TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

^ I had no clue they would give you an employee! I've never rode it because I've only visited there by myself.

I apologize, When I said Employee, I meant Ride-Op working Jet Star 2.

No one made you ride Jet Star 2 now did they? lol I believe I rode it with Guy, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Riding Jet Star 2 is a generally unpleasant experience. It was somewhat better long ago when single riders were allowed, decreasing crotch and potential head contact with other riders. It's got a cool name though.

My previous report that Roller Coaster's station roof had been removed was incorrect, but I still hear it's getting new trains.

^ I had no clue they would give you an employee! I've never rode it because I've only visited there by myself.

No one made you ride Jet Star 2 now did they? lol I believe I rode it with Guy, if I remember correctly.

Yes. Thank you Sid for taking that bullet for me. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Oh, It looks like I have a gig there in SLC at the end of the summer next year. I will be looking to spend a couple of extra days to head out to Lagoon again. This pleases me greatly.

Yes. Thank you Sid for taking that bullet for me. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Oh, It looks like I have a gig there in SLC at the end of the summer next year. I will be looking to spend a couple of extra days to head out to Lagoon again. This pleases me greatly.

Just give me a couple weeks warning, I mean notice. [emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...

Hydro Luge is being dismantled and it looks like a high-voltage line is being installed leading to its location. This is the location that was predicted for the rumored 2019(ish) 'Primordial' coaster.

If they build a "Primordial" themed coaster it would be nice to have a food stand next to it that serves soup.

Hydro Luge is being dismantled and it looks like a high-voltage line is being installed leading to its location. This is the location that was predicted for the rumored 2019(ish) 'Primordial' coaster.

If they build a "Primordial" themed coaster it would be nice to have a food stand next to it that serves soup.

This would be Awesome!!!!!

Is there any kind of rumor as what kind of coaster this Primordial is/was supposed to be? Steel, wood. In house, out of house?

The original rumor was that it would be a mostly indoor, interactive, in-house, dark ride coaster built in an artificial mountain, something like Wonder Mountain's Guardian. Later I heard that the interactive feature they were testing involved shooting actual physical balls from the train and that didn't work out, so the plan had changed.

Since then I've heard that it would be:

1. ART Rapids Flume (not a coaster)

2. GCI Woodie

3. B&M

4. So intense it will make Cannibal look like a kiddie ride.

Each of these claims has come from somebody connected to the park in some way, so take your pick. I have no idea anymore.

Some people might say it will definitely be in-house because Lagoon has proven they can do it. I think it's possible that Lagoon learned how difficult and budget overrunny in-house coasters can be with Cannibal and might look at other options.

I have a feeling some people who will see this know something more but don't feel like sharing. I say, tell us what you think/know. The earth will continue to spin and everything will be fine. The worst thing that's going to happen is that some people outside of Utah may show some interest in Lagoon (maybe).

*edit: Or tell me what you think/know and I'll pass it on without revealing your identity.

I was trying to think of what Lagoon should add next, but the park is still small enough that they could add almost anything for it to be a major addition. (Except for a Eurofighter. This park has enough compact coasters with small trains).

This is just me dreaming, but I think a Mack coaster along the lines of Alpina Blitz or Storm (Etnaland) would be a perfect addition to the park, but there is basically a zero percent chance of that happening considering how expensive Mack coasters are (I assume?) and that Lagoon seems to prefer designing and building things in-house (which is fine by me, because Cannibal kicks a$$).

I’m excited for whatever is coming in 2019. I plan on following construction closely since it’s my secondary home park!

I was trying to think of what Lagoon should add next, but the park is still small enough that they could add almost anything for it to be a major addition. (Except for a Eurofighter. This park has enough compact coasters with small trains).

Agreed, a Eurofighter doesn't make much sense for the park, especially since Wicked is basically a launched Eurofighter. As much as I'd love to see a B&M hyper or invert at Lagoon, it's probably not in the budget. But something like a Chance Hyper GT-X would be perfect for Lagoon as the park really doesn't have any airtime coasters.

Cannibal's budget was $22 Million, and it ended up costing several million more than that. From what I've seen it gave the park a big attendance boost over the last three seasons. I don't really know the numbers, but the park may be thinking that big investments will pay off, especially if they can keep them within budget. Traditionally they have added a new ride every year, but we didn't get one in 2016 and aren't expecting one in 2018, so they may be be shifting to a bigger but less frequent new ride frame of mind.

Lagoon likes to not announce rides until after they open, but we're expecting construction throughout 2018 to give us a pretty good idea of what's going on. Lagoon was still denying they were building anything when the first pieces of Cannibal's track were installed and visible to guests.

Even if the budget was over on Cannibal, Terroride's custom in-house refurb went over smoothly this year, and I expect the same outcome from Dracula's Castle's refurb coming next year (rumoured.) I don't think they are ready to stop on in-house ride additions. BomBora was technically Lagoon's first in-house ride as well, and it didn't go over budget.

