TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

So one last question before I head to the park next weekend. I was watching a video of Samurai, but I notice on it's sign it said 8 tickets. Is Lagoon a park where you pay per ride on top of park admission, or has that changed and they just haven't removed the sign?

You can only get an all-day pass at the gate, and all rides (except the upcharge rides) are included. The ride attendants will check your handstamp for every ride. The reasoning behind the handstamp check and the ticket thing is that sometimes a group event can take place where people in the group can enter without an all-day pass, and those people need to buy tickets to ride. From what I can tell it's now some mythical thing that never actually happens anymore.

You'll be able to ride without worrying about tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update about what's happening at Lagoon for the TPR peeps.

Currently we are awaiting the re-opening of Terroride. The ride has been heavily updated with an apparent storyline and all new scenes by film director Joseph Wartnerchaney and the Utah Opera scenic dept. The original mural by Bill Tracy that was removed in 2010 has been put back, although with a dancing man painted out. We don't know much more, Lagoon is highly secretive, but we believe it will open any time now.

Here's an article about it (and new SoCal attractions).

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5152530-155/whats-new-at-lagoon-its-a

Word is that the park's other Bill Tracy dark ride, Dracula's Castle may receive similar treatment next year.

And then there's this:

We hear Lagoon is looking at opening another roller coaster in the 2020ish season. The word 'interactive' has been thrown around. Of note, Lagoon's last two 'in-house' coasters have trains that were built by ART Engineering GmbH, who also built the trains for Wonder Mountain's Guardian. These plans could change, apparently there have been some issues with utilities at the intended site.

There's a new hour long local PBS documentary about Lagoon up on facebook for a limited time. It focuses mainly on the 1886-1970 time frame. It focuses a lot on non-ride attractions and concerts over the years. It's crazy to me that it has the only decent image of the park's pre-Terroride dark ride I've ever seen, and it's Janis Joplin riding it.

https://www.facebook.com/kuedchannel7/

The Dark Ride Project is supposed to be at Lagoon tomorrow to take 360º VR video of the park's two dark rides for preservation purposes. I think that's a fantastic idea. I think every park should VR video every attraction, both when it's new and before it's removed, so that in the future the park can offer VR historical rides.

It's too bad they didn't get Terroride before the revamp. It's also too bad that Dracula's Castle is not in the greatest state of repair this year.

Here's a terribly inaccurate news feature and interview about the new Terroride:

http://fox13now.com/2017/06/18/lagoons-terroride-undergoes-a-massive-renovation/

They did a lot more than just add lighting, it's not the same ride at all. It's massively souped up but still has many old things. They were aiming for Disney quality, and I'd say they somewhat approached that on a smaller scale.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree! Nothing they sell at the park's gift shops even come close to this one, single design. Maybe they'll realize they need to hire more artists like this instead of just letting the t-shirt company throw stuff together with their name on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lagoon has finally acknowledged the re-imagined Terroride. They're celebrating the ride's 50th b-day all next week with $40 entry culminating with the official grand opening celebration Friday the 14th! (The ride has been soft-open for a month)

Here's the commercial, filmed inside the ride:

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

I agree! Nothing they sell at the park's gift shops even come close to this one, single design. Maybe they'll realize they need to hire more artists like this instead of just letting the t-shirt company throw stuff together with their name on it.
I loved the Cedar Point Shirt with Raptor, Wicked Twister, Maverick, Corkscrew, Magnum, Millennium Force, Mantis, and Maverick on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Interesting. Lagoon will soon by my new home park when I go off to school for the next four years starting this fall, so I'm excited to follow the development of this. The name is actually pretty cool.
Aggie or Ute?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Aggie!

I got a season pass and went to the park yesterday. I've been to the park before, but it was a while ago, and today was my first time on Cannibal. Just a few notes about this park.

-I LOVE that basically none of the rides have redundant seatbelts. Even the PTC trains on Roller Coaster have JUST the lap bar. It makes dispatches go so much faster. Fire Dragon runs one train and still eats through people because it takes about 20 seconds to send a train (especially since the lap bars don't need to be lowered for the train to dispatch, so it will go through the ride with several open seats.). The only coaster in the entire park that has a redundant belt is the Bat (Vekoma SFC).

