TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

At least they let you ride if you're in line. I had a miserable experience at Carrowinds last year. Park closed at 10pm, got in line for their mouse at about 9:55. Line was short, and we were happy we made it before the cut off.

Waited our time, got to the front, was next to ride, then the ride ops said "10pm! Ride's closed!" and didn't let us ride. And there were still people behind us, and more entering the line--and they turned them all away. I always thought that was pretty low. Fortunately, it was more for the credit than the thrill, but still pretty bad. I have never seen a park handle a ride's closing like that before.

I'm really surprised Carowinds did that. When I asked at Cedar Point, an employee said that it was their policy that anyone in line at closing gets to ride, and Carowinds is another Cedar Fair park.

But that's the exact kind of bush league move I meant on the previous page!

Every park I've been too will close the line either at park close or 15 min before park close (if its long). It all depends on supervisor on duty and the crew. Ive been in the station before 2-3 min before closing and they were making announcements of people running into the long line and jumping the barrier to leave since they had closed the line.

Well I wouldn't know about every park I've been to, but certainly at Magic Mountain, Knott's, Cedar Point, and Disneyland, I have on *multiple* visits done the "hustle to that one last ride 5 minutes before the park closes" and never been turned away unless the ride was closed already due to technical issues. I'm talking X2, Ghostrider, Valravn, and Space Mountain.

^^. I’m not sure about every coaster at SFMM, but I know for sure they always closed X/X2 early. Granted, that was 2001, but I can’t remember any of the other coasters closing earlier than park closing.

I went on X in 2001 (or was it 2002) a week after it delay-opened (think it was like a January or February trip) and can't remember that far back specifically, but lines back then were like 4+, 5+ hours long, so it would make sense that maybe they closed the line early if it got that absurd. But I just know there have been *plenty* of times where we got in line for X2 or other major rides in the park just minutes before the park closed, and feel like I would remember if I got turned away.

Maybe I've just been lucky?

Hey guys!

I'm visiting the park on November 20th and I was wondering how the crowds will be. I've never been to any Six Flags outside Mexico but I've been on a few Cedar Fair parks and I'm seriously concerned about the operations. I've heard they're pretty bad at SF Parks. So, being my first time and only one day available to visit it, do you consider as a good idea to get the flash pass in advance? Do you recommend any other days between November 18th and November 23th?

Thanks!

-Ed

I feel we should have a general information disclaimer or a link stickied at the top of this and the more popular threads like Cedar Point, laying out a plan of action for folks visiting who have never been to the park before, or just things that are known enthusiast knowledge, because it seems like we repeat the same crap to the same questions on almost every page?

I don't think ANYONE on this site has EVER suggested buying a Flash Pass BEFORE YOU GO TO THE PARK. It doesn't save you time, it doesn't save you money, it's just the parks way of getting people to spend money on upcharges they don't need but think they do before they even walk in the gate. It's like buying a parking pass before you get to the park...you don't get to skip the line or anything, and it's not any cheaper, so what's the point?

Everyone's plan of action is always go to the park, scope out the crowd, and decide from there. Very rarely will they go "unavailable" on a typical day, hell have they EVER gone unavailable? Maybe on the busiest 3 or 4 days of the year (bring a friend for free day)...so there's NO REASON to buy them before you get to the park.

On Nov 20 you are good to go! It is also Holiday In the Park. All Gold pass holders can bring a friend free those days. I am planning to do that, as the light displays are really well done. The fall is a really good time to go, only weekends have the chance of being busy. I would not buy FP in advance.

I don't think ANYONE on this site has EVER suggested buying a Flash Pass BEFORE YOU GO TO THE PARK. It doesn't save you time, it doesn't save you money,...

I digress on the above statement.

If you want to maximize your time at a park that you have never been to or only go once so often then yes, buy it in advance. It absolutely saves you time, I should know, I stood nearly an hour in line to get one one day. Some places it does save you money as well.

That being said, if you don't want to maximize time or making your decision on crowds, then yes, wait till you get there. Robb has made an excellent point that even on more quieter days, that flash pass makes your day much more enjoyable. (By the way Robb, do you buy them in advance for your trips out of curiosity.)

Went to the park tonight for Fright Fest with plans of buying Front of Line passes, but we turned around and left once we saw the state of the parking lot. By 6pm, all lots and dirt lots were maxed out and workers were trying to herd cars into a makeshift area I’ve never even seen before. It was at the base of a hill, so I assume there was nowhere else to go after that. We went tonight knowing it’d be packed as that’s part of the fun for Halloween, but this was something else. Hopefully it’s not as bad inside as it looked and people have fun, but we’ll definitely try for another night. Definitely curious to hear on-the-ground reports!

No. Those Vekoma suspended trains are terrible. I've ridden them on both Vampire and Dreamcatcher. They shake and rattle and actually made both coasters WORSE. I had ridden both of them with the original trains and the upgrades. Do NOT do this to Ninja! It would make the ride rough and uncomfortable and I guarantee would seal its fate.

No. Those Vekoma suspended trains are terrible. I've ridden them on both Vampire and Dreamcatcher. They shake and rattle and actually made both coasters WORSE. I had ridden both of them with the original trains and the upgrades. Do NOT do this to Ninja! It would make the ride rough and uncomfortable and I guarantee would seal its fate.

Oh, bummer. That's too bad because an open train would have been really cool what with it zipping through the trees. Maybe they can just take the shells off the current ones. No, that probably wouldn't work either.

The only thing I could think of to improve Ninja would be to ditch those shoulder bars. They're annoying, but not painful. I love that ride

Agree! Great ride even without the jungle. The restraints do cause a little of that cloastraphobia. Also got it on the vest restraints on x-flight sfgam.

While the Vekoma trains may not be a solution due to their bad design, I do think an improved inverted style swinging car where your legs dangle would definitely push Ninja up a notch in terms of thrills. Not that it needs them.

Ninja in any seat is a quickie, but a goodie. One of the first big rides I ever went on. I love it!

I bet if Six Flags did this it would be with the newer restraints and trains kind of like on freedom flyer but probably with a vest restraint similar to the SLC trains but not as bulky.

Oh, bummer. That's too bad because an open train would have been really cool what with it zipping through the trees. Maybe they can just take the shells off the current ones. No, that probably wouldn't work either.

There's no trees for it to zip through anymore...

When are the bring-a-friend-free days in October and November? For some reason, it won't let me log in to my season pass portal. Thanks.

there aren't any more this year. if there are, it will be one of those bonus days. but currently, it doesn't show any.