TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ Hey JT, was the park closed when she was there? Did they just escourt their group to the front of the lines like a VIP tour? Just curious.

she said she rented it out. exactly what that meant, i don't know. they posted a couple clips at night. it did look like it was just their group.

they had rented it out in the past for the reality show. then it was during a closed day i believe. that day, i remember them just driving around from ride to ride. lol

last night could have just been after they closed, and maybe just a few rides. i have no idea.

I believe that was her more famous sister Kim who was driving from ride to ride in a Suburban. I think in the past when you rented the park out on a closed day you could choose to have X number of rides or pay more for the whole park (kinda like when you do ERT)...but with the park being open 365 days now, if I'm the park I dont see a big savings either way because I have to shut the whole park down to other guests either way.

Is it possible to "rent out" DLR? Or is it just so expensive no one does it? I can't imagine what they would have to charge for that. I've never heard of anyone doing it short of Disney themselves when they occasionally shut down early for the premiere of a Disney movie in the park or something.

for fun, how much do you think it costs to rent out magic mountain?

IDK... But I now have a new goal in life!!

EDIT: Apparently it's a little less than $2 million for the entire day. (Starting price of course) I'm sure time of year and other factors will only increase that price.

Google showed me this story, which I wouldn't have cared about if not for this thread. I guess the idea was an AstroWorld theme.

http://www.thefader.com/2018/04/29/travis-scott-birthday-six-flags

oh, i was wondering who was in the bright neon jacket. lol

also, if they had the park until midnight, then i'd assume they had 3 hours to play. plenty if there's just a small group going from ride to ride.

Parks get rented out for private events all the time, including Disney. Typically, it's corporate events. AAA Member night, "Out on the Mountain" (LGBTQ night), LAUSD employee night, etc. Generally individuals can't afford it, but a few celebrities can and do. Usually it's after the park closes to the public, but occasionally that means closing a bit early to the public depending on the event.

for fun, how much do you think it costs to rent out magic mountain?

IDK... But I now have a new goal in life!!

EDIT: Apparently it's a little less than $2 million for the entire day. (Starting price of course) I'm sure time of year and other factors will only increase that price.

I wouldn't be so sure about that price. No doubt it could very well run that much, but that is likely only the starting price for a very specific time and date.

The price is dependent upon many factors. The time, what exactly you want, and how many people you have attending all play a role in the final cost. Everything can be negotiated and bought.

Google showed me this story, which I wouldn't have cared about if not for this thread. I guess the idea was an AstroWorld theme.

http://www.thefader.com/2018/04/29/travis-scott-birthday-six-flags

Now that is awesome! Renting out a six flags park and decorating it to a defunct six flags park would probably be something I would do too if I wasn't so poor. One can dream .

So how has attendance been so far this year in general (now that MM is 365 days a year)?

And I will very likely go . . . probably the second week of September (I know it can get real hot in Valencia during the summer).

What is the recommended path of attack as far as riding the coasters go?

Is Flash Pass worth it? (I know for Platinum FP, you get ONE use of it on X2, Twisted Colossus and YOLOcoaster).

Sometimes when it is hot, the lines are shorter. Also the temp can really vary quite a bit.

I am a gold member so I go in 10 minutes early. I always start with Full Throttle. I find that the line becomes too long later in the day, so it is best to hit it first thing. That ride's capacity is not good and they have run one train on some Sundays in the Winter/Spring. I always go away from X2 at the start of the day. I find most people go to X2 to start. After Full Throttle, I ride Goliath once and then hit up TC a few times until it generates a line. I try to be at X2 between 2:30-5. I find the lines are normally the shortest around these times and start to get longer later. Another tip is to go to X2 when it is down. The line can go down to next to nothing and you can get a few rides in once they open it.

I go a lot on Sunday's and prefer them over Saturdays. Crowds are much better on Sundays. I have not gone during the week at all, I heard it has been very reasonable. I would suggest coming before Freight Fest starts as that draws a crowd. 2nd week of September, you should be able to avoid that. If you go during Freight Fest, Holiday Weekends, or a busy Saturday and came from out of state, you may want a pass. Since I'm local I just avoid the busy days.

^^How extensive were these "decorations"? I really only saw the one sign and maybe the shirt (hard to tell in some of the photos/videos).

Also, is it wrong of me to feel annoyed that you can basically do whatever you want if you're rich and famous? (In response to them smoking on the train).

^^ Great pic. That's the first time I've heard of Apocinator valleying, but when I rode it about a week ago, it did feel like it barely made it through the final turn.

And like JT325 said, kudos to the park for getting it back up and running so quickly, given that their maintenance has a reputation for being ridiculously slow.

Hello Everyone! I'll be visiting MM in June. I'm wondering if anybody had any tips, such as order to do rides and places to eat. Thanks in advance!

Places to eat: Outside the park! But seriously it used to be much worse..the FT Sports Bar/Grill is not bad, and I've heard Twisted 'Wiches is pretty decent though expensive.

F_ull Thr0ttle and X2 are the coasters most people run to immediately when the gates open, so they're always busy early. You could head there first too, or hit them at the end of the day when the line usually dissipates.