-Everything felt really well-maintained. Fire Dragon was GLASS smooth (like seriously, SUPER smooth) and looked freshly painted too. Even the almost-100-year-old Roller Coaster was super comfortable and enjoyable (then again, I avoided any wheel seats). Every coaster they have is very enjoyable, except the Bat. Those Vekoma SFCs just aren't good. Seriously though. The Maurer Spinner, the Wild Mouse, the two Schwarzkopfs, the in-house coasters, Wicked...they are all great. I'm proud to call this park my new home park.

-However, one complaint I have of the park is the ridiculous single rider policy. They have single rider lines and they operate them well; that isn't the issue. The issue is they don't let single riders ride in the front or back seats alone. I waited for front row on Fire Dragon only to be moved to the 2nd row because I was alone. I don't understand this policy at all, but I of course respected it, because the operators are just doing their job.

-Also, Samurai was closed. Sorta bummed. Hopefully they get it open soon. I love Top Scans so much.

Overall love this park. Can't wait to visit again before the season ends.

Two kids died at the park in separate incidents in 1989. One on Puff and one on Roller Coaster. Both were single riders in the back seat. The park decided that allowing single riders in the back seat was just too much of a risk since nobody else on the train would be aware of a rider in that position so nobody would try to stop them from doing anything stupid. The front seat thing is more morbid. On Puff, there's this big dragon head blocking the view of the track. It seems a single rider in the front seat may not have even seen the accident which involved the train looping back around and hitting a rider who fell out on the previous lap. Having two riders in the front doubles the chance of getting a reliable witness to such an accident.

I think these accidents were really hard on Lagoon. Although there had been other deaths at the park they were all very far in the past before the current family of owners was involved. Puff was the last roller coaster the park built for like 15 years even while they closed the 'new wilder wild mouse'. I think they were afraid to build roller coasters for quite a while, and the park was honestly going downhill for a decade afterwards. I'm glad it has recovered but I suspect there's absolutely zero chance of the park changing this policy they've had for 27 years. I don't like it either but I'm pretty used to it by now.

I think Samurai has been down all season. That's pretty unusual for a ride at Lagoon.

-I LOVE that basically none of the rides have redundant seatbelts. Even the PTC trains on Roller Coaster have JUST the lap bar. It makes dispatches go so much faster. Fire Dragon runs one train and still eats through people because it takes about 20 seconds to send a train (especially since the lap bars don't need to be lowered for the train to dispatch, so it will go through the ride with several open seats.). The only coaster in the entire park that has a redundant belt is the Bat (Vekoma SFC).

Yes, the dispatches on Fire Dragon are very fast. It could be the nostalgia since I grew up 15 minutes away from Lagoon but that's probably my 2nd favorite ride in the entire park, with the 1st being Cannibal. It rarely holds much of a line due to the fast dispatches, even on busier days. Now if they'd just bring the old sign back...

I think Samurai has been down all season. That's pretty unusual for a ride at Lagoon.

I haven't seen Samurai open at all this season, which is really a shame because it's popular and fun. At the beginning of the season it wasn't even put back together. It looks to be rebuilt now but I still haven't seen it open. Catapult has also been closed for a really long time. I'm not sure it has opened at all since the accident a year or two ago. If it has opened since then, I don't recall seeing it running.

Samurai will be closed until the required maintenance has been completed. The only other time Samurai has been closed this long was 10 years ago when the gearbox failed and required a lengthy rebuild, but it was back up operating on opening day 2008. I would imagine it will be open on opening day 2018 at the latest. It's just a shame that it has had to be neutered and is just a shadow of it's former self from the year and couple of years after it opened.

• 2 weeks later...
How should the crowds be this weekend? How will tomorrow be compared to Sunday or Monday? I know it is a holiday weekend, but hopefully it won't be too bad. Does Cannibal have a single rider line?
Holidays and Holiday Weekends are never Bad at Lagoon. Yes, Cannibal and Wicked have Single Rider Lines.