TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Apparently there's this massive clearing behind Apocalypse for a 2019 coaster. Possibly big enough for a Giga.

Well, that must mean Magic Mountain is getting a 300ft tall Super Loop "Coaster" in the near future.

I highly doubt it would be a giga coaster, or anything that will exceed $10 million, if their recent purchasing history is anything to go off of. It might not even be for a ride, for all we know.

You'd have to be insane to buy a nearly million dollar home next to a loud ass theme park, and top that off by having to worry about fires destroying your property every year. No thanks

On another note, when SFMM decides to add their next roller coaster, you're probably going to hear about something prominent being removed first. That's kinda the way Six Flags rolls now.

Here is a trip report for this past Saturday. Having the Platinum Flash Pass was quite helpful. Tatsu's regular line late morning seemed to be about an hour. X2's regular line early afternoon looked to be over two hours. Meanwhile, Twisted Colossus’ regular line was over an hour a little after 2:30. I rode Lex Luthor, Gold Rusher, and Justice League for the first time. For Lex Luthor, I followed someone's suggestion on TPR of don't look down, don't look up, just look out, straight ahead and it was good advice. I enjoyed the ride and thought it was quite the rush when it was descending, though not quite as nerve-wracking as I had expected. I thought Gold Rusher was just ok. As for Justice League, the look of it impressed me. It was more intense than I expected with the virtual loops it had, along with the twists and turns. SlingShot was an extreme, thrilling rush. It would have been $20/each normally, but since I had a Season Pass, it was $15/each for $30 total for me and who I was with. The food line at Teen Titans Tower Pizza to get lunch was 30 minutes long. Green Lantern was down all day, while Ninja seemed to be down part of the day. There were three rides that experienced delays when we were waiting for them - Twisted Colossus, Viper, and Goliath. After waiting a bit in the Twisted Colossus line with the delay, we left and came back later when it was operating again. We waited in the Viper line near the front for 30 minutes total and never actually got to ride it, even though we actually entered the gate and were getting set to ride. After a modest delay in Goliath’s operation, we were able to ride it. The park definitely seemed to be on the crowded side, which was surprising for this time of year. Lines seemed to be similar (maybe even a bit more) compared to when I went last year for Fright Fest the fourth weekend of September.

there has been a lot of chatter about dispatch times at six flags over the past day and two, so i thought that it would be a great help for everyone if I compiled a list of the average dispatch time for every ride in the park, enjoy!!

Apocalypse- 2:15

BATMAN The Ride- 2:00

Buccaneer- 2:30

Canyon Blaster- 0:45

CraZanity- 2:45 (predicted)

Cyclone 500- 6:00

Daffy's Adventure Tours- 1:00

Dive Devil- 1:15

Elmer's Weather Balloons- 1:00

Full Throttle- 2:40

Gold Rusher- 1:00

Goliath- 1:15 to 1:30

Grand American Carousel- 2:45

GREEN LANTERN: First Flight- 0:45

Jet Stream- 0:10 per boat

JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis- :30 for a team of cars

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom- 1:00

Magic Flyer- 0:45

Merrie Melodies Carousel- 1:15

Ninja- 2:15

Pepe Le Pew's Tea Party- 1:00

Road Runner Express- 1:00

Roaring Rapids- 1:00 to 1:30 per raft

Sandblasters- 1:45

Scrambler- 2:30

Scream- 2:15

SlingShot- unknown

Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers- 0:45

SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton- 1:00 to 1:15

Swashbuckler- 1:15 to 1:30

Sylvester's Pounce and Bounce- 1:00

Tatsu- 2:45 to 3:15

Taz’s Trucking Co.- 0:45

THE FLASH Speed Force- 2:30

The Looney Tunes Lodge- no dispatch

The New Revolution CLASSIC- 1:45

The New Revolution VR- 4:45

THE RIDDLER’S Revenge- 2:15 to 2:30

Tidal Wave- 1:15

Tweety’s Escape- 0:45

Twisted Colossus- 1:15 to 1:30

Viper- 1:15

Whistlestop Train- unknown, never seen it open

WONDER WOMAN Lasso of Truth- 2:15 to 2:30

X2- 2:15

Yosemite Sam's Flight School- 1:00

^^I'm here riding this week. I'm not sure where you got those times. Many those are very optimistic dispatch times. In other words a lot longer..

