TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

SFMM Is closed today Saturday the 18th due to weather.[attachment=0]parkclosed.jpg[/attachment]

Any chance of a late opening? The weather looks to be perfectly fine now and is looking to be fine for the rest of the day.

Doubt they would open up after putting on their website they are closed today.

SFMM Is closed today Saturday the 18th due to weather.[attachment=0]parkclosed.jpg[/attachment]

Any chance of a late opening? The weather looks to be perfectly fine now and is looking to be fine for the rest of the day.

I would imagine that it is not just current weather conditions that matter, but rather that their employees were likely impacted by all the damage the heavy rain caused. The park may have been impacted as well and just chose not to report it.

I'll be making a trip to the park on Monday. Weather seems nice. Has anyone noticed that any rides are closed besides Riddler, tatsu, and apocalypse. I did read that long trip report post a page or two back but I'm assuming full throttle and superman were closed simply due to weather.

I want to preface this by saying this is a far out thought, with no information that it is, or could be happening. Its just a thought I had.

How many of you feel it is probable that MM could remove/relocate Goliath for a new coaster in its place? Such as a new, or traditional hyper?

I want to preface this by saying this is a far out thought, with no information that it is, or could be happening. Its just a thought I had.

How many of you feel it is probable that MM could remove/relocate Goliath for a new coaster in its place? Such as a new, or traditional hyper?

Goliath is extremely popular with the GP, the ride almost always has a line. I'd also assume the ride is fairly easy to maintain, other than the brake pads they go through for the mid course

So yeah, I don't see them removing Goliath, and if they did a 'traditional hyper' wouldn't fit in its spot.

While we're on the topic of Goliath, I've always wondered something.

What company or manufacturer supplies parts for Goliath and Titan? Since Giovanola is obviously out of business, is it Intamin? Or do they make them in house? I've always been curious if anybody knows.

This is just a wild guess, but B&M maybe?

Could be made in house too.

I would imagine it being very, very low. It would be easier for the park to design a new coaster/ride around whatever structures are currently located in the area they are considering. Given Goliath's popularity, the cost of testing the ground/zoning/permit for a new tunnel, etc. it just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, no.

There is no need and it would not worth the cost, etc... Goliath is already popular with GP and would be popular with enthusiasts with some revamps. The drop could be made better by making it steeper, it's a 250ft drop that is wasted b/c it has like a 60 degree angle. They could make there actual be air time where it should happen in other spots. They could revamp the middle ride break run, that kills the ride by bringing it to almost a complete stop. Change these things and it's like a new coaster b/c it changes the ride experience completely and won't cost the close to 18-20m for a new hyper coaster.

There is no need and it would not worth the cost, etc... Goliath is already popular with GP and would be popular with enthusiasts with some revamps. The drop could be made better by making it steeper, it's a 250ft drop that is wasted b/c it has like a 60 degree angle. They could make there actual be air time where it should happen in other spots. They could revamp the middle ride break run, that kills the ride by bringing it to almost a complete stop. Change these things and it's like a new coaster b/c it changes the ride experience completely and won't cost the close to 18-20m for a new hyper coaster.

By the park making the changes you just listed, they would be spending a boatload of money. Giovanola isn't around anymore to supply parts or new track. While B&M is a similar manufacturer, I doubt they would even touch the track. You cannot just remove track segments and build new ones like in RCT. It takes extremely careful engineering, if the original plans are even still around to help with the calculations.

The midcourse brake is on to help prevent extra wear on the trains. The GP really doesn't care, and the ride is pretty subpar anyways. The cost for 3 new B&M trains would probably exceed 1 million a piece (going off of Intamin's numbers). What benefit would the park be getting out of these changes?

^Not true. The Phantom and the Phantoms Revenge at Kennywood were created and modified by two completely different rollercoaster companies. Arrow designed the original coaster and Morgan came in an replaced most of the track with their own, creating new elements.

It can and has been done.

