it was launched. I just don't think Six Flags realized how much working with a creative firm actually costs (same company that did Dark Harbor). This year it very much was an afterthought.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 am

Jew wrote:

I really enjoyed Aftermath 2 when it was launched. I just don't think Six Flags realized how much working with a creative firm actually costs (same company that did Dark Harbor). This year it very much was an afterthought.

This was not the first foray into using a vendor for mazes at the park though, Willoughby's, Red's Revenge, and Vault 666 were all contracted mazes in the past.

The main issue that kneecapped Aftermath 2 was the construction of the old Batman stunt show sets at the new site. The park had to file city permits (and had issues with misdocumentation) to level out the ground slope and pour the foundations for the set pieces. The combination of the permitting issues and pouring the concrete late cascaded into the project being very late and wildly over budget. Also, MyCoToo really dropped the ball and didn't deliver on scenic items either...

This year the maze was practically an afterthought as originally the entire new area for West Coast Racers was supposed to be closed and there were initial talks of not having Aftermath operate for the year. However due to the loss of Chupacabra it was decided that the park couldn't justify contracting the event further. Aftermath has also dealt with staffing issues as well ever since it opened and the maze needs A LOT of staffing, which the park has continuously struggled with.

Overall though I think the park and Entertainment team really did learn some lessons from Aftermath 2 and we're seeing that in the well done execution of the 2.5 new mazes this year.

PreviousNext