TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

...You do have to be a member for a minimum of 12 months, but it's an interesting concept to have a season pass for essentially as long as you want, without ever needing to worry about renewing.

Exactly. I joked last year that I was basically paying to not go, and, even better, paying to avoid having to call to cancel it*. Joke would've been on me, though, since I finally made mine pay for itself for the year.

Seems like a small deal, and I wouldn't be shocked to learn I'm losing money vs. buying season passes, but it's a relatively painless payment and the convenience, while ultimately trivial, justifies it for me.

*After doing some digging, it appears I was misled and can cancel online.

I don't think it's intentional, I think it's just the LSMs wearing down due to lack of regular maintenance. Superman needs a refurb that will get it shooting back to the top. Slowing it only 5mph is not going to lower costs very much.

You’re probably right. Like I said, mine was just a guess.

However, one positive thing I noticed is that they seem to be launching both sides together as of recently. Not a perfect race, but typically when one launches, the next one comes a few seconds later.

No more "fly byes" for awhile. The second car (east side) is no longer onsite. Must be out for inspection / maintenance.

...You do have to be a member for a minimum of 12 months, but it's an interesting concept to have a season pass for essentially as long as you want, without ever needing to worry about renewing.

Exactly. I joked last year that I was basically paying to not go, and, even better, paying to avoid having to call to cancel it*. Joke would've been on me, though, since I finally made mine pay for itself for the year.

Seems like a small deal, and I wouldn't be shocked to learn I'm losing money vs. buying season passes, but it's a relatively painless payment and the convenience, while ultimately trivial, justifies it for me.

*After doing some digging, it appears I was misled and can cancel online.

My husband said the exact same thing, that you're paying not to go.

I may be in the minority, but I actually hate monthly payments on anything. I feel if I can't pay up for something, then I shouldn't be getting it in the first place to keep my finances in check. Plus, I just like paying one time and not having to worry about it, and keeping all my cash for the rest of the year. Getting dinged by a small monthly amount is really annoying on my checkbook.

Six "keep em confused" Flags.

Go to Holiday World "where all guests are priority." I know, the world isn't perfect and HW is an exception. If Six Flags had 30 years of treating people with respect, they wouldn't have to worry about changing their game plan so much... and wouldn't have to have season passes that are 70% off. If you treat people (and their time) with respect, they will want to give you their money. Seems to work well with Cedar Fair these days.

Based on checking their website, it does not list early entry as a benefit for Gold Passes anymore.

I do understand "the small print" where conditions may change. However, if there ever was a message put out by Six Flags that said "current Gold Pass benefits will not change", then that's a bigger issue. At the same time, the only quote of that I can find is from a member posting here. I don't see that being said anywhere on their website. If that reader can quote where they saw that text, maybe there'd be a stronger case to be angry about the change.

That said, it doesn't really say Gold Pass Plus gets early entry either... it just says there will be a "Priority turnstyle" for the first 4 hours of park opening. Perhaps the question is what is meant by "priority". To me, it means "exclusive", not getting in early. But it's a bit vaguely worded.

The curious part to me about the Gold Pass Plus was why they were only accepting monthly payments. I didn't realize that, according to their own literature, there is no expiration date to this pass until you decide to opt out. Hence why the term "membership." You do have to be a member for a minimum of 12 months, but it's an interesting concept to have a season pass for essentially as long as you want, without ever needing to worry about renewing.

i just searched my emails and all the ones i see from black friday or cyber monday don't say anything about early entry. so it seems more than legit to not let regular gold passes or memberships in early.

i have a gold membership. but since i don't really see anything important with the upgrade, i'll just keep mine the way it is until they make me change. they've bumped up my monthly a couple times to where i now pay $6.10 a month. but as long as it's around this price, i don't see the need to pay more for the extras right now.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/newsroom/steps-for-swift-entry

The easiest way to enter the park more quickly would be to purchase a Gold Pass. Gold Pass Holders always get to enter the park minutes before other guests, so they can get a head start on the day and be the first to ride their favorite rides.

Based on checking their website, it does not list early entry as a benefit for Gold Passes anymore.

I do understand "the small print" where conditions may change. However, if there ever was a message put out by Six Flags that said "current Gold Pass benefits will not change", then that's a bigger issue. At the same time, the only quote of that I can find is from a member posting here. I don't see that being said anywhere on their website. If that reader can quote where they saw that text, maybe there'd be a stronger case to be angry about the change.

That said, it doesn't really say Gold Pass Plus gets early entry either... it just says there will be a "Priority turnstyle" for the first 4 hours of park opening. Perhaps the question is what is meant by "priority". To me, it means "exclusive", not getting in early. But it's a bit vaguely worded.

