Parc Asterix Discussion Thread

P. 82: Accident on Spinning Raft Ride
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Parc Asterix Discussion Thread

Postby sebastienstuff » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:48 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Parc Asterix, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

April 6th, 2008 - Le Defi de Cesar, a well themed Mad House opens
October 30th, 2008 - Tonnerre de Zeus getting new trains

February 22nd, 2011 - New B&M Invert for 2012
June 18th, 2011 - Vol d'Icare stalls
December 16th, 2011 - B&M invert name is announced: Oz'Iris

February 11th, 2013 - Goudurix to be retracked by Vekoma!

December 19th, 2014 - Park mentions new coaster for 2017

July 8th, 2015 - DiskoBelix announced

July 12th, 2016 - Artwork for Pegase Express

August 22, 2017 - malfunction on Oxygenarium slide

Thursday, July 6, 2006

Three employees testify after the drowning at Asterix Park

Three employees in charged of the artificial river had to explain the circumstances of the drowning, to the Public Prosecutor

On Wednesday, a little kid fell of a boat and slipped into the artificial river, where it's at its deepest (9 feet deep) and where water is not the clearest.

Minutes after he fell, 7-8 people plunged trying to find him but only was found 20mns after.

The ride is closed since and will probably be until the end of the enquiry.

(I leave the link to the French news)
http://fr.news.yahoo.com/06072006/5/trois-employes-entendus-apres-une-noyade-au-parc-asterix.html
Last edited by SharkTums on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 am.

¡Vamos a Seis Banderas!

Postby pvcoasterguy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:23 am

Apparently this occurred in the "wave pool" section of the ride. A similar section is found in the photos below. Most parks have disabled or removed these sections of the ride, due to how unpredictable they are. The wave makers found in these sections are nearly identical to those used in wave pools.

Boats can easily get stuck, and the water is pretty deep. In fact, we rammed into the rocks on the side by the wave maker very hard, and stayed there for more than ten seconds.

Photos from Raging River at Adventureland (Iowa). You can see the wave maker on the top area of the picture.
DC400980 (Medium).JPG
Wave pool section
DC400981 (Medium).JPG
Wave pool section

I Smell Funny

Postby Golfie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:15 am

Wow... this has got to be the first death that was because of the ride... that's really unfortunate and I'm suprised that those water rides don't at least have a seat belt. (never riding the river raft rides, I wouldn't know)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coastakid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:06 pm

They do have a seatbelt, or all the ones I ride do... Let's just say I have't seen one without a seatbelt.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:16 pm

I have only been on four river rapids (Liseberg, Thorpe Park, Gardaland and Mirabilandia), but Ive yet to see one WITH a seatbelt. I guess the seatbelts is a "only in America"-thing...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby BorisTF » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:23 pm

I don't remember having to wear a Seatbelt at BGA or IOA though...perhaps I'm going senile though

¡Vamos a Seis Banderas!

Postby pvcoasterguy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 pm

^ Both of those have seat belts.

The seat belts are an American thing.

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:08 pm

I guess the mythology is true, if you touch the River Styx, you die. Poor kid, but they had to be standing if they ended up in the water. Its not like the boat capsized like years ago at SFOT.

Someone must have gotten the kids attention and told him "Come Sail Away with me!". Well, domo arigato, Mr Roboto, the rapids ride was a Renegade who had it made, but now it looks like its just going to close down for a while, giving the rest of the guests saying "I've got Too Much Time On My Hands, can you Show Me The Way to another water ride." Hopefully they fix the Boat On A River, remove the wave section, maybe installing seatbelts too, and that they Don't Let It End this way.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Oh good god, first Wes' Aerosmith RnR comments and now Styx.....

I Love Donkeys!

update on the drowning

Postby sebastienstuff » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:06 pm

from the latest news (but not stated as an official report)

it was a summer camp with belgian kids on a trip
the boat didn't have any adult from the group riding it ... only 5-6 kids
(while the rules of the ride say to have one adult)
the kids have been told by other riders in other boats to sit down, cuz they were standing up
the kids had quite large back packs on them
one adult from another boat jumped after a minute
a park employee jumped too after

no life jacket ... no seat belt (from what i heard none on it, but i don't remember riding any with a seatbelt) ... and if it was to tip over, the seatbelt would be the one drowning you ... so either way there would always be a risk

i understand it's a tragedy that a kid died in it, and it's very sad. But if people were following the rules when riding anything ... even a coaster ... less problems would happen

for example the disney accident that is reported in TPR ... why the mother would make her son ride a thrilling coaster by a 4 year old ? she's more responsible than Disney.

I don't think i'll hear more about this in the news ... but as i didn't see it on yahoo.com or other news online, i was to tell you guys.

Take care

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!