This year doesn't seem like a new ride addition, but I say the budget is for new rides is still being spent elsewhere. Screamer was dismantled before the season ended for what is rumored to be new bathrooms in that location, as Screamer would be moving with Samurai over by the new bathrooms that opened this year near Cannibal. With the rumoured in-house custom set rebuild for Dracula's Castle and new trains for Roller Coaster, I see the budget as well spent for this year and still give what the local gp want. The biggest complaints from gp were the bathrooms and how the older rides "look like they are falling apart."

From what I've heard, Primordial isn't looking at an opening until 2020 or 2021. Also, the rumor holding up still that it's a dinosaur themed water ride with a budget somewhere between $12-20 million including a mountain.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance but is a "rapids flume" different from a regular log flume?

To be fair, I wasn't specifically told it was this model, I was told it was a "cross between Rattlesnake Rapids and Log Flume". I noticed that ART Engineering (who manufactured trains for Bombora, Cannibal and Wonder Mountain's Guardian) makes a ride that fits this description and I put 2 and 2 together.

But the person who told me this later said they think it's actually going to be a coaster and up until the post just above I haven't had anyone who might know things acknowledge the water ride rumor as a real possibility. Then again, the fact that nobody wants to talk to me about it may give it more credibility.

If it is a longer version of what's pictured, in a mountain, creating a nice long dark ride, I am completely happy with that. I love water based dark rides. A dinosaur themed dark ride has actually topped my list of what I think Lagoon needs for a couple of years now.

Lagoon has so many flat rides that I think they should focus on coasters and dark rides every few years instead of a new flat every year. I do however want to see them get a giant frisbee.

Agreed, a Eurofighter doesn't make much sense for the park, especially since Wicked is basically a launched Eurofighter. As much as I'd love to see a B&M hyper or invert at Lagoon, it's probably not in the budget. But something like a Chance Hyper GT-X would be perfect for Lagoon as the park really doesn't have any airtime coasters.

The last official statement by the park was $26 Million had been spent on Cannibal as of August/September 2015. That was before modifications were made to the columns to further stabilize the Inverted Loop, and the additions of Hydraulic Rams for the lift platforms at the base of the tower this year, as well as a laundry list of other tweaks made the winter of 2015/2016.

Lagoon obviously didn't want a Eurofighter to begin with, as they were not able to control as much of the engineering as they could with ZIERER and Wicked, and we all know how well the Track and those Columns turned out. That is why Lagoon Designed, Engineered, and essentially Manufactured BomBora and Cannibal. They were able to use firms they trust, like ART Engineering GmbH for their Engineering Services, Intermountain Lift, Inc. for Track Fabrication, Peterson Incorporated for Columns, etc. Why pay someone else when you have the staff that are equally qualified?

Honestly, the only reason it's been a more solid rumor is because the water ride is what is talked about more as of late, however plans can change easily with this place. I remember when Cannibal was supposedly going to be named Savage before the name Cannibal showed up. If it is back to a dark ride coaster hybrid of sorts, I'm all for it as well. Either is a good idea.

I can see a couple more flats in due time, but I noticed a while back how Lagoon has one of the highest amount of rides that flip you upside down, (8) so I don't see them getting any thrilling flat rides anytime soon, but I would LOVE for a any giant frisbee at Lagoon.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Sources confirm the 2018 new train rumor for Roller Coaster is definitely happening, with a likely re-track as well. The work is currently under way. It's still not clear if they are Millennium Flyers or an all-new design from ART Engineering.

As much as I love the GhostRider renovation, I really hope they aren’t Millennium Flyers. The best part of Roller Coaster was the lack of seatbelts and the super loose PTC lap bars, allowing for awesome airtime. I’d really hate to see new trains that keep you stapled in your seat.

I’m glad it’s getting some love, but if the new trains take away all the airtime, I think it will definitely get knocked down a couple rankings for best ride in the park, IMO. Currently, it’s my second favorite behind Cannibal.

It's hard for me to know since I haven't actually tried out Millennium Flyers. I don't see Lagoon opting for the seat belt version if it is the case. Before an incident in 1989 where somebody fell from the lift hill the trains had buzz bars, which I liked much better, so I've always been disappointed with the current lap bars and have no love for them. I hope I'm not disappointed even further.

I did not find Roller Coaster to be exciting when I rode it in 2016. I do not remember any air to speak of. I remember hitting the side of the car hard on one of the turns. I can't imagine new trains ruining a ride that is pretty much unforgettable.

I did not find Roller Coaster to be exciting when I rode it in 2016. I do not remember any air to speak of. I remember hitting the side of the car hard on one of the turns. I can't imagine new trains ruining a ride that is pretty much unforgettable.

I'm guessing you mean forgettable.

It definitely depends on where you sit. You're not going to get any air in the front seat. There's a bit at the top of a couple of the bigger hills, and there are some really nice little bumps at the end. I can totally see the 97 year old unbanked turns as uncomfortable for some, but if you're riding it on 9th grade Lagoon day with one of the prettiest girls in school and she gets pushed into you as you get pushed into the side you appreciate them more. The newly installed seat dividers didn't help though.

If it happens to be the first roller coaster you ever rode, it really is unforgettable.