^Plus, Phantom's Revenge was almost a complete revamp. The only remaining components of the original coaster are the lift hill and the train chassises (chasses?). All the rest of the track was replaced with brand new track, thus minimizing the amount of retrofitting that Morgan had to do. They didn't just replace various pieces here and there.

There is no need and it would not worth the cost, etc... Goliath is already popular with GP and would be popular with enthusiasts with some revamps. The drop could be made better by making it steeper, it's a 250ft drop that is wasted b/c it has like a 60 degree angle.

True. I was quite disappointed with Goliath's drop the first time I rode it. Twisted Colossus's drop is honestly scarier, IMO. Even though it's only half the height of Goliath, the steepness makes all the difference.

^Also, the trouble with Goliath/Titan is that the drops stay at the same angle for almost the entire length of the drop. The drop would actually be much better if it only sloped to a 55 degree angle, then gradually moved down to a 60 degree angle, as opposed to going down at 60 degrees the entire way. The gradual slops technique is that B&M uses on their hypers.

However, the Giovanola hypers are not the only offenders of this. Phantom's Revenge's main drop is also shaped like this. Phantom's Revenge does have an amazing shot of airtime while entering the drop, but once the full slope is hit there is no airtime. (But In spite of that drop being overrated, Phantom's Revenge is still a great coaster).

But it also should be noted that the GP love Goliath. A surprising amount of people in the LA area will even say it is their favorite coaster in the park. I would bet that it is probably one of the top five coasters in the park, judging by GP opinion. I hear that a lot of people in the Dallas really love Titan as well, to the point that I am not really sure if even Texas Giant is more popular among the GP than Titan.

As much as these coasters could really benefit from a modification, at least not in the near future. Maybe it could happen in the very distant future, like 15 years in the future or more, if their popularity began to dwindle.

Goliath and Phantom's Revenge drops may not be all that crazy in a sense but I do love the fact that they feel like they go on forever. After all, they are 200ft + drops, they are going to be pretty great no matter what the shape.

But it also should be noted that the GP love Goliath. A surprising amount of people in the LA area will even say it is their favorite coaster in the park. I would bet that it is probably one of the top five coasters in the park, judging by GP opinion. I hear that a lot of people in the Dallas really love Titan as well, to the point that I am not really sure if even Texas Giant is more popular among the GP than Titan.

It's not like there's much else to compare it to nearby, let alone the entire state. (At least, not until CGA opens their hyper) For traditional hyper coasters, it's the best in the area simply by being the only one operating.

Also, most people who visit amusement parks are not enthusiasts and are therefore less picky about what roller coasters they ride. They'll be satisfied with a big drop and long track, which Goliath has.

I had a couple of hours to kill this evening, so I headed over to SFMM. After spending one of those hours driving from the SFV to SFMM (President's Day traffic ), I was surprised at how uncrowded the park was. Full Throttle was running, even though it had been drizzling rain this afternoon. I also got in my last ride on Revolution before VR-geddon arrives next weekend.

^Plus, Phantom's Revenge was almost a complete revamp. The only remaining components of the original coaster are the lift hill and the train chassises (chasses?). All the rest of the track was replaced with brand new track, thus minimizing the amount of retrofitting that Morgan had to do. They didn't just replace various pieces here and there.

There is no need and it would not worth the cost, etc... Goliath is already popular with GP and would be popular with enthusiasts with some revamps. The drop could be made better by making it steeper, it's a 250ft drop that is wasted b/c it has like a 60 degree angle.

True. I was quite disappointed with Goliath's drop the first time I rode it. Twisted Colossus's drop is honestly scarier, IMO. Even though it's only half the height of Goliath, the steepness makes all the difference.

Actually everything from the brakes to just over the top of the second drop stayed. DH changed everything else*.

* Yes I am aware that DH Changed the first drop but that was years after the ride was modified.

Totally off-topic, but the new Katy Perry video was shot at Magic Mountain, including footage on Full Throttle and shots of most of the parks coasters. The song is incredibly grating (imo) but the video features some really cool effects.