The curious part to me about the Gold Pass Plus was why they were only accepting monthly payments. I didn't realize that, according to their own literature, there is no expiration date to this pass until you decide to opt out. Hence why the term "membership." You do have to be a member for a minimum of 12 months, but it's an interesting concept to have a season pass for essentially as long as you want, without ever needing to worry about renewing.

i just searched my emails and all the ones i see from black friday or cyber monday don't say anything about early entry. so it seems more than legit to not let regular gold passes or memberships in early.

i have a gold membership. but since i don't really see anything important with the upgrade, i'll just keep mine the way it is until they make me change. they've bumped up my monthly a couple times to where i now pay $6.10 a month. but as long as it's around this price, i don't see the need to pay more for the extras right now.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/newsroom/steps-for-swift-entry

The easiest way to enter the park more quickly would be to purchase a Gold Pass. Gold Pass Holders always get to enter the park minutes before other guests, so they can get a head start on the day and be the first to ride their favorite rides.

LOL, yeah, everyone should show them that that get denied.

which reminded me, and i just happened to go through some old coaster crap today. this was one of the perks for buying a season pass in 1996. exclusive rides on superman. well, it wasn't going very fast, or very high, but they got us on it. i rode once, then went down and did 50 laps on Batman. haha

IMG_3073.thumb.JPG.a103e4033d4d94a8b82e0164e80371fc.JPG

Opening in 1996...

IMG_3074.thumb.JPG.1d51a5651d2af8d4976b1f2bc7b5b167.JPG

Launching in 1997! lol

IMG_3104.thumb.JPG.ad2de47f62153a70806bf5a92c1bb85f.JPG

I also saved some newspaper articles from when they were having issues.

IMG_3085.thumb.JPG.98ed99501b73dacc7b52a526e986de23.JPG

Wow. Twenty years already. I remember when we were there in 1996

and the main cement foundations had just been finished.

IMG_1958.JPG.79a96a43c7513a9969d0bd6a11098228.JPG

What was finished when we were there in Feb.1996. The cement supports/foundations.

This photo was taken during West Coast Bash, Sept.10, 2016.

While at the park yesterday I saw Neil the new park president walking the park with his trash grabber accompanied by Donald - I'm guessing his second in command. He's following "the steps" of Jay Thomas, not the past president Bonnie. You'd never see her in the park unless there is some type of opening event. Got lots of rides with the 365. Not sure how long they'll keep this. As a 6 Flags stock holder, this has got to be loosing money big time. As a rider, I love it!

Need to see now what they'll do with migrating from Gold season pass to the membership program. I'll give them time to figure this out.

While at the park yesterday I saw Neil the new park president walking the park with his trash grabber accompanied by Donald - I'm guessing his second in command. He's following "the steps" of Jay Thomas, not the past president Bonnie. You'd never see her in the park unless there is some type of opening event. Got lots of rides with the 365. Not sure how long they'll keep this. As a 6 Flags stock holder, this has got to be loosing money big time. As a rider, I love it!

Need to see now what they'll do with migrating from Gold season pass to the membership program. I'll give them time to figure this out.

Well its still early though, people who've gone on off-days seem to be really happy with it, and as word of mouth sets in maybe more people will take advantage and make it more profitable.

^ Yeah I'm not sure SF is expecting robust business right out of the gate. They'll be a period of adjustment. They'll need a good advertisement angle (I haven't seen much yet), new price points and incentives, and well as some big new rides/attractions to draw in tourists as well as locals.

Knotts has a great proximity to Disneyland. SFMM will have to find what works. Meanwhile, Spring Break is about a month and a half away.

Edited by Manic Monte

Was at the park today. At park opening, they are confirming that Gold Pass early entry will be going away March 1, at which point it will only be available to Gold Pass Members. But in the meantime, although the entry entry only says Gold Members, regular Gold Pass can use it as well... for now.

Minor updates, Riddler's was down (at least in the morning), and Drop of Doom worked for a bit, then went down... while I was the only person on it. Fortunately, it had only gone up about 15 ft before it stopped. I was lowered down anticlimactically in about 10 minutes. It was a pretty windy morning... I kept hearing this loud thumping noise, and realized it was the Drop of Doom cables slamming into the metal structure.

Other minor notes: Honda Express seemed to be down for refurbishment. TC running 3 trains, even with low crowds. FT only ran one at park opening (I didn't stay long, so I hope they added another later, but not sure). And Classic Revolution (no VR) had a line going all the way down the ramp at 11:30. Guess it's found it's groove with the GP? I was surprised to see it having a line that long.

Oh, and there were not one, not two, but three large trucks all working and driving around in that development behind Apocalypse. After all this time, that Newhall development is really starting to move.

^ Reads like a messy day for you, lol. At this point in time, I still can't imagine people actually living above

where the park is, such as it is located. When it happens, i.e. everything is built and occupied, I will believe it.

^ Reads like a messy day for you, lol. At this point in time, I still can't imagine people actually living above

where the park is, such as it is located. When it happens, i.e. everything is built and occupied, I will believe it.

People will most definitely buy whatever they build unless the economy tanks. Developers can't build housing fast enough in so cal.

Was at the park today. At park opening, they are confirming that Gold Pass early entry will be going away March 1, at which point it will only be available to Gold Pass Members. But in the meantime, although the entry entry only says Gold Members, regular Gold Pass can use it as well... for now.

