Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

P. 45: The beginning of a waterpark in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Postby bluestreak » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:59 pm

I'll be at the park sometime the week of August 6th. Can't wait! Any tips for a first time visitor? Doesn't seem like this park has anything to be concerned about. Sometimes I get worried small parks won't have rides open for one reason or another.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:22 pm

^ Will you be there all day or only part of the day?

Yankee Cannonball will close it's queue a half hour before closing and the flume will usually do the same too. Outside of that, everything should be open.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:49 pm

I stopped by the park tonight after work and checked in on the progress of the water park. I have to think it may just open in time for the end of summer. The lazy river was filled and had empty rafts cycling. Then the splash pad had water going as well.

Water Slides.jpg
The lazy river is filled with water and tubes. That sure looks like a good sign.

Splash Pad.jpg
Do those sprayers seem to be pretty close to the ground? I'm just picturing a kid running over them.

Also the park closed 45 minutes early due to a thunderstorm. I didn't expect to get a free ticket or anything considering it was so late in the day, but employees were stationed by the exit giving free twilight passes. That's awesome customer service! Hopefully I can come back once they get their water park open.

Return Ticket.jpg
I wasn't expecting a free ticket, but I'll take it. Thanks Canobie!
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Really enjoying my first visit to the park... So much so that we will be staying till closing instead of bouncing early to go to SFNE
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Just make sure you get in line for the Yankee Cannonball at least a half hour before closing if you want to finish with it. They make sure there aren't any trains dispatching after closing.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Today was an awesome day to stop by Canobie after work. The downpour earlier made the park a ghost town and I got to witness this beautiful rainbow over the Yankee Cannonball.
Screenshot_20180822-185040.png

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby bkwjjm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Today was an awesome day to stop by Canobie after work. The downpour earlier made the park a ghost town and I got to witness this beautiful rainbow over the Yankee Cannonball.

Great pic of my favorite wooden coaster! Thanks for sharing.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 am

I stopped in last night to check out Screeemfest (yes that's how they actually spell it) for the second year in a row. And I have to say, that the park has really done an excellent job. I find the interactivity of the scare actors in haunts and the midways exceeds the other New England haunts. For example, a dude dressed as a rabbit with a chainsaw chased a group of teenagers all the way from the Palace Arcace past Star Blaster. That's dedication!

IMG_20180928_175353.jpg
Yes it really does have 3 Es in a row.

IMG_20180928_181847.jpg
There were scare actors everywhere. Far more than last year.

The park was very empty. I suspected persistent rain through the afternoon and the fact that it was still September would keep people away and I was right. The longest I waited for any haunt or ride was 10 minutes, but most attractions were walk-ons. For comparison, the Friday right before Halloween last year was pulling half hour plus waits for all haunts and the Yankee Cannonball. One new addition this year is an express pass for all the haunts. For $15, you can skip all the haunt queues. I barely saw anyone using it tonight, but that would be a big timesaver once crowds pick up.

I tried all 5 haunts since gate admission is all inclusive. The best by far is Carnivus. The ride perfectly embraces the carnival theme and nails the abandoned carnival feel. There's something unsettling and cool walking down a dimly lit midway of carnival games only to have a scare actor jump out. This haunt also has the most to look at and the lighting made it possible to see everything. This is a perfect example where you can make an effective haunt while still having enough light to actually see the entire set. Plus it has some neat tricks towards the end like a claustrophobic tunnel, mirror maze, and vertigo tunnel.

IMG_20180928_213304.jpg
This is the haunt that makes Screeemfest worth it.

The Canobie Hotel had very good theming, but it was so dark that it was hard to notice all the details. I can't recall any special tricks, but there were plenty of scare actors.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of the Village. As a haunt persepctive, I found it to be the least inspired. There was barely any theming and it was very reliant on the chainsaw scare. I believe I counted no less than 5-6 actors with chainsaws. From a park perspective, it's placement in the park causes the closure of Mine of Lost Souls. It's bizarre the park has to close their "haunted house" during their haunt event, but this has been happening for years. The highlight was the employee at the entrance. He was really into his character and going as far to drink a gallon of blood (aka red water). This is the most skippable of all the haunts.

IMG_20180928_190423.jpg
The Village's church entrance looks impressive, but after that it's mostly chaibsaw gags.

The Culling returned from last year and it's just as bizarre. While most live actors in haunts spend time directly scaring guests, the Culling is somehwat unsettling since half the scare actors are quietly participating in cult rituals. This makes the actor who does try to scare you all the more surprising.

The odd thing is that the last haunt (Facility 235) could only be accessed by first doing the Culling. The Culling's exit dumped you right off in the queue for Facility 235. I imagine they may try to connect it to the park if possible since the current configuration is a bit weird. As for the haunt, it was just ok. I lile how they reused some old ride vehicles in there, but other than that, nothing stood out.

And I still had plenty of time to ride all the park's best flats and coasters. I got 9 rides on the Yankee Cannonball and it was running well despite the cooler temperatures.

IMG_20180928_175727.jpg
Some theming for the Yankee Cannonball.

I found it interesting they removed the Xtreme Frisbee from the Screeemfest ride list entirely considering it was running towards the end of summer. Xtreme Frisbee joined the water rides and Mine of Lost Souls on the list of rides not open for the event. They also had Skater running despite it being closed all summer.

I was shocked by the number of unsupervised teenagers in the park. Finding a parent in the park would have been like finding Waldo. This led to some less than stellar behavior like people sliding their legs out the side of the Rowdy Roosters and jumping out before it came to a complete stop.

I still think Lake Compounce's Haunted Graveyard is the top dog in New England, but Canobie really does have a great event.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!