TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parc Asterix Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Parc Asterix, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

July 6th, 2006 - 6-year old dies on River Styx Raft ride (SEE BELOW!)

April 6th, 2008 - Le Defi de Cesar, a well themed Mad House opens

October 30th, 2008 - Tonnerre de Zeus getting new trains

February 22nd, 2011 - New B&M Invert for 2012

June 18th, 2011 - Vol d'Icare stalls

December 16th, 2011 - B&M invert name is announced: Oz'Iris

February 11th, 2013 - Goudurix to be retracked by Vekoma!

December 19th, 2014 - Park mentions new coaster for 2017

July 8th, 2015 - DiskoBelix announced

July 12th, 2016 - Artwork for Pegase Express

August 22, 2017 - malfunction on Oxygenarium slide

May 20th, 2018 - Intmain launched coaster announced for 2021

September 10th, 2018 - 5D Cinema announced for 2019

Original Post:

Thursday, July 6, 2006

Three employees testify after the drowning at Asterix Park

Three employees in charged of the artificial river had to explain the circumstances of the drowning, to the Public Prosecutor

On Wednesday, a little kid fell of a boat and slipped into the artificial river, where it's at its deepest (9 feet deep) and where water is not the clearest.

Minutes after he fell, 7-8 people plunged trying to find him but only was found 20mns after.

The ride is closed since and will probably be until the end of the enquiry.

(I leave the link to the French news)

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/06072006/5/trois-employes-entendus-apres-une-noyade-au-parc-asterix.html

Apparently this occurred in the "wave pool" section of the ride. A similar section is found in the photos below. Most parks have disabled or removed these sections of the ride, due to how unpredictable they are. The wave makers found in these sections are nearly identical to those used in wave pools.

Boats can easily get stuck, and the water is pretty deep. In fact, we rammed into the rocks on the side by the wave maker very hard, and stayed there for more than ten seconds.

Photos from Raging River at Adventureland (Iowa). You can see the wave maker on the top area of the picture.

376811052_DC400981(Medium).JPG.960da2c7e67a01b49b700dc12767e422.JPG

Wave pool section

1912734107_DC400980(Medium).JPG.f92da51637b5d0ac7c9f273a91ddab9b.JPG

Wave pool section

Wow... this has got to be the first death that was because of the ride... that's really unfortunate and I'm suprised that those water rides don't at least have a seat belt. (never riding the river raft rides, I wouldn't know)

I guess the mythology is true, if you touch the River Styx, you die. Poor kid, but they had to be standing if they ended up in the water. Its not like the boat capsized like years ago at SFOT.

Someone must have gotten the kids attention and told him "Come Sail Away with me!". Well, domo arigato, Mr Roboto, the rapids ride was a Renegade who had it made, but now it looks like its just going to close down for a while, giving the rest of the guests saying "I've got Too Much Time On My Hands, can you Show Me The Way to another water ride." Hopefully they fix the Boat On A River, remove the wave section, maybe installing seatbelts too, and that they Don't Let It End this way.

from the latest news (but not stated as an official report)

it was a summer camp with belgian kids on a trip

the boat didn't have any adult from the group riding it ... only 5-6 kids

(while the rules of the ride say to have one adult)

the kids have been told by other riders in other boats to sit down, cuz they were standing up

the kids had quite large back packs on them

one adult from another boat jumped after a minute

a park employee jumped too after

no life jacket ... no seat belt (from what i heard none on it, but i don't remember riding any with a seatbelt) ... and if it was to tip over, the seatbelt would be the one drowning you ... so either way there would always be a risk

i understand it's a tragedy that a kid died in it, and it's very sad. But if people were following the rules when riding anything ... even a coaster ... less problems would happen

for example the disney accident that is reported in TPR ... why the mother would make her son ride a thrilling coaster by a 4 year old ? she's more responsible than Disney.

I don't think i'll hear more about this in the news ... but as i didn't see it on yahoo.com or other news online, i was to tell you guys.

Take care

That event is unfortunate. I noticed many parks are modifying their water rides to (hopefully) reduce the chances of incidents like this.

BGE modified their water ride in part for similar reasons.

• 1 year later...

While Disney present is new attraction, the Tower of Terror, Parc Astérix has open yesterday his new attraction, a mad house, "Le défit de César" (Cesar challenge).

It's for the park the most expensive attraction (11M €, approx 17M of $), with 3 preshows (with 1 sally animatronic) and a 80 persons main show.

All the Pics: fans du PA forum

And the video : FansduPa forum

Looks like another Vekoma Mad House or something like that?

If there is not a line I would do it, but once you've done one of these rides, the rest of them don't really interest me that much.

--Robb

He said it cost about $17mil US, so it better be the most pimped out Mad House ever (if that is what it actually is)!

I translated their small page on the ride via Babelfish:

In 2008, César puts to you with the test! César recruits spies to infiltrate the camp of irreducible Gaulois... Will you be able to fulfill the requirements of an intensive drive? The end of the test will mark your spirits forever.

Ahh, the Vekoma Mad House. I went on one at SFNE in 2007 and it was WEIRD. It was actually pretty nicely themed for the most part, and the greeter person/whatever couldn't stop laughing for some reason.

Looks like another Vekoma Mad House or something like that?

This one was built by Mack but sensations are like all the other mad house, dependant to the programming.

I don't try the attraction but according to person who try a lot of mad house, this one was good.

The principal new in the main show is the presence of screens in order to give you sensation to be shake by Astérix & Obelix (you are in a galley).

The préshow are more "interactive". A pic of your face are take and use for the show with roman.

I went on one at SFNE in 2007 and it was WEIRD.

Yes, it's weird but they could became a good attraction if the theming is fine.

But only one time per visit, not like a good coaster

I try the SFNE version and in my opinion, this one was one of the most scrapy that i try. Theming is too mediocre as compared with the other.

SFGAdv version is exactly the same ? With proximity of El Toro, my choice was very fast

I have done Le défi de César yesterday on a big meeting (with a nice ERT on Tonnerre in the morning) and I can say it is my favorite madhouse. It is really great with all the new technology and I didnt expected all those things. I just thought that it would be a normal madhouse with very good theming, but it was much more than that. I am not giving away any secrets, just do it.

The ones I have done:

-The Haunting

-Hex

-Villa Volta

-Palais du Genie

-Het huis van Houdini

-Kassandra's Fluch

-Merlins Magic Castle

-Le défi de César

Hex on number 2 and Villa Volta on 3

My first experience with one of these madhouses was Alton's Hex, which would be pretty tough to beat. The preshows might make this one worth checking out.