Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 75 - Waldameer video mentions a future roller coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby coastermaniac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Always a great park to visit. Besides Ravine Flyer II (which is still amazing in my opinion), the park has many other attractions that are quite fun.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:44 am

Trip planning time! Going to be at Waldameer June 2, a Saturday. Obviously I'm there mainly for Ravine Flyer II, but that new water slide looks pretty fun as well. I'll probably get the combo wristband and spend some time in the waterpark.

Waldameer's website has an interesting phrase: "Rides begin opening at noon, all rides open by 1." So I'm guessing it would be better to head straight to the water park at opening, then do rides after?

Also, what rides have long and/or slow moving lines that I may want to do early? Definitely want to do the two dark rides, the sky ride, the flume, and the coasters. Are any of the flats especially good, can't miss? They're all types I've been on before, so they'll be as time allows unless there's something special that bumps a particular flat into can't miss territory.

Thanks!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am

^ June 2nd might be too early for the water park around these parts, Andrew. :lol:

I will say that I have been to the water park in the middle of August and thought that the water in the lazy river felt like it was about 50 degrees. I assume (or at least hope) that the new attractions have heated water, but some of the workers that post on here regularly could probably answer that question for you.

In terms of the park, I would try to get the Whacky Shack out of the way first as that usually has a fair line and it moves slooooow. The rest of the ride lines usually aren't that bad, but on a Saturday (if it's a nice day), they could be.

Must do's are pretty much the rides that you mentioned, although definitely try their Music Express because they run it on full speed. Very reminiscent of a European fair flat.

Another don't miss is XScream. Given that Waldameer is on a hill overlooking Lake Erie, that 140' seems like about 3-400' if you are facing the lake. This one definitely took me by surprise - one of the more thrilling drop towers out there!

Take a spin on the ferris wheel & swings for more spectacular views of Lake Erie and Presque Isle.

Everything else is pretty much your standard flat ride collection if you're into those...Tilt A Whirl, Paratrooper, Disk-O, etc...all fun rides.

Judging from your past trip reports and posts on here, I can tell already that you are going to LOVE Waldameer! It really is a great little family park with some good thrill rides and a decent water park thrown in.

The only downfall is that they don't serve beer. lol

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm

I LOVED Waldameer and they had one of the best rain policies I've ever seen. Despite the fact the park was a ghost town and clearly losing money, they stayed open despite torrential downpours basically non-stop during my visit.

While crowds weren't an issue for my visit, based on the dispatch speed I saw, I'd expect that Steel Dragon and Whacky Shack would have the two slowest moving lines. They only had one train on each of the wooden coasters, so I could see those lines being longer than most others as well, but manageable.

I skipped the water park so I can't comment on any of those. Oh and make sure you try the deep fried pretzel!
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Parque Espana & Legoland Japan

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JJLehto » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:34 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Trip planning time! Going to be at Waldameer June 2, a Saturday. Obviously I'm there mainly for Ravine Flyer II, but that new water slide looks pretty fun as well. I'll probably get the combo wristband and spend some time in the waterpark.

Waldameer's website has an interesting phrase: "Rides begin opening at noon, all rides open by 1." So I'm guessing it would be better to head straight to the water park at opening, then do rides after?

Also, what rides have long and/or slow moving lines that I may want to do early? Definitely want to do the two dark rides, the sky ride, the flume, and the coasters. Are any of the flats especially good, can't miss? They're all types I've been on before, so they'll be as time allows unless there's something special that bumps a particular flat into can't miss territory.

Thanks!

Seems the second is a Saturday? Any way you can do a Friday? I only ask because I did Waldameer on a Friday as part of my CP trip and the park was utterly empty. I got there a little after opening and I was literally one of a few cars. There were a handful of people. Buses came in later, but by then I was able to do everything. I went just to get to OH early but if I stayed could've done everything tons of times.
It was a fun lil park. I'm skipping it this CP trip for Kennywood but you'll enjoy it :)
Top 10 Steel: Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Storm Runner, Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World New creds: 26

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Ha, hadn't even considered it might be cold then. Around here, it's been full on summer for about a month by then, and highs in the 80s are normal. Guess I'll have to see what the weather is like when I get there.

As for the date, it's locked in. Coastermania is the day before, and I'm stopping here between CP and Kennywood. So Saturday it is.

Great ride and food recommendations, just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JJLehto » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:52 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Ha, hadn't even considered it might be cold then. Around here, it's been full on summer for about a month by then, and highs in the 80s are normal. Guess I'll have to see what the weather is like when I get there.

As for the date, it's locked in. Coastermania is the day before, and I'm stopping here between CP and Kennywood. So Saturday it is.

Great ride and food recommendations, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Ah I understand, figured it was built around Coastermania. I did that exact same thing, it's indeed a GREAT way to fill out a Coastermania trip.
Top 10 Steel: Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Storm Runner, Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World New creds: 26

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Ha, hadn't even considered it would be cold then.

Fixed that for ya there, Andrew! :lol:

Seriously though...take the time that you would be spending at the water park and go to a U-Pick Six Public House on Rte 20 for lunch (it's a stone's throw away) and have the bacon grape flatbread and a couple of brews.

You can thank me later! ;)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Just looked that up, and it looks awesome! Thanks!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Trip planning time! Going to be at Waldameer June 2, a Saturday. Obviously I'm there mainly for Ravine Flyer II, but that new water slide looks pretty fun as well. I'll probably get the combo wristband and spend some time in the waterpark.

Thanks!

You will not need a strategy for June 2. That is notoriously the slowest Saturday between Memorial Day and Labor Day. We are talking less than 10-15min at peak for Ravine Flyer II with one train.

As for ride opening times, we took a page out of Seabreeze's book and stagger rides for some to open at noon with the remainder by 1:00pm. I am actually in the lobbying stage to get Ravine Flyer II bumped up to noon, but right now it is a 1:00pm opening any day the park is scheduled to close at 10:00pm.

Unique non-coasters are the two dark rides, XScream for its great view, and Music Express for its intense program.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!