If you don't have a Platinum Flash Pass, Superman is a good one to hit first since it is 1x Platinum FP Only. It has a notoriously slow moving line, and except during weekends in the summer, they rarely run both sides.

Twisted Colossus' line moves very quickly, so it's not usually a problem except on the busiest of days. Rule of thumb is as long as the line doesn't spill out of the covered que, it's not a problem. If they put up the temporary stanchions outside the station, its gonna be a while.

Pay attention to if anything is running 1 train (or 2 for Twisted Colossus) and hit those first, because running less trains means que moves at a snails pace and line probably wont get short all day long.

^^ Great pic. That's the first time I've heard of Apocinator valleying, but when I rode it about a week ago, it did feel like it barely made it through the final turn.

And like JT325 said, kudos to the park for getting it back up and running so quickly, given that their maintenance has a reputation for being ridiculously slow.

You should see how slow the train moves through that final turn early in the morning after they take the water dummies out. I’m surprised it doesn’t valley more often. Also, I know a while back people were talking about running sprinklers on the structure of apocalypse and I can confirm that’s true. They are running sprinklers every morning at 5 o’clock when I show up at work.

I rode it a few weeks ago and noticed that. I don't see any brakes involved, but something's up with that last elevated turn — the train slows way, way down far more than it has before. I also thought it wasn't going to make it back up to the brake run.

I wonder if it has to do with the big turns at the end? That's always been the roughest part of the ride and seemingly the area that gets re-tracked a lot. But even after maintenance, that section is almost always jackhammer brutality. If you look at the rails on the brake run, they're a warped mess.

Hello Everyone! I'll be visiting MM in June. I'm wondering if anybody had any tips, such as order to do rides and places to eat. Thanks in advance!
I would be there for opening and hit Full Throttle first, followed by Goliath once, and ride TC until it builds a line. Full Throttle's line never recovers through out the day. Avoid starting at X2. Everyone goes to that ride first. The queue can be empty in the afternoon especially if it breaks down briefly. I try to get to that ride between 2:30-5. It will be busier later once everyone has made a full circle around the park. Look out for when it breaks down because you can get a few rides in once they open it back up. Superman can be bad if they run only one side. If they run both sides it is hit or miss. TC and Tatsu will always have a reasonable line. If the queue is completely full for either ride then you will have a lengthy wait.

Hey everyone,

Thinking about heading to the park tomorrow May 6th but a little weary as I noticed there is a DCA cheerleading spirit event. I went on a Sunday a few months back which happened to be a school spirit event, with thousands of kids already in the park before opening and we'll just ridiculously long lines for everything. Should I expect the same tomorrow?

Went to the park yesterday for the first timei n 3 months and it felt different for sure. The parking situation threw me off at first, since there is now preferred parking I had to park over by Tweety Bird. It was crazy hot, but thats normal. As far as lines go, same old same old. Had short wait times imo. Twisted C and Goliath were about 20-30 minutes, walked on Apocalypse. I saw the construction around the boardwalk and it looks so good, If Crazanity is truly the biggest one of its kind that thing is gonna tower over everything in that section of the park. It will really give that section of the park an insane feel. I imagine people waking by will stop to simply watch crazanity swinging back and forth. My question for anyone is, will the new ride swing back and forth towards superman parallel? Or will it swing across going over those carnival rides?

Hey everyone,

Thinking about heading to the park tomorrow May 6th but a little weary as I noticed there is a DCA cheerleading spirit event. I went on a Sunday a few months back which happened to be a school spirit event, with thousands of kids already in the park before opening and we'll just ridiculously long lines for everything. Should I expect the same tomorrow?

It was actually dead. The cheerleading event never happened. The only lines were Full Throttle which ran one train, Superman which one train, and Tatsu which broke down a few times and then it only ran one train for some of the day. Catch the theme here. Twisted Colossus was a walk on pretty much during the first 3 hours and I rode X2 a few times in a row without leaving the station as their was no line on the stair side. I really enjoy SFMM on these days.

Went to the park yesterday and it was DEAD.............! The employees were so BORED! I ran into an employee I used to work with back in the 90's. She is going on 24 years at MM. She is so sweet and a happy individual.

Through out the day I kept watching a coaster junkie run from ride to ride, like if the park was going to be packed! Everything was pretty much walk on except FT, it was one train operation. Avoided Tatsu this time. Preztel loop gets to me now (I'm getting old) Had the best ride ever on Viper. Really Utilized my Elite Pass. A lot discounts on food and merchandise. It was a GREAT DEAL!

Walked up to Ninja and seen how much land clearing had been done for the Newhall Ranch Project. It's going to suck seeing homes build in view. Their will be a massive driveway leading up to where homes are going to be built. Wish I would have taken pictures of that. Maybe next time. Also this is the area that was on fire last December! Just go back to December and see the pictures of the jumbo jet dropping fire retardant.

I hope they make them sign a paper stating that SFMM has been here for years and no modifications will be made to rides in order to keep noise level down. You know what you are buying and that is that!

Hmmm...... really looking at this picture. Would love to see MM from my back yard! Maybe once they are built I will consider buying a home with the backyard facing MM!

425491549_SFMMView.thumb.jpg.49b79ce2d79d69192832dd9e163d7ba8.jpg