These are a compilation of what I've seen over my past couple visits (although I have visited 15+ times in the past year or so). Now certain rides, particularly The New Revolution: CLASSIC, Riddler's Revenge, and X2 can very from what I wrote up to +1:15. However, this is an overall view of what you should expect on a good day, although certain attractions will definitely be slower than the norm as with any park

there has been a lot of chatter about dispatch times at six flags over the past day and two, so i thought that it would be a great help for everyone if I compiled a list of the average dispatch time for every ride in the park, enjoy!!

What are dispatch times for bus transportation from 3rd parking lot to main gate?

Apparently there's this massive clearing behind Apocalypse for a 2019 coaster. Possibly big enough for a Giga.

I believe that's for the Newhall Ranch housing development.

Whatever it is, it definitely isn't for SFMM. They don't own any of that land. Park is at its boundaries on the back side.

I was surprised to see yesterday that they've already started construction on Crazanity.

Holiday in the Park looked nice to the point that the parts that aren't decorated really stick out. And it seems like a missed opportunity not to dress up their fancy new land with lights.

And what the hell is being built exactly again? And how big is it if it stretches all the way back to Apocalypse (which was closed). It's too freaking weird driving up to a naked park now and it's gonna be even weirder when there's stuff all around the park.

^ I still can see Knotts testing hangtime before crazanity is even vertical

Also as noted before the area behind the park being graded is likely for new homes. I remember a few years ago they had to move all their spare parts from the dirt lot behind apocalypse because it wasn’t on their property. So odds are 99.9% that the development is related to homes/businesses

Sadly, I wouldn't blame them for running only 2 trains on TC. I'd say most of the time, despite their best efforts (the crew at TC is typically very good), racing doesn't usually happen and that 3rd train just sits outside the station for an extended time. Because park guests are constantly too slow and/or don't put their items to the side, which holds things up too much.

This is fixable...when they order the ride they just have to let them know(which i'm sure they do already) that our dispatch times are slow so they can design it to fix SF MM dispatch standards. 2nd loading area or after the train is loaded there is a spot where it can wait to guarantee a race or make things more efficient. And not to design it thinking they will ship out a train every minute 20 and design it knowing they won't until 2 minutes+.

TC right now can be easily fixed to race just make the lift timed right like it did when it opened. Or before the train goes for the second time let the train wait for the other train and have a speaker with some sound or sound effects like yolo's tunnel saying waiting for other train.

An extra few pieces of track or minor tweaks can make it so much more efficient if they just design for that.

This is fixable...when they order the ride they just have to let them know(which i'm sure they do already) that our dispatch times are slow so they can design it to fix SF MM dispatch standards. 2nd loading area or after the train is loaded there is a spot where it can wait to guarantee a race or make things more efficient. And not to design it thinking they will ship out a train every minute 20 and design it knowing they won't until 2 minutes+.

TC right now can be easily fixed to race just make the lift timed right like it did when it opened. Or before the train goes for the second time let the train wait for the other train and have a speaker with some sound or sound effects like yolo's tunnel saying waiting for other train.

An extra few pieces of track or minor tweaks can make it so much more efficient if they just design for that.

i remember watching an interview where alan said it was designed to race as long as you had 90 second dispatches. which is pretty easy for every park not named sfmm. but, it was even extended more at some point after it opened. i know the lift slowed differently than the media shoot. btw, at the media shoot they did try to have the other train wait on the lift. they could never get the timing right trying to start the lift back up. i also don't remember that pause that it does on the blue side at the top of the lift. a number of times i've been there thinking, yeah, it's perfect, then pause, and green is long gone.

i'd almost rather it just speed up the green because it's so slow going up the lift to have such a poor percentage of racing. oh well, it is what it is.

TC is a strange beast and, although I'm no engineer, I can't help but think that there'd be better ways to design the ride to ensure racing. For example, using a short holding section at the bottom of the lift that releases two trains onto the same (accelerated) chain link motor. While the poor station design doesn't exactly help matters, the main culprit is a GP that lacks full cognitive function. The ride ops on TC are consistently excellent, but they have a Sisyphean struggle on their hands given the ride's design and the difficulty guests have in performing simple tasks. Although I seem to luck out with races (I'd say 75% of my rides have raced), I wouldn't blame SFMM at all for giving up on the racing and considering a slight redesign in the future.

While this will definitely be an unpopular opinion, I honestly wouldn't mind if the park added lockers to TC. It seems to work for the most part on X2, and it wouldn't even cost that much to implement. All they would have to do is modify the queue a bit. Heck, they'd probably make all of that money back within a few years from locker rental revenue.