Minor updates, Riddler's was down (at least in the morning), and Drop of Doom worked for a bit, then went down... while I was the only person on it. Fortunately, it had only gone up about 15 ft before it stopped. I was lowered down anticlimactically in about 10 minutes. It was a pretty windy morning... I kept hearing this loud thumping noise, and realized it was the Drop of Doom cables slamming into the metal structure.

Other minor notes: Honda Express seemed to be down for refurbishment. TC running 3 trains, even with low crowds. FT only ran one at park opening (I didn't stay long, so I hope they added another later, but not sure). And Classic Revolution (no VR) had a line going all the way down the ramp at 11:30. Guess it's found it's groove with the GP? I was surprised to see it having a line that long.

Oh, and there were not one, not two, but three large trucks all working and driving around in that development behind Apocalypse. After all this time, that Newhall development is really starting to move.

I was there for a few hours this afternoon. One side of Drop of Doom was still 15 feet in the air when I walked by it.

It was about 47 degrees and windy, which meant that X2 was also closed today.

However, I noticed that Goliath is back up and running. It just opened either yesterday or today, as it was not running when I was there on Thursday.

Revolution's station was empty when I walked by it. They were running two trains, but could have easily gotten by with one. I'm glad that the VR is gone (for now, at least). Does anyone know if the park plans to bring it back? If I recall, the park announced its Galactic Attack VR in January of last year, but they haven't uttered a peep about VR this year.

I only rode a handful of rides today; they were all station waits, with the exception of Tatsu, which had about a 20-minute wait.

I may be making a trip to Magic Mountain this year (of course, overcoming my fear of flying) . . . .

What's the best time of year to come(in terms of crowds and such)?

Are the summer months in Valencia brutally hot?

Best place to stay? (specifically, hotels that have shuttles to and from the park)

And I do know that with Platinum Flash Pass, you are limited to one reservation on X2 and Twisted Colossus.

When I was there yesterday (Saturday) morning, Goliath was still closed, with a sign, fence, and employee in front. To me, it didn't look like it was going to open anytime soon, but I didn't say very long. FWIW, the train was off the lift hill.

I also finally rode the refurbished Scream cars. It's a big improvement, but it still feels clunky and chugs.

I may be making a trip to Magic Mountain this year (of course, overcoming my fear of flying) . . . .

Best place to stay? (specifically, hotels that have shuttles to and from the park)

Anytime during the school year on a weekday is usually great. The park is located in the desert and summers days (June/July/August) can often push 100°+. If you do go during these months make sure to have plenty of water.

If you visit during October they *include admission* to Fright Fest. The event usually draws a larger crowed than normal and the catch is you have to buy a wristband to do all the mazes and extra activities other than walking around and riding the coasters.

I use to live about an hour from the park so I don't have a ton of information on the hotels. I do know there is the Hilton Garden Inn right near the park (maybe a 2 minute drive). According to Trip Advisor past guests say there is a shuttle but I would call the hotel to confirm. Otherwise should be a $5-7 uber each way.

When you do overcome that fear of flying make sure you take a ride on Tatsu where you can "Fly at the Speed of Fear".

Have a great time at the park. It truly is an amazing park for any coaster enthusiast.

*Edit*

If you do visit in the summer, Hurricane Harbor is also on property but a separate admission ticket. If you have a couple of days to spend it's a nice water park, a bit small though.

Also look for when the season pass holders have the "Bring a friend free day!" They tend to be extremely crowded.

Edited by winningfreak

Other minor notes: Honda Express seemed to be down for refurbishment. TC running 3 trains, even with low crowds. FT only ran one at park opening (I didn't stay long, so I hope they added another later, but not sure). And Classic Revolution (no VR) had a line going all the way down the ramp at 11:30. Guess it's found it's groove with the GP? I was surprised to see it having a line that long..

FT only has 1 train onsite. The other one is gone for inspection / maintenance.

And I do know that with Platinum Flash Pass, you are limited to one reservation on X2 and Twisted Colossus.

I would avoid summer weekends because it is both busy and hot. With all the blacktop and the lack of shade, it often feels even hotter at the park than the weather says it is. I can be brutally hot. In terms of crowds, right now is the best time. The busiest periods are the same as most parks - summers, weekends, holidays, and any combination thereof. Above all avoid November 11th, that is Key Club Day, one of the busiest days of the year.

I've stayed at most of the hotels around the park, since I live far enough away that I need a hotel but close enough that I visit frequently. The Hilton Garden Inn was my top choice when I was doing hotels. It's easily the most conveniently located, and it's nice enough. In the last couple years they have jacked up the price though. There is also a Holiday Inn Express and a Best Western across the street and a Courtyard and an Embassy Suites pretty close too. Personally though lately I go with airbnb, more often than not I can get a nicer place than a hotel room for a lot less money. The main advantage to that Hilton Garden Inn though is that it's close enough that it's really convenient to leave the park in the middle of the day if it's hot and you can easily shower, change, and nap for an hour or two and then head back to the park recharged.