TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Coaster Ever?

A bit off topic, but I have no understanding as to why Batwing and Firehawk even get brought up in conversations like these.

These two rides are as smooth as B&M's. And yet, B&M built a ride with the exact same order of elements, just with a 540 degree roll added in (Starry Sky Ripper in China), and suddenly it is the best thing ever. I somewhat understand the hate for Nighthawk (it is the roughest of three three by far, but the hate for the other two makes no sense to me.

Also, having a mediocre layout does not make for the "worst coaster ever." Yes, maybe S:UF clones do waste some potential, but worst coaster ever? Not in this universe. To find a truly bad coaster, try any SLC, or New York New York, or recall that there used to exist Togo standups in North America. I only rode Shockwave. Skyrider/Freestyle must be awful, though. Who would want to ride a Togo standup with a trick track in it?

Togo knew what standup coasters were about, making you feel vulnerable. Didn't you feet come off the floor, how cool is that? NYNY was ugly but not at all a bad coaster on my one ride. SLCs should have been fixed before they built so many, but still they were good rides for their times and I loved the hell out of them when I (and they) was younger. Rode GN'E 25x one night back when it was still pink, so much fun (I was riding with friend who weighed 280 lbs. at the time, it wasn't until much later I figured out what all the complaining was about in the first place).

All they'd have to do to make these "flying" coasters a lot better is get rid of the headrest so you can turn your head further up and see where you're... oh yeah, if you're not front row all you're going to see is feet. How is not being able to see where you're going and being in an uncomfortable position, and going through an extremely mild layout except for the obligatory pretzel loop torture device, a good thing? Sure, you may not be able to beat them for a WTF ride, but that's one and done without ever returning, not a very good use for a millions dollar ride. I do agree with is that the Vekomas are just as good as the B&Ms.

Dominator makes me feel like I can fly. Superman:UF makes me think I don't even want to.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Anaconda is a great ride. It has a great setting, really fun drop and nice inversions. It's pretty rough around the edges and throws you around a little bit, but it's not to the point where I find it painful, so that just adds to the character and appeal to me. The only part where I actually got headbanging is the awkward transition between the two turns after the brake run, before the corkscrews. I was able to ride it 3 times in a row with no problems.

On the flying coaster debate: I've only been on one and it was Firehawk.

That thing is terrible. The overbank thing is the only "fun" part of the ride, and that's all relative. The restraints and trains just flat out suck and the layout doesn't help. The ride is just really boring and uncomfortable.

I think Anaconda is a great ride. It has a great setting, really fun drop and nice inversions. It's pretty rough around the edges and throws you around a little bit, but it's not to the point where I find it painful, so that just adds to the character and appeal to me. The only part where I actually got headbanging is the awkward transition between the two turns after the brake run, before the corkscrews. I was able to ride it 3 times in a row with no problems.

Anaconda has some jerky transitions, but fortunately, the crappy Arrow restraints fit so tight over my shoulders that it eliminated any possible headbanging. So yay for two negatives cancelling each other out!

I ride Superman at SFGAd all the time, and it's pretty fun. I've been on batwing at SFA this season, and I actually liked it even more. So for the most part I'm a fan of flying coasters. But Soarin' Eagle at Luna Park on the other hand...TEAR THAT THING TO THE GROUND!!!!! so those are my thoughts on the 3 types of flying coasters.

This one

That reminds me of when i was a little kid like 9 or 10 and lived in my childhood neighborhood,we took cardboard from a fridge box and flattened it out on my stairs. We got a plastic bob sled and would use it to slide down the cardboard slide. The bottom had tarp or something of that sort. Not as dangerous as Ed Edd n Eddy's coaster though lol but it sure did fall into the "ghetto roller coaster" category! lol. As a kid it was awesome though....it sure passed the time. As kids we were good at making our own carnival "rides" I had one of those Little Tikes climbing gyms from the 90s. http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1990images/activitygym.jpg it was that. We would hang onto the climb grips and someone would tip the structure over with us holding on and we would go for a ride! Or they would put the toy on its side and lean forward and have the whole thing tip but i was never brave enough to do that one...lol Another example is one of their relatives built a big wooden box on wheels and would spin us in the garage with the lights off but i only remember riding it at Halloween parties. I do miss being a kid lol

• 5 months later...

Out of what I've ridden, it by far goes to Grizzly at CGA. It's got the two worst qualities in a coaster to start; uncomfortable and boring. But mostly, it's so gosh-damn slow and nothing fun about it. It's also really rough in some spots. Such a dumb, awful coaster

Because I had heard that Grizzly at CGA sucked so much that it even ended up at the dead bottom of a poll for wooden coasters one year, I expected Grizzly at KD to be equally as bad. However, it was actually a really good ride and the best wooden coaster at KD (and one of my favorites anywhere).To my surprise, that seemed to be the popular sentiment here as well. Why does CGA's suck so much but not KD's?

Because I had heard that Grizzly at CGA sucked so much that it even ended up at the dead bottom of a poll for wooden coasters one year, I expected Grizzly at KD to be equally as bad. However, it was actually a really good ride and the best wooden coaster at KD (and one of my favorites anywhere).To my surprise, that seemed to be the popular sentiment here as well. Why does CGA's suck so much but not KD's?

CGA's has absolutely no airtime, is slow as hell, and has the worst restraint system ever created

CGA's has absolutely no airtime, is slow as hell, and has the worst restraint system ever created

I 100%, whole-heartedly second this

Grizzly at KD is amazing. I love that ride.

For me personally, the worst coaster I've been on may have to go to Villain at Geauga Lake.

This was tough, Anaconda @ KD, a Vekoma SLC, Great American Scream Machine/Viper are all down there, but in the end Villian was the only time I was scared on a ride. Not in a fun way either, in a "I dont feel safe I may die will this structure even hold up?" way. It was the most painfully rough coaster I've been on, I recall it being just drop to brake run agony. I like a rough ride, I like Wildcat @ Hershey, even when Hercules was at Dorney. Villain was just terrible though. I went in 2007 the park's last year, so in retrospect it makes sense...ride was literally in its death throws. It looked physically in bad shape too.

So what's the deal with Arrow looper restraints? Do they eliminate headbanging for shorter or taller people? I was 7-8 inches shorter than I am now last time I rode an Arrow looper but I don't think it's worth riding one to find out

Taller. Anaconda's restraints fit so tight over my shoulders that headbanging was nonexistent, and I'm not even that tall (6 feet.) Still pretty janky and not particularly fun, but at least my brain was intact afterwards.

I have to say Goliath at SFNE is pretty bad, it's one of the few coasters I have ridden and said that I really wouldn't ever ride again. It rattled so much and was so rough especially on my head. The initial drop was fine but after that it was terrible. Anaconda for me was pretty bad too, just rough the whole time. The Wildcat at Hershey used to be really bad with the original trains by with the newer flyer trains its a lot better.

The two rides share a name and both opened in the 80's but aside from that they have nothing in common. The layouts are entirely different and the one in California is running Morgan Trains which can effectively suck the fun out of pretty much any wood coaster.

Wait a second, was I suddenly transported into some sort of Bizarro World over the weekend or something? How do you people think Grizzly at Kings Dominion is ANYTHING but absolutely dreadful? That ride is like every body and headache I've ever had condensed into two minutes. I'd rather be thrown off a helicopter into a garbage barge than ride Grizzly.